[!] Where to Start & Current Progress Summary [Dev Showcase]

Threads related to the general organization of the project.

Moderator: Lead Developers

10Kaziem
Lead Developer

[!] Where to Start & Current Progress Summary [Dev Showcase]

Post by 10Kaziem »

This thread is for developing a potential sticky thread.

Problem: "I'm a new user. What do you need me to help with?"
As a new user, it's hard to figure out what's going on in the project, and where your skills are needed. (This is also a problem for anyone returning after a hiatus.)

Proposed solution: Make a sticky thread that is a brief overview of each region, which lists what part of each region is being worked on. Each region will have a link to the location (thread/forum) that active development is occurring in. This sticky would only need to be updated once a stage of a region is completed, which is at most once every few months.

This sticky would be one of the first things a new user should see, and tells them what jobs are available to do and what work needs to be done.

The next post has the current work-in-progress content of what the sticky post would look like. Any and all feedback is welcome to help improve this potential sticky thread.
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

Title: Where to Start & Current Progress Summary

I’m a new user at Tamriel Rebuilt. Where should I start? What do you need me to do?

Welcome, new user! This is the place to be if you want to know where to pitch in or want to know how things are doing. Tamriel Rebuilt is in need of help in all sorts of things. Check out the “How to Contribute to Tamriel Rebuiltâ€Â￾ thread if you see something below that you like.

TR is being developed on a region-by-region basis. Each region is developed according to our plans, which are themselves in development at the moment.

The Master Plan
The Master Plan is our big document where we plan Morrowind-wide ideas like the history, geography. There are also supporting documents that include things like main quests and factions, click here. This is still in development. Like planning or Elder Scrolls lore? Come help!

Help needed: planning for the main themes of morrowind, the main factions, and regions.

Check the master planning and conceptualization forums.

The Regions of Tamriel Rebuilt

Released Regions
Released regions have already been completed and are available in TR_Mainland. There is no active work happening on these regions. In the future, we may update these. Discussion is still active on what we might do, eventually. If you’d like to discuss that, head over to the master planning forum. Click the spoiler to see the individual regions.

[spoiler]
Telvannis
Telvannis is the north-eastern section of mainland morrowind, and is ruled by House Telvanni. The landscape varies from mountains to shore to grazelands and rocky areas.

Helnim Fields
Helnim Fields is in the north-eastern section of mainland morrowind and contains the city of Helnim and its surrounding grazelands type area. Ruled by Telvanni.

Sacred Lands
Includes the city of necrom. Ruled by Tribunal.

Mephalain Mountains
Is mountainous. Indoril.

Inlet bog
Is boggy here. Indoril.

[/spoiler]

Preview regions
Preview regions are available in TR_Preview. have been released for public use, but are still heavily under development. Their exteriors are complete or in progress. Most of these regions need Construction Set and quest/dialogue help.

[spoiler]
Askadeh Coast
Help needed:?
Link: ?

Armun ashlands

Roth Roryn

Velothi Mountains

Grey meadows

Cormaris

Uld vraech

[/spoiler]

Pre-Alpha Regions
Pre-Alpha regions are included in TR_Preview but are barely started at all. These regions mainly need help in planning and concepting, and model/texture development.

[spoiler]

Deshaan Plains
The Deshaan plains are an arid, salty region of southern Morrowind owned by the Dres. The landscape is harsh, but surprisingly fertile.
Help needed: concept art and planning both for the Dres as a House and the appearance of the region
Link:

Shipal-Shin
Shipal-shin is characterised by deep canyons and red soil. Owned by house Hlaalu.
Help needed: not actively being developed, but if you like, planning and concepting.
Link:

Argon Jungle
The Argon Jungle is the border with Black Marsh and is rather swampy. Owned by house Dres.
Help needed: not actively being developed, but if you like, planning and concepting.
Link:

Oreleth

[/spoiler]
Last edited by 10Kaziem on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I took the liberty of altering the thread title to what I think should be the standard for WIP sticky threads: stickied as these need to maintain visibility until they are finished so that they can be finished and moved to the right location quickly, (only lead devs can sticky threads, so non-leads don't need to worry about this step), tech tag, [!] at the start to indicate this is supposed to be a sticky, intended destination (I assumed in this case the Developer Showcase forums, though this sticky should probably also be a global announcement for additional visibility) in square brackets at the end.

As for the content, it's hard to answer at the moment while we're still in the process of [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24996]discussing Swiftoak's TR Pipeline proposal[/url], but I wouldn't really say it's true that we're developing by region. If anything, we're developing by section, (Andothren-Thirr and Indoril-Thirr together make up the majority -- though not all -- of the Thirr River Valley region, for instance), but even that we seem to be moving away from with a few exceptions.
The 'new' approach (not really new, at least in concept) is to basically plan everything together and then implement it -- the latter indeed likely being done systematically more-or-less by region. But with an exception or two.
Discussion is ongoing, it will just be rather difficult to finish this sticky for the time being. (Though naturally it's still good to make a start now).

What does seem to be clear at the moment (though not set in stone): we will be working on the Master Plan, and we will continue to work on the Indoril-Thirr and Old Ebonheart sections.