I got Esurio Viridius working

Place to discuss history, story, character development, questlines for factions and other specifics.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Glisp

I got Esurio Viridius working

Post by Glisp »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_s6PDj2zY
It actually wasn't as hard as I made it out to be. Funny little story about how I got him to stay stationary. First off, I want to thank Gnomey for suggesting this method, secondly I made some mistakes before finally getting it right.

So As we all know Esurio Viridius (aka venus plant) was a creature dropped in Antediluvian secrets. Gnomey suggested to try adding a burden spell to it and check it as a walking creature. I tried doing a burden ability. It ignored the ability.

I then set it to disease and it didn't move. Of course, you can't have a disease that does 6000 burden, that's just messed up. After that I tried encumbering it with a heavy ingredient. It ignored it and attempted to pursue me. Finally I saw the curse option and realized how stupid I was being. I was thinking "why did I not notice the curse option sooner?" anyway, setting the burden ability to a curse worked as you'll see in the video above.

As Seneca37 noted in IRC, that Root attack is pretty cool. (it attacks by shooting its roots out of the ground at you)
And for those of you asking why I bothered to try and save an old obsolete creature, I liked it and it seemed like it had potential.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to the TR team. If it's not then I understand. Just thought it would be a good creature for the Argon jungle (albeit with new textures as its current textures suck and come from another object.)
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Ah, excellent. At the very least this proves that stationary, aggressive creatures can be made to work. I personally don't have much against the plant outside of its texture; that goes for most of our fauna, really. There is a bit of clipping, though, and I am wondering whether it wouldn't look better a few sizes smaller...
Glisp

Post by Glisp »

Yeah, I noticed that. The collision could use some improvement. Perhaps also you're right about the scale.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Cool! Any chance of slowing down the idle animation?
Glisp

Post by Glisp »

Seneca's actually working on fixing it up. I'll ask him if he can do that.

I'll also get him to reply here directly or try to anyway.
he was also looking at the Swamp Spider earlier. (another creature that was dropped early on)

It has some problems of its own. (namely, the model is unstable and crashes Morrowind when the game loads it) Like Esurio Viridius it uses textures from other objects. There's some other problems with the Swamp spider as well, probably relating to fluidity of animations and stuff. I'll let Seneca explain though.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

rot wrote:Cool! Any chance of slowing down the idle animation?
I don't see why not. Just be aware, I am speaking as a pure novice when it comes to skeletons and animation. I can see in Nifskope where these things are and could extend times so that the creature slows down. But, I'll need some time to be sure I'm not f**ing something else up when I do that.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Glisp wrote:... he was also looking at the Swamp Spider earlier. (another creature that was dropped early on)
<snip>
The spider does have animation issues, in addition to texture issues. These will take some time to fix. Since it crashes the game, I'd suspect that there is a flaw in the general layout of the nif file. That will take some time to isolate and fix. I wont be able to work on these until OE Castle is done.
Glisp

Post by Glisp »

That's okay, take your time.

[img]http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc353/glitchhunter09/Esurio%20Viridius_zpsjmgwqlun.png[/img]

These are its actual stats in the original Telvannis release. (it was still set as a creature there) Just for those that are curious. In the mod in the video I copied those stats into a new ESP by hand. (as well as making the model link to it properly) I actually had to removie the _AA from the nif files because I was having a little issue where the CS was telling me it exceeded 32 characters (doesn't look like 32 characters to me. The CS is so weird...)