UESP Page Maintenance

Threads related to the general organization of the project.

Moderator: Lead Developers

RyanS
Lead Developer

UESP Page Maintenance

Post by RyanS »

ATTENTION ALL DEVELOPERS!!!

Lately our [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt]uesp page[/url] has fallen into a bit of disrepair. Only one or two people have been contributing for the last year or so. Many pages are now obsolete and need some work, so we will need as much help and support as possible to fix things up, both for better publicity and further outside support.

A few topics, chiefly the ones below, need large amounts of maintenance:
-[url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt/Starting_Out]Starting Out[/url] -- Mostly up-to-date, but it needs more info/advice.
-[url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt/Services]Services[/url] -- Currently lacks M3 services.
-[url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt/Quests]Quests[/url] -- A large percentage of M3 quest pages still have yet to be made. Also M2 fighter's guild quests are still untouched.
-[url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt/Items]Items[/url] -- Some items need to be added to the lists, while others need to be removed. Also, the item locations are very out of date.
-[url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt/Artifacts]Artifacts[/url] -- A few artifacts, (Mosslog comes to mind) have not yet been added. The existing descriptions could also be spruced up.

Other Maintenance:
-We need to figure out how to deal with the release map bar on our main page. We could probably delete all unreleased maps and eventually replace them with future major updates.
-An upcoming content page would be a good addition. It would display all future and unfinished work from our project. I have already started putting together an [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/User:RyanS/Sandbox]Old Ebonheart[/url] page.
-Removal of now unused creatures from our main creature pages would be great. Eventually adding them to a Deprecated Creatures page might be a possibility.

To those who have never edited uesp but are interested in helping out with the TR section, please read up on [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/UESPWiki:Getting_Started]getting started.[/url]
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Glisp

Post by Glisp »

I help whenever I can. Be it contributing images or helping with quest pages. We definitely need more help with contributions though. There's a lot of Sacred East content that still needs to be added.

Also for images, if you're contributing them, don't use Gamma correction. It tends to distort colors, especially in dark places like tombs or caves. Use a light spell instead if you need more lighting.(preferably a strong one with lots of range) We want the coloring of Screenshots to look as good as possible here. Remember, we're not only helping players play the mod but we're making it look presentable to them.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Post by Anonytroll »

What I've been wanting to do for the last week but was unpable to do was update the [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt/Trainers]Trainers[/url] page.

The Gorne and Bosmora pages are essentially blanks at this minute. Every little bit of writing would help there.

Moving the deprecated creatures to another page would be really helpful, agreed. It's often the first thing that is laughed about when TR's UESP page is brought up.
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

We have more editors than I thought! :D

I was able to create the [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt/Removed_Creatures]removed creatures page[/url], as well as assemble a major update on the [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt]main page[/url]. From this point on, it would be awesome if people could post here if they make any major edits on uesp so that we can keep track of what's going on.

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

Ive been doing quite some updating on uesp, but it has been a long while. I updated Indoril and some other houses quite a bit. We still need to give it a total revamp though as we no longer work with separate factions for mainland and Vvardenfell. I also did a TR books listing, adding all the current TR books and deleting unused/outdated ones. I also added some maps, which are slightly outdated by now.

One of the things on my to do list was to check which TR books are spellbooks and at which Int level, which I want to add to UESP, which requires a slight edit to the books template. (which reminds me that some books (only the ones with TR_BoTs script attached) have a minimal Int level which means that the player Int is too low they don't get to see that a book contains a spell, which I personally don't like, but this should be discussed elsewhere.)

There was more, but it seems I forgot to write it all down. That being said, I don't have time for TR atm, but I hope to be doing TR and UESP work in the future.
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

klep wrote:We still need to give it a total revamp though as we no longer work with separate factions for mainland and Vvardenfell.
Yes, this will eventually be a priority for the faction pages. For now however, we should leave the topic as it is. We should only remove the 'mainland' part of the faction names on uesp when they are removed in a public release, so as not to confuse players.
klep wrote:One of the things on my to do list was to check which TR books are spellbooks and at which Int level, which I want to add to UESP, which requires a slight edit to the books template. (which reminds me that some books (only the ones with TR_BoTs script attached) have a minimal Int level which means that the player Int is too low they don't get to see that a book contains a spell, which I personally don't like, but this should be discussed elsewhere.)
Yeah, I also found the spell book leveling system a bit wacky and out of place. Perhaps the minimal intelligence levels should be removed in a future data update.
klep wrote:There was more, but it seems I forgot to write it all down. That being said, I don't have time for TR atm, but I hope to be doing TR and UESP work in the future.
I'm glad you're still committed to contributing in the future. It'll be good to have you around and active again, whenever that may be. :D

klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

RyanS wrote:We should only remove the 'mainland' part of the faction names on uesp when they are removed in a public release, so as not to confuse players.
I know that over at UESP they're not fond of pages that can confuse players in thinking that they're reading an original MW page. We should probably have a way (eg TR-prefix) to distinguish TR (faction) pages, and stay consistent with it.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Yeah, I'd use a TR prefix, personally.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Anonytroll asked me to look at the [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Tamriel_Rebuilt#Organization_Process]main Tamriel Rebuilt page[/url] on UESP and bring it up to date. I took a look and saw that the Organization Process section in particular is indeed very outdated, so I rewrote it. Here are my proposed changes:

History
This bit looks good to me, the last bit just needs to be updated to the latest release.

Organization Process
The basic approach of Tamriel Rebuilt is to work in stages: first, we plan things out from broad overarching concepts down to specifics; from the landmass and factions down to regions, settlements and dungeon distribution, important NPCs, and quests (though planning for our larger storylines starts early on). We do not try to plan out every detail, which would be very time-consuming and would also restrict potential creativity in later stages, but try to establish a clear blueprint for later developers to work with and expand on.
Once we have done enough planning, we move on to preparation. We think of what we need to implement our plans in-game. Most assets are completed at this stage, and we also aim to have as complete a collection of new books at this stage as possible, to avoid having to add assets and books into areas that have already been created. Then comes production, and again we start broadly, creating heightmaps, exteriors, interiors, NPCs, and then implementing dialogue and quests in the CS. Finally, we test our content extensively in-game and in the CS.
In practice, our approach is a bit more complex. We do not have to plan out a region in northeasternmost Morrowind before we start working on central Morrowind, for instance, and either way most developers are not geared towards focusing on a single particular aspect of the project for months on end, preferring a bit of variety.

Pre-production work is completely open, in that anyone can contribute to it without having to complete a showcase. Naturally we expect content that will be used in-game like models to meet a certain standard before we include it, though.
Production work is mostly handled through claims, which are portions of work -- such as a quest or the interior of a house -- which can be created independently to be merged into our main file when they're ready. There are three types of claims: exterior claims, interior claims and quest claims. We expect people to complete a showcase for a claim type before we grant them claims of that type. The showcase would simply involve creating a small exterior, interior or quest in the CS which we would then review. Showcases are not expected to pass review on the first try. It generally takes a few tries for members to familiarize themselves with what we expect from a claim and what sort of things to look out for. As soon as the showcase meets our standards, the member is promoted to developer and can start claiming claims of the corresponding type.
Claims are reviewed by reviewers, who also go through something like a showcase process. General testing, however, can be done by anyone; the TR_Preview file we release every three months contains all of the areas in production, with the exception of some interiors and quests, and as much as we wish it weren't the case bugs also make it into the TR_Mainland file into which content is merged when it is finished. Bug reports for either, as well as for the TR_Data file which contains all of the general data used both in claims and our main files, are very much welcome.

Releases
I suggest some changes to the first paragraph and that we add a bit at the end:

[...] After further re-organization in 2014, the TR team has again changed the project's release structure, focusing on merging playable areas into a single TR_Mainland masterfile as they're finished rather than the eight major planned "releases". The project's vision has also undergone a change, and TR now plans to not only integrate itself with vanilla content but also to circumvent the Tribunal expansion by creating its own version of Mournhold in the main gameworld.
[...]
We have also started regularly releasing a merge of our in-production areas (TR_Preview) every 90 days. The last release, 15.10, was released on October 08. That means you can expect the next release in December of this year.