Old Ebonheart Dialogue Planning Thread

Development of the Imperial city of Old Ebonheart on the Eastern Mouth of the Thirr River.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Rats
Lead Developer

Old Ebonheart Dialogue Planning Thread

Post by Rats »

This is the [generic] dialogue planning thread for Old Ebonheart. I know gro-Dhal's planned on writing some dialogue as well as Ironed Maidens, but others are obviously welcome too. Anyone willing to contribute should see [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24304]Old Ebonheart Concept thread[/url], and download and explore the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24615]latest Section file[/url] to get the feel of the town.

Old Ebonheart should feel like Cyrodiil rather than Morrowind. No one calls the player an 'outlander'. The city will house people of varying backgrounds and social statutes; the richer folk live in the west side and the town gradually becomes poorer as you go east.

Here's something to get this going.

someone in particular

This is the poor side of town, pal. Aren't that many persons of note living here. Otrebus Delagia, the loanshark, is the boss of Delagia's gang. The self-titled Cap'n Fentus and his crew frequent the Empress Katariah Inn. The honorable Admiral Potemus Marolus can be found in the Navy Command Post down by the docks.

Morrowind lore

There are no horses in Morrowind, and the Dark Elves haven't shown much interest or ability in the art of horsemanship. Instead they choose to ride on the backs of giant insects or in carriages drawn by raw-looking reptiles.

Western sorcerers often have a hard time adjusting to life in the East. The Dark Elves have a fanatical approach to magick, and one must constantly struggle to remember what they think is a punishable herecy and what is acceptable.

Morrowind was the last province to become a part of the Empire, after Tiber Septim made the Dark Elves surrender and their leaders sign the Treaty of the Armistace. The enlightened natives recognize the Treaty as mutually beneficial and are loyal subjects to the Imperial throne, but I hear there are still some unruly savages left in the far-corners of the province.

Dark Elves often belong to a so-called Great House. There are five of them, but House Hlaalu being the House that sired our good King Helseth is the most important one.

Slavery is obviously a great source of schisms between civilized folk and the natives in this province. One musn't pass hasty judgments, though. Because slaves are expensive they are often well-kept and cared for and the conditions in which they live are far superior when compared to their place of origin.

latest rumors

The Castle vaults were broken into recently. It's been kept a secret, so naturally everybody and their aunt in Skingrad knows about it. No one's got a clue as to who is behind the robbery and how they managed to pull it off. I hear the vaults were supposed to be unbreakable, spellbound and all that, protected by the Mages' Guild themselves.

A group of Dark Elven slavehunters was barred from entering the city recently. The townsguard stopped them at the main gate after seeing they were all armed to teeth and realizing their intentions. Supposedly, the group was after an escaped slave who had managed to escape to the safety of our city.

The last batch of Legion recruits were ordered straight for Cyrodiil after their basic training ended. Everybody is wondering if that will be the case with the next batch and the batch after that. Some faint-hearted souls are even worried that if the unrest in the Imperial City continues to grow they might call the Legions back altogether, but that's unlikely.

The Count of Leyawiin was exposed of having an affair with several of Her Ladyship's handmaidens, not one of them Imperial nor noble by birth. What a scandal! Yes, well, it may not seem very important to the people in here, but you can imagine it caused quite a stir in Cyrodiil.

Tribunal

For years I have lived in this alien land and felt Kynareth's breath on my brow, seen Dibella's beauty in the dawn's sun, and loved and guided my lay brethren with Mara's kindness and Julianos's wisdom. Yet I have never felt even the slightest tingle from the self-proclaimed gods of the Dark Elves. What good are them, hiding in their crypt-like palaces?

The Tribunal are the three sorcerer-kings whom the Dark Elves of the Tribunal Temple have come to worship as living gods. Despite the Nine Divines' growing popularity among the natives, some of them still choose to worship them. Of course, as free citizens of the Empire they have the right to remain heathens if they so desire.

They're the gods the natives worship, aren't they? I know two of them are named after cities in which they live. Vivec lives in Vivec, and Almalexia lives in Almalexia.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

These seem really good so far. I'll think up some stuff too.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Morrowind Lore

"Morrowind was the last province to become a part of the Empire"

That would be the Aldmeri Dominion; I'd cut this bit out.

"Treaty of the Armistace" -> "Treaty of the Armistice"

"Dark Elves often belong to a so-called Great House. There are five of them, but House Hlaalu being the House that sired our good King Helseth is the most important one."

I'd personally put either commas or dashes at either end of 'being the House that sired our good King Helseth'. Also, is this line said by Dunmer? I'm not sure if most citizens of Old Ebonheart would see Helseth as their king, except perhaps sarcastically. That is up for debate, though. (If the line is meant to be sarcastic, I'd put single quotes around 'good', or write "our 'good king' Helseth").

"Slavery is obviously a great source of schisms"

I personally think 'great source of schism' or 'source of many schisms' would work better.

Tribunal

"What good are them, [...]" -> "what good are they, [...]"

Also, I found the line about the Tribunal being named after their cities amusing. You might want to write "The Dark Elves claim their god Vivec lives in the city Vivec, and their god Almalexia lives in their capital, Almalexia."

This is certainly a good start, I can't wait to read more. :)
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I'd imagine they'd at least hold a nominal respect for Helseth, since he's the Emperor's recognized vassal and his family hailed from Ebonheart originally. Perhaps change it to "the good king Helseth".
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Ah yeah, that would also work.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Greetings

Welcome to Old Ebonheart, citizen - a slice of Cyrodiil in these ash-stricken lands.

Welcome to Morrowind’s ebony heart, citizen. Long may its walls brandish the ruby banner!

Let me guess. You’re another immigrant from the Heartland, right?

Little Advice

A loyal subject of the Emperor will not find a safer haven than Old Ebonheart. At least not east of the Valus Mountains, that is. Here we proudly share the bonds of Imperial citizenship. Compare that to the native Dunmer. Their bickering clans know nothing of peace.

Little Secret

Ever since the old King Llethan opened Vvardenfell to settlement, immigrants from all over Tamriel have flooded into Old Ebonheart, making their way north. Why anyone would want to settle that blighted rock is beyond me.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

"The last batch of Legion recruits were ordered straight for Cyrodiil after their basic training ended. Everybody is wondering if that will be the case with the next batch and the batch after that. Some faint-hearted souls are even worried that if the unrest in the Imperial City continues to grow they might call the Legions back altogether, but that's unlikely."

I believe the vanilla topic is "unrest in Cyrodiil City".
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Working on this; excited for it.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Tondollari wrote:Considering how different the poor area is from the rest of OE, would it be worth assigning short values (TR_OEpoor=1)to slum residents? This could be helpful in generic dialogue as well as quests.

Edit: meant to put this in dialogue planning thread
That sounds good. I had something similar in mind with TR_OE_poor, TR_OE_common, and TR_OE_rich local variables.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Vivec
Yes, I've seen the city across the Inner Sea a few times, on sunny days. It seems so alien to me, I'd rather be here in Old Ebonheart any day. Away from the strange native laws the godking has put in place there. If you do want to visit the city though, you could probably take a boat from the harbor.

latest rumors
It seems Kvatch is doing well back in Cyrodiil. The wine harvests have exceptionally good. Let's hope the new batch arrives here soon, and doesn't get held up too long at the Almas Thirr customs lock.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Little Advice: This one of the only places on the Askkaedh Coast where you can find quality supplies and the comforts of Imperial living. There's Anjzhirra's Rare Goods right across from the chapel in high-town, but you better have enough coin to throw around and buy something, or else you'll get booted to the street. If you're on more of a budget, you can look at Arnulf's on the eastern end of town. Just try not to get mugged on your way in the door.

Little Advice: People seem to forget that we're just a stone's-throw away from Vivec and the 'New' Ebonheart. I'm not sure if the Empire moved their headquarters so closely to the holy city of the Dunmer on purpose or not, but the smartest thing you can do is pretend Vvardenfell is another continent entirely and not bring up the fact to anyone. There's people here who find much more pressing matters in the volatile nature of the mainland than they do on some island across from them.

Little Advice: Buy low, sell high. If you can do that, you can run a better shop than Yaguz gro-Dhaluk, the poor man put everything he had into the shop, but it seems to be failing.

Little Advice: Aristocrats and high-and-mighty nobles flood Old Ebonheart's castle and the western end of town. You might want to watch what you say when you're in those areas, the walls are lined with gold, eyes, and ears. It's not uncommon to hear a pauper disrespecting a noble family one minute, and then seeing him be dragged away by the guards the next.

Little Advice: There's an old saying my uncle used to say, 'The road to Old Eboneart is paved with good intentions; and the blood of many angry Dunmer. But mainly the blood of many angry Dunmer.'

Little Advice: Do yourself a favor and get a decent weapon before trudging off into the wretched wilds outside the gates. I've heard all sorts of horror stories from friends and travelers making their way between the cities. Bandits raiding caravans, rogue mages raiding caravans, vampires raiding caravans, even caravans raiding other caravans! If only the Empire could entirely control this nation, maybe then the people of Morrowind would know peace and harmony.

Little Advice: You've got your western end of town; that's where the Grand Chapel of Talos and the fighter's guild are, and it's where all the royalty likes to go. Heading north from the plaza will bring you across the bridge to the castle. I don't think they have a name for the bridge, though I've heard 'Talo's Tail', 'Gray Emperor Way', 'Million Stone Bridge', and 'Akatosh and the Askkaedh', to name a few. Then east of that you've got your mid-town; modest merchants, middle-class housing, and the mage's guild. Further east still and you're in the commons. Lots of opportunity to make a quick septim there, if you don't mind getting your hands, or, ahem, claws, dirty. I would stay away from Otrebus Delagia's house though, people tend to go in there and come back out looking worse than a guar with Scarlet Fever. If you head north of there then you'll come to the wharf. My favorite spot in the city, personally. You can just sit and watch the boats bob up and down on the waves all day long if you want. Plus the smell of the sea and the sound of the Empire bustling...there's no other feeling like it.

Little Advice: Steer clear of Otrebus Delagia's house, citizen. The guards are always trying to survey and lock down on the residence, but no matter what there are seedy people who leech in and out of there, doing one thing or another to make life for us hard-working common people that much more unbearable. I think the people in there get paranoid sometimes though, because suddenly there will be no more traffic around the house for a day or two, and then it starts right back up again.

Little Advice: Go see Yuaile if you want quality enchantments without having to deal with the mages guild. I don't dislike the guild itself, but the enchanter over there was over-heard talking about how Ashlander methods of enchanting are superior to anyone else's and I don't think the guild should be associated with someone of such a mindset.

Little Advice: The Cyrodillic wines we have in town are much better than the local swill. Taste-wise there is no crisper drink than Kvatch Wine, and if you need to pack an extra punch in a pinch, then there is no replacement for Sutch Wine. The Surilie Brothers make a fine wine that I swear will make you more persuasive the more you drink. All of the wines come from the temperate climate regions of Cyrodiil, and the soil there is much more different than here in Morrowind, so the taste and quality is something you just can't grow in this province.

Little Advice: Watch out for spies in the castle. Lately there have been murmurs of the higher court being infiltrated by either the Thieves Guild or even the Camonna Tong. I shudder to think what either of them would be planning to do with our wonderful city.

Little Advice: The city has much to offer, even for a %PCClass like you. Various shops and taverns are all around, and if you're ever looking for adventure there's always someone in need of help. Just try not to form any alliances with people you may regret doing so with; there's a very distinct hierarchy of favorable and unsavory people in the city. It's never a good idea to make enemies with people who can have you “taken care ofâ€Â￾, even if you do it unknowingly.

Little Advice: Ever been called an outlander? Ha, well no need to worry about that here; we're all loyal citizens of the Empire and this is where we belong. Even the Dark Elves who live here are much more tolerant and all-around pleasant than in other parts of the land.

Little Advice: Keep your coin purse close to you if you're going to the east side of town or down by the docks. The magistrate and the guards like to act like they have the entire city under control, but they are really just sweeping the problem under the rug. Just last week three of the shops got broken into and all I saw the guards do was “promise to followup with a thorough investigationâ€Â￾. We'll see if that ever happens.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Ok Yeti, I'll fix some of them up and try to keep the subtlety with the power gap. I was going to a sort of small brush of the looming decline of the city with this line
Little Advice: Steer clear of Otrebus Delagia's house, citizen. The guards are always trying to survey and lock down on the residence, but no matter what there are seedy people who leech in and out of there, doing one thing or another to make life for us hard-working common people that much more unbearable. I think the people in there get paranoid sometimes though, because suddenly there will be no more traffic around the house for a day or two, and then it starts right back up again.
Do you think this is ok? It kind of just hints that there is some seediness that the guards cannot control.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Aeven wrote:Vivec
Yes, I've seen the city across the Inner Sea a few times, on sunny days. It seems so alien to me, I'd rather be here in Old Ebonheart any day. Away from the strange native laws the godking has put in place there. If you do want to visit the city though, you could probably take a boat from the harbor.
I'm not sure about the first sentence. It might sound silly depending on the players' distant land settings. One of the few sources we have for calculating the intended scale of Tamriel is a line from the [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/content/pocket-guide-empire-first-edition-morrowind]1st PGE[/url]:
A Pocket Guide to The Empire and its environs, First Edition wrote:On a clear day (an exceedingly rare event), the peak [of Red Mountain] can be seen from Almalexia, 250 miles to the south.
Going by that, and off of this [url=http://i.imgur.com/ajc6Phj.jpg]createmaps[/url], the distance between Vivec and Old Ebonheart would be (very) roughly 25 miles. Though I wouldn't necessarily put too much stock into that line.
As a further nitpick, I'd change "the godking" to "their 'godking'". To Imperialized citizens, the Tribunal are a foreign, backwards concept of dubious nature. Especially with the Tribunal not having appeared in public for a long time, their very existence is often put into question, or denied outright.
---
On to Ironed Maidens:

"[...] This one of the only places on the Askkaedh Coast [...]" -> "[...] This is one of the only places on the Askkaedh Coast [...]", and I think we're just calling it the Ascadian Coast at this point.
Ironed Maidens wrote:Little Advice: People seem to forget that we're just a stone's-throw away from Vivec and the 'New' Ebonheart.
Same issue as with Aeven's topic; if Vivec is clearly visible, I'm not sure people would forget its presence, though that's debatable. Also, not sure if you'd call 25 miles a 'stone's throw', (incidentally written without a hyphen), though, again, I wouldn't put too much stock into that quote.

"[...] If you can do that, you can run a better shop than Yaguz gro-Dhaluk, the poor man put everything he had into the shop, but it seems to be failing." -> "[...] If you can do that, you can run a better shop than Yaguz gro-Dhaluk: the poor man put everything he had into the shop, but it seems to be failing."
A period or semi-colon might work as well. Also, I'm not sure if one would say 'man' when referring to an Orc, but it wouldn't surprise me if even Bethesda overlooked that detail.

"[...] You might want to watch what you say when you're in those areas, the walls are lined with gold, eyes, and ears. [...]" -> "[...] You might want to watch what you say when you're in those areas; the walls are lined with gold, eyes, and ears. [...]"
A colon or maybe period could work as well.

"[...] There's an old saying my uncle used to say, 'The road to Old Eboneart is paved with good intentions; and the blood of many angry Dunmer. But mainly the blood of many angry Dunmer." -> "[...] There's an old saying my uncle used to say: 'the road to Old Eboneart is paved with good intentions. And the blood of many angry Dunmer. But mainly the blood of many angry Dunmer.'" or: "[...] There's an old saying my uncle used to say: 'the road to Old Eboneart is paved with good intentions and the blood of many angry Dunmer. But mainly the blood of many angry Dunmer.'"
Ironed Maidens wrote:Little Advice: You've got your western end of town; [...]
Keep in mind that dialogue entries should be kept short; I think the limit for an entry is 512 characters? This entry is rather long. I'm personally not a fan of the bridge names, and more to the point don't think the bridge needs a name, so I'd start by cutting that out. My suggestions:
"Little Advice: You've got your western end of town; that's where the Grand Chapel of Talos and the Fighters' Guild are, and it's where all the royalty [nobility? Royalty would probably not visit much] likes to go. Heading north from the plaza will bring you across the bridge to the castle. East of uptown you've got your mid-town; modest merchants, middle-class housing, and the Mages' Guild. Further east still and you're downtown. ['commons' in this context would typically mean public area or park. I think we can get away with using 'uptown' and 'downtown' for OE] Lots of opportunity to make a quick Septim there, if you don't mind getting your hands, or, ahem, claws, dirty. [This should be filtered; doesn't make sense if the player is not a beast race] I would stay away from Otrebus Delagia's house though, people tend to go in there and come back out looking worse than a guar with Scarlet Fever. If you head north of there then you'll come to the wharf. My favorite spot in the city, personally. You can just sit and watch the boats bob up and down on the waves all day long if you want. Plus the smell of the sea and the sound of the Empire bustling...there's no other feeling like it."
That being said, a lot of this information would fit better in 'specific place', and it would be a little silly if more than one NPC said the last bit about their 'favourite spot in the city'.

"[...] lock down on the residence, [...]" -> "[...] lock down the residence, [...]"

"[...] without having to deal with the mages guild. [...]" -> "[...] without having to deal with the Mages' Guild. [...]", and 'overheard' doesn't need a hyphen.
Ironed Maidens wrote:[...] All of the wines come from the temperate climate regions of Cyrodiil, [...]
Eh, as someone who is not much of a fan of Oblivion's portrayal of Cyrodiil, I'd rather this bit be left out. At the time of Morrowind, central Cyrodiil was still an equatorial rainforest. This point is very debatable from several angles, but I think the entry works just as well without the line, so removing it does little harm:
"[...] The soil there is very different than here in Morrowind, so the taste and quality is something you just can't grow in this province."
This entry sounds a little game-y in general, though it might still work as-is.

Edit: sorry for the ugly formatting, by the way. I didn't want to spend another half hour making it look readable...
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

latest rumors
From what I've heard, a group of chroniclers from the capital is heading for Old Ebonheart. They've been traveling across the Empire to cover the major success stories of our endeavor in this alien nation.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

What I was going for with naming the bridge was more of a local flavor type of thing. It doesn't really need to have a name, but similar to how Khartag Point is a place of 'local legend' on Vvardenfell, it's an inconsequential thing that just gives a sense of 'people talk/gossip' to the world. Weather it is really named anything or not is of no concern really.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Khartag point is used in a quest; its legend is there to justify it being a named cell while it's still empty.
A story related to the bridge could work, and would provide a reason to mention a name. Might work as a localized 'Morrowind lore' entry. I think the names by themselves don't impart much flavour.
Aeven wrote:latest rumors
From what I've heard, a group of chroniclers from the capital is heading for Old Ebonheart. They've been traveling across the Empire to cover the major success stories of our endeavor in this alien nation.
Should be 'are'.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Not really, a group of chroniclers. Singular. They are acting as a group, not opposed to each other.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

You're right, of course. I don't know how I missed that.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I've edited together the dialogue listed above, just to give us a sense of what holes we still need to fill in. These are just for the town - I imagine the castle will receive its own branch of dialogue.

[spoiler]Greetings - 10 topics

Welcome to Old Ebonheart, citizen - a slice of Cyrodiil in these ash-stricken lands.

Welcome to Morrowind’s ebony heart, citizen. Long may its walls brandish the ruby banner!

Let me guess. You’re another immigrant from the Heartland, right?

Old Ebonheart - 3 topics

Rich

Common

Poor

Latest rumors - 6 topics (save last two for quest hooks)

The last batch of Legion recruits were ordered straight for Cyrodiil after their basic training ended. Everybody is wondering if that will be the case with the next batch and the batch after that. Some faint-hearted souls are even worried that if the unrest in the Imperial City continues to grow they might call the Legions back altogether, but that's unlikely.

It seems Kvatch’s vineyards are doing well back in Cyrodiil. Their wine vintages have been exceptionally good, as of late. Let's hope the new batch arrives here soon, and doesn't get held up too long at the Almas Thirr customs lock.

Steer clear of Otrebus Delagia's house, citizen. The guards are always trying to survey and lock down his residence, but no matter what there are seedy people who leech in and out of there, doing one thing or another to make life for hard-working common people that much more unbearable. I think those riffraff must get paranoid sometimes though, because suddenly there will be no traffic around the house for a day or two, and then it starts right back up again.

Little advice - 5 topics

A loyal subject of the Emperor will not find a safer haven than Old Ebonheart. At least not east of the Valus Mountains. Here we proudly share the bonds of Imperial citizenship. Compare that to the native Dunmer. Their bickering clans know nothing of peace.
Buy low, sell high. If you can do that, you can run a better shop than Yaguz gro-Dhaluk. The poor Orc put everything into his shop, but it seems to be failing.

Do yourself a favor and get a decent weapon before trudging off into the wretched wilds outside the gates. I've heard all sorts of horror stories from travelers making their way between cities. Bandits raiding caravans, rogue mages raiding caravans, vampires raiding caravans – even caravans raiding other caravans! If only Morrowind’s people had more respect for Imperial law. Maybe then their nation would know peace and harmony.

Go see Yuaile if you want quality enchantments without having to deal with the Mages Guild. I don't dislike the guild itself, but the enchanter over there was over-heard talking about how Telvanni methods of enchanting are superior to anyone else's and I don't think the guild should be associated with someone of such a mindset.

Little secrets - 5 topics

Ever since the old King Llethan opened Vvardenfell to settlement, immigrants from all over Tamriel have flooded into Old Ebonheart, making their way north. Why anyone would want to settle that blighted rock is beyond me.

Ever been called an outlander? Ha, well no need to worry about that here; we're all loyal citizens of the Empire and this is where we belong. Even the Dark Elves who live here are more tolerant and all-around pleasant than in other parts of the land.

Morrowind lore - 5-7 topics

There are no horses in Morrowind, and the Dark Elves haven't shown much interest or ability in the art of horsemanship. Instead they choose to ride on the backs of giant insects or in carriages drawn by raw-looking reptiles.

Western sorcerers often have a hard time adjusting to life in the East. The Dark Elves have a fanatical approach to magick, and one must constantly struggle to remember what they think is a punishable heresy and what is acceptable.

Morrowind became part of the Empire after Tiber Septim made the Dark Elves surrender and their leaders sign the Treaty of the Armistice. The more enlightened natives recognize the Treaty as mutually beneficial and are loyal subjects to the Imperial throne, but I hear there are still some unruly savages left in the far-corners of the province.

Dark Elves often belong to a so-called Great House. There are five of them, but House Hlaalu – being the House that sired the good King Helseth – is the most important one.

Slavery is obviously a great source of many schisms between civilized folk and the natives in this province. One mustn’t pass hasty judgments, though. Because slaves are expensive they are often well-kept and cared for and the conditions in which they live are far superior when compared to their place of origin.

Services - 3 topics

Rich

Along the Ascadian Coast, you can find the finest supplies and the best comforts of Imperial living here in Old Ebonheart. There's Anjzhirra's Rare Goods right across from the chapel in High-Town. You better have enough coin to throw around and buy something, or else you'll get booted to the street. If you're on more of a budget, you can look at Arnulf's on the eastern end of town. Just try not to get mugged on your there.

Common

Poor

Someone in particular - 3 topics

Rich

Common

Poor

This is the poor side of town, pal. Aren't that many persons of note living here. Otrebus Delagia, the loanshark, is the boss of Delagia's gang. The self-titled Cap'n Fentus and his crew frequent the Empress Katariah Inn. The honorable Admiral Potemus Marolus can be found in the Navy Command Post down by the docks.

Specific place - 3 topics

Rich

Common

Poor

Well, you've got your western end of town; that's where the Grand Chapel of Talos and the Fighters Guild are, and where all the noble folk live. Heading north from the plaza will bring you across the bridge to Ebonheart Castle. East of high-town you've got your mid-town; modest merchants, middle-class housing, and the Mages Guild. Further east still and you're in low-town. Lots of opportunity to make a quick Septim there, if you don't mind getting your hands, or, ahem, claws, dirty. I would stay away from Otrebus Delagia's house though, people tend to go in there and come back out looking worse than a guar with Scarlet Fever. If you head north of there then you'll come to the wharf. You can just sit and watch the boats bob up and down on the waves all day long if you want. Plus the smell of the sea and the sound of the Empire bustling...there's no other feeling like it.

Tribunal

Imperial Cult

For years I have lived in this alien land and felt Kynareth's breath on my brow, seen Dibella's beauty in the dawn's sun, and loved and guided my lay brethren with Mara's kindness and Julianos's wisdom. Yet I have never felt even the slightest tingle from the self-proclaimed gods of the Dark Elves. What good are they, hiding in their crypt-like palaces?

Rich

The Tribunal are the three sorcerer-kings whom the Dark Elves of the Tribunal Temple have come to worship as living gods. Despite the Nine Divines' growing popularity among the natives, some of them still choose to worship these dubious deities. Of course, as free citizens of the Empire they have the right to remain heathens if they so desire.

Common

They're the gods the natives worship, aren't they? I know two of them are named after cities in which they live. Vivec lives in the city Vivec, and Almalexia lives in in their capital, Almalexia – also called Mournhold.

Poor

Vivec

Yes, I’ve heard a fair share of rumors about the city across the Inner Sea. It sounds so alien to me. I'd rather stay here in Old Ebonheart any day – away from the strange native laws the city’s so-called god-king has put in place there. If you do want to visit the city though, you could probably take a boat from the docks.[/spoiler]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I spotted a few more things to nitpick:
Yeti wrote:From what I've heard, a group of chroniclers from the capital is heading for Old Ebonheart. They've been traveling across the Empire to cover the major success stories of our endeavor in this alien nation.
This would mean the chroniclers are travelling around all of Tamriel to write about Morrowind, which doesn't make much sense. I'd suggest "[...] to cover the major success stories of our endeavors in the provinces" if they're writing about the other provinces as well, and if they're focusing on Morrowind "[...] traveling all across the province to cover the major success stories of our endeavor in this alien land."
Yeti wrote:A loyal subject of the Emperor will not find a safer haven than Old Ebonheart. At least not east of the Valus Mountains. Here we proudly share the bonds of Imperial citizenship. Compare that to the native Dunmer. Their bickering clans know nothing of peace.
This reads more like Morrowind Lore than Little Advice to me.
Yeti wrote:Western sorcerers often have a hard time adjusting to life in the East. The Dark Elves have a fanatical approach to magick, and one must constantly struggle to remember what they think is a punishable heresy and what is acceptable.
I'm pretty sure the general convention for TES is 'magic' and 'magicka'. 'Magick' does pop up in some books, but those books also tend to be riddled with 'thou's and 'verily's.
Yeti wrote:Slavery is obviously a great source of many schisms between civilized folk and the natives in this province. One mustn’t pass hasty judgments, though. Because slaves are expensive they are often well-kept and cared for and the conditions in which they live are far superior when compared to their place of origin.
Not quite sure about this one for Old Ebonheart; it might make more sense in a Hlaalu city like Kragenmar or something. If it is used, we should make sure that members of the Twin Lamps, Khajiit, Argonians, and perhaps members of the Imperial Cult are filtered out.
Yeti wrote:Along the Ascadian Coast, you can find the finest supplies and the best comforts of Imperial living here in Old Ebonheart. There's Anjzhirra's Rare Goods right across from the chapel in High-Town. You better have enough coin to throw around and buy something, or else you'll get booted to the street. If you're on more of a budget, you can look at Arnulf's on the eastern end of town. Just try not to get mugged on your there.
"Just try not to get mugged on your way there."

This is coming along very nicely.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Old Ebonheart Atmospheric Dialogue -

Latest Rumors: Some say the Imperial presence in Morrowind is a testament to the regal power-throne that is Cyrodiil; others say the Dunmer were swindled out of their 'old ways' and force fed the anointed teachings of the West. We here in Old Ebonheart have never seen much disdain for the Empire, but of course we are aware of parts of Morrowind that hate foreigners. I have never personally been to any of those places, but I hear that the Dres lands are the worst; prolific barbarians who frequently attack non-natives.

Latest Rumors: There were some researchers that came through to the castle a while back who were talking to the magistrate about 'focal points', or from what I could overhear. They had a sort of religious tone to their voices, talking about magick wells and blethering on about old Nordic and Neo-Nedic maps that had some firmament scrawlings on them. The head priest over at the Temple of Talos didn't seem very happy about their arrival, either.

Misc (near one of the secret entrances to the OE Sewers): I keep hearing something in the walls! They say I'm just over-worked, but I'm not going to sit here working 17 hours a day, 6 days a week just to be told I don't know what I'm talking abut! Shhh, wait...listen, do you hear it? There it is again! I've been looking around for some kind of rat hole or creature den but there's nothing I can see that would cause the noises. Sometimes... I hear murmurs echoing from below the wall. I bet there is some foul mage or witch to fault for this, and I won't rest until I serve my own justice!

Misc (not sure that this would pertain to, but it's eerie and cool): Apothegm for the world – silence. Incantation for the dead – paternalistic. Anthropic symbioses – chimerical. Swollen from the mind-star of dissident and chauvinistic warlords who speak only with bleeding tongues. Beckon the Shor-scar and inhale the holy prophecy.

Misc (not sure that this would pertain to, but it's eerie and cool): Many lights, too many flames, wind rising, bestowal of cruxes, idols in the mind. Bending, cracking. A door adorned in thorns from the Anther, precise barbs into the flesh of Mundus. Knocking, who's there? A litany of muddied demons, clawing and sprawling out, deep into the underparts of the waking world. What is blood to a god, and what are stars to a mortal? How a calculated and allocated divinity can cease to caress the bounds of holy-sprig and muck-threads is less of a question but more of a virtue in selflessness.

Little Secret: I've lived in Cyrodiil for many years, Leyawiin propagate since I was a young child, and traveled all through the Jerall Mountains; it was cold but refreshing. Moving here to Old Ebonheart, I would swear one of the Counts could come walking over the bridge from the castle at any time. A true extension of the Empire, and a crowing achievement for the Septim dynasty to keep the castle and the town thriving to this day.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

A response (humorous) to the question asked 'why is ther eno Argonia or Skyrim Mission on OE and they are in Ebonheart?

Little Secret: The Argonia Mission in Ebonheart was supposed to be built here originally but the chief royal architect at the time didn't think they needed to be, “represented in an unfounded light for the higher purpose of nor the tactful demystification of such an inherently obscured and probabilistic society; one which concedes to the norm of endemic means of Imperialistic cohesion and also has near-maternal bonds to its heritage and genesis of worldly implementation through the ancestral and purposed omnipresent flora, the Hist. And, furthermore, a perambulate of such construction would further orchestrate the lessening of importance to upholding Imperial laws and almost certainly impose the silhouette of agitated impunity of those within and residing around or about the Imperial jurisdiction forsworn by current living emperor and lord-kin of the Imperial City, anon Cyrodiil, harboring, dealing with, associating with the act of, being accused of the act of, relaying coded messages to elate judiciary movement for the act of, harboring or thus providing quarter or other means of materialistic fortitude to those in the act of, being accused to have associations with those in the act of, parlaying or giving a false justification to any entities or parties or individuals inquiring about or actively being in the act of, hearsay or rumor of enabling or being in the act of, and most importantly; subsequently being in the act of all previous mentions of being in the act of and furthermore masterminding assembly and quotidian workings of while also being monetarily and prosperously driven by the act of, slavery and slaving.â€Â￾ And , “As a unanimous decision has been reached, and as the inquiring parties of all legislative propositions and concerns that bring forth said propositions and concerns to the highest rank of Imperial law, we are the authority to give final word or words on all matters being put forth for consideration. We do inform that at this time no land will be leveled, levered, or laundered nor put aside to be built upon for the commencing of construction or building of said masonry-work or fortification for the purposed 'Argonia Mission' to house local flavorings or services, hire any sort of independent laborers for any predisposed merchantwork, fieldwork, or any task either physical or mental to be payed from Imperial taxation and reserves, or provide a security blanket for the natives and refugees or immigrants from the land of Blackmarsh or also known as Argonia. It is at this point we do understand the concern of the voices raised to have such work done and there will be consideration barring any type of personal or existential overhead, goal, gain, motive, or plot in the future when time and resources permit the forgoing of the elected and selected and purposed act of funding, building, resourcing, and upkeeping a new Mission in Ebonheart.â€Â￾ Seems like a lot of words to say to simply imply they didn't want to spend the money to provide service for Argonians.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

someone in particular (rich)

Many a reputable citizen live in the plaza area. Merxia Vendicci is the director of the East Empire Company and can be found in her manor. Sharnoga gra-Mal is the acting steward of the Fighters' Guild while the grandmaster is away. Decimia Gastoit is the dean of the Archaeological Society. His eminence Strixus Sorvilius is the primate of the Imperial Cult. The gracious Duke Phyrios Mattimus of Deshaan, the provincial ministers, and Lord General Caecalia Victrix of the Imperial Legion reside in the Castle.

someone in particular (common)

The middle classes live in the central part of town. Arquebald Vene is the master of our town's Mages' Guild. Neel Gymont was at least formerly hailed as the province's foremost artist. Hastophos Velifer is a fortune-teller and necromancer, which is quite an unsual profession in Morrowind. Emercius Ludoviil, head of the local union of guildless traders and artisans, can be found in the Craftsmen Street--that's the alley marked by the little flags. Valia Vautere is the publican of the Moth and Tiger inn.

services (rich)
The plaza area and the High Street is where the more exquisite services are. Anjzhirra has luxurious goods and rarities from all over Tamriel. Hamal sells imports from Hammerfell. At Iela Free-Bear's a wealthy knight or a collector may find an exotic weapon. Imeric Geordaine's clothes have the Tailors' Guild label of approval. Narusya sells fine potions. The Imperial Cult offers services in the Grand Chapel of Talos. Out in the plaza you have your common travelling merchants and fishmongers.

services (common)
Near the main gates are the Moth and Tiger Inn and the Mother Alessia eatery. The Craftsmen Street is cluttered with folk of all kinds of trades. There are the general merchants like the Fetcher's Pawn and Emercius' Quality Wares. Yessu Zeddasshpalit is an armorer and Eurilon forges weapons. The Perfect Quarrel is a marksman's choice. Wayrian Elorius sells magical items whereas Yuaile Phyroc is an enchanter. At Tail Tales they sell books. The Hostel of Stendarr's Mercy offers Imperial Cult services.

services (poor)
At the tail-end of the Craftsmen Street there are a few grocers and bakers where one can get a bite to eat. Kassad grows and sells herbs. Arnulf runs a cheap smithy. Gul-Ei runs a small pantry. If you are in dire need you can loan money from Otrebus Delagia. You can find a bed to sleep in the Salty Futtocks or the Empress Katariah. Cirtiel sells trinkets to gullible newcomers at the entrance to the Docks. Ships regularly take travellers to Andothren, Almas Thirr, Ildrim and Ebonheart-on-Vvardenfell.
Last edited by Rats on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

little advice
Watch where you walk in the slums. You never know what you might step in. (rich + com)

Greetings (poor)

If you want cheap thrills, you're in the right part of town.
That's a spiffy outfit, %PCRace. Slumming it? (Richly dressed)
Maybe you should try slumming it somewhere else. (Richly dressed, low disp)

Greetings (rich)

Hail, citizen! Welcome to the crown jewel of Morrowind.
You're an inspiration to us all. Maybe you should wear clothes to match? (Poorly dressed)
I'm sorry, but I don't have any money to give you. (Poorly dressed, low-to-mid disp)
Look at those rags! Did you just escape from a plantation? (Poorly dressed, low disp)[/b]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Greet contributions, Rats. Those topics are really nice.

Your entries are also well-written, Tondollari, though the little advice one is a tad nondescript. Also, because Old Ebonheart is supposed to be at the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24304]height[/url] of its prosperity at the time our mod is set, I don't think we should draw undue attention to one part of town being poorer than the other. At the very least, we shouldn't constantly remind the player about it in dialogue. They should be able to tell a poorer neighborhood from a richer one through visual hints without being told explicitly.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Specific place (rich)

There are many sights to see and places to visit in the western part of town. Around the plaza and its fountain are buildings of note such as the provincial headquarters of the Fighters Guild, the Archaeological Society museum, the East Empire Company hall, and of course the Grand Chapel of Talos. Across the bridge is the Castle, the very see of Imperial power in Morrowind. Should you walk the streets down to the eastern part of town, there are the Craftsmen and the Poor District and finally the Docks.

Specific place (common)

Old Ebonheart is a town divided. The rich merchants and nobles live around the plaza area to the west--that's where the Grand Chapel of Talos and the Fighters Guild are--whereas the lower classes live further in the east part of town known as the Poor District. The middle classes and craftsmen live in the middle. The Craftsmen Street is marked by the colorful flags above the alley. The Mages Guild hall is in the central town. The Barristers Guild can be found in the High Street leading to the plaza.

Specific place (poor)

If it's sightseeing you want the east side has little to offer. The Fighters Guild and the Grand Chapel of Talos are to the west where the more upstanding citizens live. The Mages Guild has its guildhall closer to the city gates. One might wonder where the Thieves Guild hideout is. Maybe it's somewhere in this side of town, who knows. The Docks might also interest you if you want to sail away.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Is "Poor District" just a working name? We should probably think of some better names for the quarters and streets.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Tyrion wrote:Is "Poor District" just a working name? We should probably think of some better names for the quarters and streets.
Sure. Shoot. :D
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Rats wrote:
Tyrion wrote:Is "Poor District" just a working name? We should probably think of some better names for the quarters and streets.
Sure. Shoot. :D
I've got a four hour class to teach currently but I will definitely brainstorm when I'm home.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Sorry, I just realized I may have come off a bit blunt and confrontational there, Tyrion. I meant to say that, yes, the High Street, plaza area, Craftsmen Street, the Poor District and whatnot are all up for discussion. They're primarily meant to appear in generic dialogue so I think they should be plain and "generic" so to speak. (I would not call the poor side of town the slums, though: that's a bit too much)
Last edited by Rats on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

If it's set in stone that the player will not be called an outlander in OE, how do we prevent "outlander" vocal files from playing? IIRC, even non-Dunmer races have these files.
Theminimanx
Lead Developer

Post by Theminimanx »

You could place a new piece of dialogue right above outlander dialogue in the list, which has the same conditions, but also requires you to be in OE. Though there might be a more elegant way of doing things.
The death of vanilla Morrowind will end this prophecy and unite all Morrowind fans again under one mod, one faith, one rule by our divine project. The puppet Morrowind overhaul mods will lay down their arms and bow to our will. Those who do not yield will be destroyed.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Old Ebonheart

Rich*

Old Ebonheart is a beacon of Cyrodillic civilization in the alien province of Morrowind. While the lands outside are riven with House warfare, ash storms and the machinations of strange gods, within these walls the cosmopolitan and enterprising spirit of Imperial culture thrives. Here the Imperial Cult reigns supreme and the Emperor’s law is the only law. Our city has prospered in this way for centuries, symbolizing progress in the land of the Dark Elves.

Common

Old Ebonheart’s great Castle and the city it overlooks are a hub for mercantile trade on the Inner Sea and a haven for Imperial citizens and settlers. Here tradesmen band together in local guildhalls and abolitionists speak openly in the streets, free from prosecution. Sure, we have our share of paupers and miscreants down by the docks, but altogether our city is safe and prosperous. Just compare that to the native Dunmer. Their bickering clans know nothing of peace.

Poor

Yes, this is Old Ebonheart. Grandest city east of the Valus Mountains, I’ll have you know. Its home to all sorts of noble folk, like the Lord General of the Imperial Legion and others up in the Castle and High Street. Lots of shopkeepers and tradesmen too. Then there’s poor folk like us, getting by on a quick Septim. We’re all still part of keeping the Empire bustling, though. Take the Guild of Ratcatchers, for example. Mostly native Dark Elves who’ve drifted into town. Somebody has to go beneath the streets to keep Morrowind’s greatest city free from vermin.

Scout

Perched majestically on an outcrop above the Inner Sea, the castle and city of Old Ebonheart overlooks holds a commanding position at the mouth of the Thirr River

*Just to give credit where credit is due, I adapted the rich entry from the first paragraph of gro-Dhal Old Ebonheart Concept.

Updated Dialogue*

Greetings (High Disposition)

Rich

Hail, citizen! Welcome to the crown jewel of Morrowind.

Good tidings, friend. How might I help a fellow citizen of the Empire?

Common

Welcome to Old Ebonheart, citizen -- a slice of Cyrodiil in these ash-stricken lands.

Speak freely, traveler. We’re all fellow citizens within these walls.

You’re in Old Ebonheart, the Inner Sea’s finest port. Need help finding your way around?

Poor

Come to see Old Ebonheart’s grittier side, have you?

If you want cheap thrills, you're in the right part of town.

Nice to see a new face around Old Ebonheart's Poor District.

Greetings (Lower Disposition)

Rich

Old Ebonheart welcomes even the Empire’s lowliest citizens. Now what did you want?

Heed the Emperor’s laws, citizen, and you’ll do fine here.

What backwards corner of the province did you trek here from?

Common

What brings you to Old Ebonheart?

There’s seldom much time to stop and chat here in the city, citizen. Make it quick.

Poor

Let me guess. Another immigrant from the Heartland, right?

You get lost on the way to High Street?

What’s brought you into the poor side of town?

* These should be filtered so that they show up roughly 50 percent of the time when speaking with an Old Ebonheart NPC. The rest of the time, vanilla greetings should appear to give variety.

Latest Rumor

Upstanding citizens should steer clear of Otrebus Delagia's house. No matter what the guards do, seedy people are always leeching in and out of there. You see, they’re a paranoid riffraff. They’ll lay low for a day or two before letting traffic around the house pick right up again.

Little Advice

Go see Yuaile if you want quality enchantments without having to deal with the Mages Guild. I don't dislike the guild itself, but the enchanter over there was over-heard talking about how Telvanni enchantment methods are superior to other kinds. Anyone with something good to say about those evil wizards must not be right in the head.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Four notes:
[...] abolitionists speak openly in the streets, free from prosecution.
Did you mean persecution? Though prosecution works as well.
[...] the castle and city of Old Ebonheart overlooks holds a commanding position at the mouth of the Thirr River
"the castle and city of Old Ebonheart hold a commanding position at the mouth of the Thirr River."

The phrasing still seems a little off...
No matter what the guards do, seedy people are always leeching in and out of there.
This is a rather odd use of the verb 'leeching', though I wouldn't call it an error as such, as it is evocative.

In the last entry, 'over-heard' should be written without the hyphen.
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

Re leeching: "leech" refers to the small blood-sucking parasite, "leach" refers to the act of diffusing, like water moving through soil.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

I've got a question Yeti. You changed this entry:

Go see Yuaile if you want quality enchantments without having to deal with the Mages Guild. I don't dislike the guild itself, but the enchanter over there was over-heard talking about how Telvanni methods of enchanting are superior to anyone else's and I don't think the guild should be associated with someone of such a mindset.

To say TELVANNI methods of enchanting; I originally had said Ashlander methods, and while I don't really mind if it's changed I am curious as to why Ashlander methods of enchanting would not fit in the context?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

At the time, it didn't make much sense to me for Old Ebonheart's citizens to care whether or not a local mage liked Ashlander enchantments. What reason would they have to hold that against him? In comparison, the Telvanni have a really bad reputation even among outlanders. They're also extremely skilled enchanters, so the reference fits better on both accounts. As far as I'm aware, Ashlanders aren't especially well known for their enchantments in Morrowind, so to me the original topic felt like it was making a weird association.

In hindsight, I'd prefer to tie the topic into the city's current events directly, rather than base it entirely on an off-the-cuff remark about not liking native enchantment techniques. Something like this would contribute more to characterizing the city, I feel:

Go see Yuaile if you want quality enchantments without having to deal with the Mages Guild. I don't dislike the guild itself, but after their safeguards failed to stop the Castle vault break-in, I’d sooner trust a Telvanni to enchant my belongings.
Ironed Maidens
Developer

Post by Ironed Maidens »

I can see your reasoning, but I also think that too many local responses will negate the effect of the outside world. As far as ashlanders go, I actually would think that they would be very good enchanters (seeing as how most of the artifacts you get from them through the MQ seem to be pretty high in practicality), but as a sort of form of extensional protest to anything not Imperial, that's why some citizens of OE would be worried about advocating 'shamanistic' or 'heathen-like' magics.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

In the case of Old Ebonheart, negating the effect of the outside world might be a good thing. Telvanni wizards would probably seem as distant and almost legendary to a typical denizen of Old Ebonheart as they would to someone in Cyrodiil, while Ashlanders probably might as well be fairies.