Tour Guides

Developing the city of Almalexia. Currently on HIATUS.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Tour Guides

Post by Dormichigan64 »

Before I start, I would just like to ask: has it been confirmed whether or not Almalexia/Mournhold is going to be overhauled? I just can't be bothered to read the whole three-page thread.

Onto the point. Because Almalexia is such a large city, it can be hard to navigate, like Vivec. That's why they have gondoliers to take you to the different cantons. So I thought it would be a good idea to add something alike to Almalexia. Introducing the new Tour Guides of Almalexia!
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz
horus
Developer

Post by horus »

I like it! Would they fast travel you to various locations, like the gondoliers, or would they walk you there themselves? I'm sure the first one would be a lot easier to implement, but the latter might be more immersive, considering they would actually be guiding you through the city. Just thoughts.
Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Post by Dormichigan64 »

F*** immersion! This is Morrowind!

Not really. I was thinking fast travel, though.
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I think gondolas and rickshaws can probably take care of fast-travel in Almalexia.

As for tour guides, while the idea has been mentioned before, I do not think it would properly reflect the xenophobic nature of House Indoril. Perhaps there could be a quest with an Imperial tour guide or something in Kingsreach, which could lead to some fun developments.
horus
Developer

Post by horus »

I didn't realize that rickshaws would be implemented in Almalexia, which takes care of fast travel in the city. Those are probably a more realistic solution than the tour guides would be, anyhow.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Frankly I think this is a very poor cliche idea, but I'll expand somewhat on what I like about it. A city as large as Almalexia will need ways to fast travel around the city or and find things more easily. A good solution for this would be scout-like characters. If we had children in our mod I would say street kids who might know how to get around the city better than most would be a good option. We could use homeless beggars as an alternative here. Looking for a quick way to earn small coin beggars and homeless people will lead you to locations of interest for a small fee. They might also be selling worthless junk like fake jewelry or the most common flower found in the city.

For fast travel they will instantly take you to their clone in another district. Maybe there are 5-6 of the identical beggar. In each district there could be 3-4 locations where they will actually lead you where you want to go within the local area. I see this as a reasonable, interesting and needed feature. In addition to rickshaws this should greatly improve mobility around the city.
my opinion.
Dormichigan64
Developer

Post by Dormichigan64 »

I didn't think about rickshaws. That would definitely be better. As for the beggar idea, I don't think identical beggars would be a good idea; first you see him there, five minutes later you see the same person on the other side of the city. I like the idea. Maybe some beggars would offer you transportation if you're in the thieves guild, for free.

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

I may be wrong, but I don't think there will be many homeless beggars in Almalexia (at least, not Dunmer ones). Indoril nobility give them charity, including accommodation.

There might be a few foreign beggars in those regions of the city.
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote:I may be wrong, but I don't think there will be many homeless beggars in Almalexia (at least, not Dunmer ones). Indoril nobility give them charity, including accommodation.

There might be a few foreign beggars in those regions of the city.
This is correct. Part of the theme of Great House Indoril is charity; they wouldn't be very good members of the Tribunal Temple if they allowed poverty to run (obviously) rampant throughout their capital (and only) city! Any poor/homeless people will likely be outlanders/non Temple followers and also be outside of the city, geographically.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I actually think that rickshaws and, maybe, gondolas should be quite sufficient on their own. The current (rough) layout for Almalexia was made with ease of navigation in mind, so the city layout will probably not be excessively obfuscated and the player should find his way. I would consider handling travel through dialogue so that the player can go to more than four locations, but all of that remains to be seen.

Keep in mind that Almalexia -- as currently planned -- will occupy pretty much the exact number of cells as Vivec, just more tightly packed and fully in the exterior.