Misc quest: A drunk terrorizing neighborhood

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Artemus Canehar

Misc quest: A drunk terrorizing neighborhood

Post by Artemus Canehar »

This is one of the first posts I've wrote :roll:

Last few weeks I've concentrated on making quests. So far, I've read scripting for dummies, learning the basics, done a couple test quests with my CS (working fine :D ) and come up with some ideas. This is one of them and might be hard to create.

The idea:
There is this poor, jealous and often-drinking-too-much fellow who is terrorizing a person (or more..?). This poor guy likes to destroy the property of the happily-living target and causing other troubles. When PC meets this target of vandalism, the person will ask the PC to solve the problem, offering 50 drakes for trouble, suggesting the PC to ask around of the vandal. As soon as the PC talks to other people in town (happens inside a town btw) they will tell that this vandal likes to spend hard-earned money for drinks in a local tavern/inn. The vandal is there atm and when PC talks with him about some kind of topic, he will say that he is the vandal (too many drinks?). If PC asks him to stop the vandalism, he will lose his temper and assign an assasin to kill the target of vandalism. If PC asks to stop the vandalism and threat to kill the vandal, he will charge and his drinkingmates will too. And the assasin (his friend) will kill the target of vandalism thinking that they sent you to kill his vandal-friend. The third option could be something like PC admiring the vandal and quickly saying goodbye to get more information from the target of vandalism. The target will ask you to do something. Like persuading the vandal to stop or kill him (we already know what is the result of that action :roll: ) and so on. The PC must go and talk with the vandal and persuade him. There could be many different ways to persuade but not with Dialogue Persuasion. Like giving him money, buying a drink and so on. After succesful persuasion, the PC can fetch the reward from the target of vandalism.

What do you think? I was told to make simple quests butI don't like making simple quests. I've done a few with my CS but they seem like waste of time to me. And one thing... Shoot me if this is stupid.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

He seems more of the drunk bully, doesn't really seem like the assassin hiring type, and I don't see what the assassin has to do with anything, he is never mentioned again.

Why can't the PC talk him down the first time, he does not seem to get new information upon talking to the victim a second time?

I really like that the guys bar mates join in the fight. I think the player should be admonished of punished if they kill everyone in the bar. Perhaps script a crime level increase (by default since they attack the player he could kill them all with no cconsequences). The player may also be able to use hand to hand to subdue the man, but then it may play a bit like a certain bar quest from Tribunal.

-Starcrunch
Artemus Canehar

Post by Artemus Canehar »

Well, my idea was that this bully is so drunk(atm has drinked too much), so jealous and so full of hate, thinks that the target sent the PC to kill him or something like that and the bully is afraid that someone might tell the guards and so on. He has an assasin friend who would deal with the problem. As being intoxicated, he might do extreme things that he wouldn't do when clearminded.

It's just an idea to be improved. Thank you for you quick reply starcrunch!
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Well, the assassin thing seems a bit too high-handed for me. What you could do is turn it into something along the lines of him blabbing about how he and his friends will pay the vandal target a visit and rough him up. Make it seem common and tangible, just a bunch of street thugs getting into trouble.
A good location would be in Ranyon-Ruhn, or Tel Ouada. These locations are pretty low on quests at the moment, while Firewatch seems to be getting all the love.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Thirsk

Post by Thirsk »

i think that if player ask the drunken guy to stop, he does not kill the victim, but just do even more vandalism,he yells this to the player (drunken idiot) so he can warn the victim (reward) or do not (no reward), or if you treadning and killing him and all of his mates, the vandalism does stop (reward) if you miss him or some of his mates, they do more vandalism(no reward).
Now, everyone must submit to the Kingdom of the Goblins. Do it now, or we will take your skin and cook it in a fungus stew. Any attempts to resist will be in vain, so don't even try. Silly human.