somewhat difficult quest idea

Place to discuss history, story, character development, questlines for factions and other specifics.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

st.Veloth, The Repenting

somewhat difficult quest idea

Post by st.Veloth, The Repenting »

ever since I've played morrowind, i've always wanted to join a silt strider caravan, and go across the wastes. an idea i have is simply put, to add the option to travel with silt strider caravans, and defend them from threats ranging from rabid netch, to full blown raids. this idea depends on the fact that a mod could be made to allow this. i know it's pretty crazy, but it's quite lore friendly, and it adds immersion to the game-play. along with this, whole new factions of trading companies could be created, such as hlaalu, dres, telvanni, and redoran caravans, along with minor trade routes. this was just some crazy idea i had last night while listening to dark side of the moon.

tell me what you think!
i could even make some concept art on the subject, if things ever get serious (i'm hipped)

almsivi bless!!!
almsivi bless, to create one must first destroy, the nature of all, is in equilibrium
- sotha sil
Theminimanx
Lead Developer

Post by Theminimanx »

Just to be clear, this would involve the silt striders actually moving? Because that has never worked. Ever.

...Although, it might be possible to make a one-off quest where a script 'transports' you to an ambush location. Hmmmm...
The death of vanilla Morrowind will end this prophecy and unite all Morrowind fans again under one mod, one faith, one rule by our divine project. The puppet Morrowind overhaul mods will lay down their arms and bow to our will. Those who do not yield will be destroyed.
st.Veloth, The Repenting

why hasn't moving siltstriders ever worked? i know there's a mod for transportation like that...
almsivi bless, to create one must first destroy, the nature of all, is in equilibrium
- sotha sil
Saltrice

Post by Saltrice »

Perhaps this would be the mod you are describing. http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42267/? Same fellow also did that scenic gondolier travelling mod, which is quite nice, though it becomes a bit boring quickly. I'm sure developers would consider adding something similar to Tamriel Rebuilt if someone managed to produce a better and more relevant implementation of this idea, and offered it to be used freely.

When I had more free time, I used to do little house manor and shack village mods for personal use, and always added at least one pack guar somewhere. They always reminded me of that early beta morrowind picture of a guy travelling in ash storm with a guar. Unfortunately accompanying quests and sort are generally really annoying, because members of your own little party tend to get stuck everywhere, get lost and then there are cliff racers.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I think it could work especially if they follow a predefined path. Maybe they travel into another themed zone and stop at a watering hole to camp for a couple nights this would create an opportunity for bandit attack while the player rests. Maybe player could influence the course of rtravel fter this event. With a couple silt striders and several pack guar and a couple pedestrians this would be an interesting quest.

Here's an idea.

Caravan sets out one town to another. Caravan guide decides to take a shortcut. While everything goes well beside commonplace hostile until they they stop at an unfamiliar water hole. During the night they are attacked. Player saves caravan.

If the guide survives the others or caravan owner/leader opt to oust the guide in favor of you making the decisions. If leader dies and guide survives he will tell player he is unfamiliar with the area, lost and frightened. If both are dead you fail (no reward).

At this point player gets opportunity to decide between two predetermined paths one will result in a second ambush during the remainder of the trip, the other will not. Both paths will eventually lead to same destination.
Player given coin for each surviving strider and guar.

Once this quest is scripted I'm guessing more variations could be fairly easily implemented. Some could be one short stretch, others could be several nights long with several possible routes and minor encounters. I can also imagine some really interesting possibilities for Morrowind based trading companies if it was lore friendly. I would prefer to see faction and guild quests completed sooner though I'd be pleased to see progress on any new quests at this point. A minimum of 6 quests per year would be a decent baseline. One each month and I'd prob still be doing interiors.
my opinion.
st.Veloth, The Repenting

just having caravans in general add an authenticity to the game, i think it's worth it. also, for this to work, more desert landscape should be implemented
- sotha sil
Dragon32

Post by Dragon32 »

Have you seen [url=http://home.earthlink.net/~cyran0/TravelingMerchants.htm]Travelling Merchants[/url] by GhanBuriGhan and Cyrano?

Just as a headsup on the complexities of this idea, from the Travelling Merchants readme:
The Ald-Rhun - Maar Gan merchant (Hamoubil) script does not contain commented code as the others do, since the script exceeded the limit of the allowed length for scripts (!).