[WIP] Master Plan

Brainstorming, discussing, and drafting of the Master Plan happens here.

Moderator: Lead Developers

klep
Lead Developer

[WIP] Master Plan

Post by klep »

The [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24291]old TR Master Plan Foundation[/url] is outdated and does not comply with our current organizational structure. It had been intended as a blueprint (hence foundation) to the actual Master Plan we were supposed to then go on to create, but instead we more-or-less treated it as the Master Plan itself and left it as-is. Now that we've finally come around to actually working on the Master Plan, it seems a good idea to make a new thread.
Writing such an essential document for a project the size of TR isn't easy, nor should it be a private behind-the-scenes matter. Therefore is decided to have a Work In Progress file of the document visible here at all times for anyone to read and provide feedback on its content.

LINK TO THE WIP DOCUMENT
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

Jumping in here to say that much of the original document could be copied and pasted into the new master plan. Then, any remaining topics which need touching up could be made by scratch.

I'm glad we're updating the master plan. We definitely need a better system right now.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

While I agree that much of the old plan is very solid, and can probably be carried over without too many changes, I don't think we should copy over its text by default. I think we should weigh the ideas of the original plan with any new ideas, and only include them as we agree on them. I'm concerned that over-reliance on the old plan, which had never been properly discussed to my knowledge, might undesirably direct the flow of discussion and limit our creativity and vision. As far as I know, the foundation document was just a rough starting proposal by Sload; I'd no more advise we adopt Swiftoak's concept map and say 'we can adjust it from there', even though I think a lot of the ideas in the map are good and I would be in favour of adopting many of them.
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

Locking this topic as we're going to continue it on the new forums. New thread can be found here