Question about questing

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Steelgonads

Question about questing

Post by Steelgonads »

Hello there.

First of all let me congratulate you guys on this wonderful mod of yours. It's amazing what you guys have done until now.

After reading quite a bit about the project I am under the impression you are having trouble finding people to make quests, so I thought I'd might give it a try and come up with a few misc quests. Before i do though, I had several questions:

- Do you intend on keeping quests in the mainland only, or is it allowed to have quests that require actions both on the mainland and Vvardenfell?

- Is there a specific region in the mainland where you'd feel that creating quests is a priority. I realize that NE Morrowind is more fleshed out than the rest, but I'm not sure if you want to add content to that NE corner or start doing it for other regions.

- Preferred lore theme? I've read several quests here in the forum, but it's hard to have an idea about what has been more often touched upon. I was wondering if there's any theme that is kind of well represented already and I should avoid.

- Are simple quests desirable? I know "Go there and kill X" is very simple, but the quests I've been reading have quite complex implementations.

Well, that's all my questions for now. Thanks for reading.

PS: Not sure if this was the right forum section. If not, apologies and please move this thread to the appropriate place.
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

Hello Steelgonads and welcome to TR!

Thank you for your kind words and great that you feel like contributing to the mod.

First let me give you the disclaimer that I am not a quest maker myself and won't be able to give you any technical details on the subject.

As for your first question, which is an interesting one, I feel safe to say that for the time being we do intend on keeping quests on the mainland only. This certainly is the case for misc quests. Larger questlines for major factions might get to see Vvardenfell, but this is a discussion of it's own which will be held in its own time. So, like I said, for the time being questing is for the mainland only.

Old Ebonheart (except the castle) has been completed and NPC'd, but not yet filled with quests, so that might be a place to start. However, if your interest lie elewhere, any quest idea is welcome and may be used in completed or yet to created parts of Morrowind.

I personally don't have a preference of lore theme. Maybe someone else may be able to help you out regarding this.

IMHO both simple quests and more complex quest-lines are welcome and will be greatly appreciated.

As I am not sure if you are offering to come up with quest ideas or eventually want to make quests in the Construction Set, for which a showcase is required, I'll just leave your post in this section in case you want to make a showcase in the future, which you can then do in this thread.

If you do wish to make a showcase for questing (or anything else for that matter) check out [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25037]How to contribute to TR[/url].

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions or if I didn't answer yours sufficiently.
Steelgonads

Post by Steelgonads »

Thanks for the swift answer.

I have more questions! :)

I have a concept for a quest. I've even scouted the places and NPCs that I would be using for it, but unfortunately I'm a complete noob at Morrowind modding. For example, I have no idea if I can make a esp/esm file that changes stuff in Old Ebonheart and Necrom ( i guess they are in different TR sections? TR_mainland and TR_preview?) It's very overwhelming.

My quest would be started in old Ebonheart, but lead the PC to Necrom. Is this feasible right now?
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

Getting too technical for me already. I hope someone else will give you more insight into this.

I can, however, advise you to post your concept in the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewforum.php?f=114]Quests & Dialogue[/url] section. Have a look at some other quests there to see how they are written up. Some use a very clear layout, which is useful. There your quest idea can be discussed and if it will be implemented you can move on from there, with the aid of more experienced developers on that subject.
Steelgonads

Post by Steelgonads »

I joined the IRC chat the other night and got a lot of questions answered. I think I am comfortable with the basics already, so I'll just start making the quest and hopefully have something to showcase later on.
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

Great, looking forward to seeing your work :)