Considering a Questing Showcase

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Stratus

Considering a Questing Showcase

Post by Stratus »

Hello. I have been lurking around on these forums for a while now.

I have decided that I might be willing to create a questing showcase.

I just have a few questions... Well, maybe more than a few.

1. Do you even need quest developers?

2. The Quest claim section looks dead to me, I only see two available quests that are available to claim (both of which are nearly a month old). Is this just because there are no Quest editors claiming quests? or are you more focused on another element like interiors.

3. There are no posts in the dialogue planning area. Is this just because those posts are only visible to developers? Or do you not plan quests.

4. I have done quite a bit of modding. My main focus was always questing though. I never really created interiors except to add a few things into them. Most of my time was spent expanding certain faction questlines. Would this hinder my ability to contribute? Should I try to get more experience in other areas?
_______________________________________________________________-

I have learned many things about creating dialogue through trial and error. I can safely claim that I know how to make a "clean" questing mod.

My only area of confusion would be when it comes to scripting. I have actually only recently dived into that area. Most of my previous quests involved things like... blackmail, interrogation, murder, stealing, and my favorite, betrayal. When I create quests, There has to be more than one possible ending, I need to have freewill. If I see a quest that involves only one possible ending I won't be taking it. Failure should be possible, and it should be just as easy to finish the quest as it would be to fail it.

I read your Skype conversations and realized that my favorite type of quests might just be needed in an environment as intense as the one described. (This does not mean that I would be limiting myself to Agent or murder quests)

I just have a few problems,

As it stands, I am able to to create new scripts by taking examples from another script and changing little pieces of the script to match it to mine.

I do not know how to combine scripts yet... I assume that it is actually a rather simple process. I just need a good resource. I would definitely like to learn how to do it.

5. Should I make sure to have a complete understanding before I create the showcase? Or should I just go right ahead and do it to the best of my current ability.
Lurking
RyanS
Lead Developer

Re: Considering a Questing Showcase

Post by RyanS »

Welcome to TR, Stratus! I'll answer a few of your questions. I'm not a quester/scripter, however, so some of your topics will need to be addressed by other developers.
Stratus wrote:1. Do you even need quest developers?
Absolutely. We need all the help we can get, particularly when it comes to questing.
Stratus wrote:2. The Quest claim section looks dead to me, I only see two available quests that are available to claim (both of which are nearly a month old). Is this just because there are no Quest editors claiming quests? or are you more focused on another element like interiors.
This is just because of a lack of quest developers. If you pass the showcase, you'll be free to claim anything you see that interests you. :)
Stratus wrote:3. There are no posts in the dialogue planning area. Is this just because those posts are only visible to developers? Or do you not plan quests.
The quests and dialogue section is actually brand new, and was created after a brief forum restructure a few weeks ago. Any future quests or storylines will be fleshed out in that section. Luckily, the quests that are up for claiming now have already been planned out in different threads.
Stratus wrote:4. I have done quite a bit of modding. My main focus was always questing though. I never really created interiors except to add a few things into them. Most of my time was spent expanding certain faction questlines. Would this hinder my ability to contribute? Should I try to get more experience in other areas?
This shouldn't be a problem. Some people here at TR have little to no CS skills, and yet they have contributed great things for the project.
Stratus wrote:5. Should I make sure to have a complete understanding before I create the showcase? Or should I just go right ahead and do it to the best of my current ability.
The showcase thread is quite often used as a place for a person to improve his/her modding skills, so creating a showcase now is a fine idea.

Feel free to read up on [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25037]how to contribute[/url] if you haven't already. The thread links to lots of information about TR, and also offers extra advice about helping with the project. I'm excited to see what you're capable of! :D
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Yess, im very curious what youre gonna do Stratus ^^. Though im new to this forum I have noticed (or I think I have noticed) that there are not many people here who write quests. Sad :-(

Idea: Why not make something like a little questing contest without the need to develop every single line, for members and developers who dont make quests primaryly such as interior or exterior developers, just to gather some good Ideas. So I mean everyone who contributes sth only makes a raw design.
Why cant I simply use an Elder scroll to make my Clocks go slower?