Scott's Concept Music stuff with previous art

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Scott MacDonald

Scott's Concept Music stuff with previous art

Post by Scott MacDonald »

Hey well I was playing some Morrowind a few days ago and I was talking to my friend, I was talking about how I instaled some sweet mods and how you can get them on the PC version. Then he told me about TR and I was amiazed about what he told me. So here I am to check it out and to think I can actualy maby help with it, so yah here I am and I have a some what strong drawing skill so I think that I could help do concepts of monsters maby or maby towns. I currently only have done monsters and I gusse I will just post them here, although none of my drawings have a strong relation with Morrowind or the Elder Scrolls set. I have a machine like monster that I took the idea of Dwemer architectures and made a Gundam like machine.

Just incase the Zip doesnt work here are the images.
[url]http://photobucket.com/albums/c267/DearkaElsman/Monsters/[/url]
Attachments
TR.zip
Concepts of monsters and people.
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
Last edited by Scott MacDonald on Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus
Location: That big place next to the smaller place with the tree.

Post by Morgoth »

Welcome to TR! :) Glad to see some new artists coming in. Not bad stuff, very detailed. Your proportion is off somewhat, but overall that's some nice artwork. Maybe you could try something for one of our Weekly Sketch Group topics? They're in the concept art forum. I hope to see some more art from you, at any rate. Keep it coming!
Founder of the Realms of Renth. Please give us a visit!

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4640/sigbannerap7.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
mariedanj
Developer

Post by mariedanj »

Oooo Love your Death Scythe. It's spooky and dark!
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

the wolf looks kind of funny... As though it was a donkey instead
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Silverwood
Developer

Post by Silverwood »

They lack detail, but the poses and idea seems fine. Keep practicing those poses, that's one thing many artists lack
Dessert Graveyard
Scott MacDonald

So what are you looking for? Like monsters or landscaping or like a certain type of monster or weapons. I find it easyer if I know what is needed or wanted. I just need to know the basic want. Like eg. Aquatic Plated Snake, Mountain side town, Magical looking blade with a "M" Shaped hitlt. so yah like that, once I get that info down my mind will make a concept in my head and in a couple of minuets, hours, days, weeks or maby even months it will be done.
From what I hear, there is a lack of detail with some and lots in others, some are out of preportion, the dark shading is somewhat cool, some of the creatures look like a donkey, and the poses are cool and lots of people lack poses. So thats what I can derive from this.

So yah, just say the details or email them to me, and I will start as soon as I get the message. I like it when I dont need to do the basic Idea because I will take like 5 days to decide if I will draw a monster, town or item. Then another year to break it down all the way to the cell details, so yah its much faster if you call the shots, but I can use my infinet imagination if nescicary, but that will take a while.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

well, you could try drawing some of the WSG... you could also check out some of the other concept art topics for insperation (we do that alot around here. some one draws one pic, and everyone else adds their flare to it). we need essential things --architecture mostly-- most of all right now. but you cna draw jsut about anything we would need for HF. if your realy runing low on insparation, draw something from a previous game clearly defined lore.

well, imagination is not infinate in this case. were using mostly african and islamic influences for HF, with trases asian and indian (or anything else you can work in while making it look proper :P)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

I liked the Archbound concept I would love to fight that thing in-game!
"quiet Professionals"= "walk softly but carries a big stick"
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/
suk it up you be ight!!
Scott MacDonald

Yah The Archbound is cool but the Body to Legs is out of preportion. But yes It would probably get a new name because Archbound was a creature from MTG and yah Archbound doesnt realy sound mythicle. Maby it would be a new Dwemer machine or something.

Yah I was looking throught The monster list and I saw, Gremlin, Mimic and Goblin and maby a couple others that I have completed. So I think this may be easyer than I thought.
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

Lovely work you have here, Scott :)
You've got designs developing here, I'd love to see what else you've got in that head
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
Scott MacDonald

Ohh the stuff I keep in my desk and stick back in my head if I get board. Yah well Thanks, I originaly started to draw these for a online game but unfortunatly It closed so I have a few to show off. I am going to scan a couple more I designed like my 2 tailed cliff racer like monster that has some proportional issues, an aquatic snake like monster where I got the original idea from Phantasy Star Online epp. 1+2 , a Cyclopes like monster has horrable pose, an assassin (small small head) and half of a crazy hover looking death monster. so I will finish and fix up some of the pictures and get them on here. I will try some architecture stuff too.

But yah some monster Idea's would help, But yah if you couldnt tell, Im not good with 4 leged creatures, so that is a weak point. But yah I want to get what is important worked on not something I think up in my spare time.
Scott MacDonald

Here is my 4 other concepts, they all need a bit of work but they are good for now. I updated my Photobucket so you can see there too.
Attachments
4 new.zip
(496.38 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

I love the armoured serpent, Maybe that could be some sort of underwater creature, or maybe one from Skyrim? You should remember lore when you concept something, but creatures out of the blue are always fun to throw around.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Scott MacDonald

Yah I know about that lore stuff but I kinda sketched all of these before I came here because I was board and I wanted to try to draw a cool snake like creature. I would love to see it in 3D, I liked the idea but I didnt know that I would be doing this when I sketched this so gusse I will need lots of research. Or I could gusse... or not, well I think that I will do some good concepts when I know what I am doing.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Cool stuff, Scott :-)

Earlier on you asked what you should draw. There's not really any limit to what you can draw here; the only request is that it be somewhat Hammerfell related (ie pirates, cool stuff, architecture, etc.)

My suggestion is find a type of drawing you enjoy very much, (for example: architecture, or creatures/monsters, or equipment, or landscapes, or people) and then focus on that type of thing. Don't stop working on any other stuff, just work more on that type you've zoned in on. You'll be glad.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Scott MacDonald

I personaly like the architecture. but drawing creatures are very interesting, and drawing equiptment is quick and simple. People are just hard to draw, but anyways thanks for your thoughts I will try it out.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Although anything can be drawn; Architexture is the most helpful at the moment. When the game comes out, we will be working with architexure and terain only for a long time before we start adding equipment or creatures.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Scott MacDonald

I think that this will be easyer than I thought. So arctitecture is needed, It is fun for me to do because I just consider what happens were it is located and I get to design it for the area and reogin and have played many different games I have a strong Idea for the design of buildings and stuff for its location. well that and I just like drawing non moving things.
Scott MacDonald

I just decided to do some concept of some desert ruins.
Comments welcome.
Also For my design concepts: [url]http://photobucket.com/albums/c267/DearkaElsman/Tamriel/[/url]
Attachments
Desert Ruins.jpg
(371.27 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Scott MacDonald

Ok guys Im going to Japan in like 7 days and no one has even touched my picture. is it worth even trying to draw for the coolest Elderscroll's team knowen by me? Well if no one decides to even look at this by the time I return I will find very little reason to even try. I some what feel like I have been scammed because all my art lacks something and people say, "sure sure you people will give you lots of constructive whatchyamacalls em's." This is my final attempt to fit in, if I cant... Sianora.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Its not bad. Somewhere I would like to explore.

You dont need our blessing to draw. Scribble away and then throw it to us wolves for nitpicking when you get back :P
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Indeed. Sorry I missed this, Scott. This forum has been notorious for losing showcase threads down in the pages. Which is why I think bumping in this forum is a good thing. If you think you've been forgotten, that is...

Anyways, yes, indeed. Keep drawing. You've got some nice ideas and nice designs. Also, once you get back, don't forget to participate in the WSG's.

As for your desert ruins: I'm not sure who to attribute them too... (Redguard ancestors?) partially becaus of the design on the side of the door frame, that I just can't quite make out, which for some reason reminds me of Daedric... (this may also have to do with the tower in your photobucket, which also reminds me of Daedric ruins).

Otherwise, I think they're pretty good. Personally, I'd like to see another drawing, showing the broken towers in the background. :)
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

So, you want constructive criticism, eh? Alright, but remember, you asked for it.

Firstly, proportion. Several of your character art pieces have incorrect proportion. (I.e, the legs are too small, while the body is large, arms are too short, etc...) When drawing people or creatures, this is very important. If you arent sure about something, refer to an actual photograph or other concept art to make sure you're doing it correctly.

Secondly, perspective. This is even more important when doing a large scene or layout. Perspective is the angle at which you drawing takes form. For example, if you are looking directly at the corner of a building, you will be looking at a 45 or so degree angle, however, the building next to it may appear at a 70 degree angle and so on. Look at an actual cityscape or an airial photo of a town for reference to this.

Thirdly, lighting. Lighting is what brings life and realism to your art. You should choose an area in your piece where a light source is going to be set. Most light sources are invisible to the veiwer, and are only defined in the mind of the artist. A small x near the edge of the page is sufficient enough to mark your light source's location. On the side of your subject, opposite the light source, you should add shading, while on the side closest, you should add lighting. There is a gradient in between, which the artist must determine, depending on angle and oppacity. Again, examine actual photos to get a better feel for lighting.

So there you have it. Now, no more complaining. :P It's frustrating when people don't check out or comment on your stuff, I know, but just be pacient and keep developing in your skills.
Last edited by Morgoth on Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

[url=http://img343.imageshack.us/my.php?image=colorscott18rm.jpg][img]http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/2807/colorscott18rm.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Oh, and I colored this for you too.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Scott MacDonald

Holy crap... That is how I imagined it, and I did ask for Destructive interfierence. I mean Constuctive Critiwhatchyamacallsits, well thank you for it I have learned a thing or two about it. Like the x to mark light, which also will lead me to pay attention to the shadowing and Shading I do. as for the proportion thing... I doubt I will ever get that. and I normaly refer to a drawing at the start of my sketching but for architecture I normaly dont.

And yes I figure that any forums showcases stop being updated, normaly thats what I end up doing while I draw, but in the past few years I have started to not get board of drawing. and untill like last year I started not to get addicted to games and stop drawing. lol. and yes the door was suposed to be close to the daedric style... IM SORRY MY DAD IS THE ONE THAT DESIGNS AND SELLS DOORS! NOT ME!
In other news, the Lighthouse was my own Idea, I sorta figured that you got the Idea of it being daedric from the top. Well to tell you Daedric towers have FOUR BIG SHARP POINTY SPIKES THAT BURN WITH THE FIRES OF A THOUSAND EVIL'S! Mine have 3 cool looking over hanging pillar-like dohickys. Im not to sure what games I thought about when I drew it, Im gussing Golden Sun (Lighthouse itself and top flame holder), Tales of Symphonia (postition on land), Zelda OoT+WW (Outside walkways), Morrowind (S over the door + Sign) and yah thats probably a good start. Also the lighthouse was suposed to be like big, Like Real Freaking big, Like BFLH big.
And normaly in forums when you bump... ULTIMATE DEATH!!!
(of post. No Purchase Necicary)
But yah As for the broken towers... I dont know realy. The thing was suposed to be a HUGE! Subterainian village type thing. Dont make me get started on how huge it it.

as for thou. Jale. With a J. I dont scrible I create Priceful art. cauase Im to good to make it pricless. Cause if I did I would be on a Master Card comercial. See the math. But I will create some sketches for you. when im on the plane. 1 hour after we leave Vancouver to go to Japan. Because those 3 hours of flight from Winnipeg to Vancouver will use up the first 3 hours of power for my iPod. Do the math with only 4 hours of power and 1357 Songs. And we all know even though I bought Tales of Phantasia for the plane, I will beat it by tonight. But yes my art will be great. sorry my bad. It will be Better than great. For I am The Hurricane! Professional game reviewer for the Dakota Collegiate School news paper. hence my cool logo I made.
Yah aslong as there isnt to much Gundam stuff, Zelda Stuff, Mario Stuff, Nintendo Stuff, Anime Stuff, Game Stuff, Music Stuff, Computer Stuff, Movie Stuff, Technology Stuff, I will get a few sketches in. I MEAN PRICELESS ART! PRICEFULL! And thanks guys for the CC. COMMAND AND CONQUER! Or that other stuff.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

O_o

Well... alright then... keep us posted. :wink:
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dont take scribble as offensive :p. I get bored saying the same things so delve into my expansive vocabulary for new ways to say the same old things.
Scott MacDonald

I was trying to be humorous... not insultive... Do I suck at life or what. Well anyways can I put some concepts of Items here too or is that not needed?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Go ahead put it here if you want.

Or you could make a thread in the concept art forum.
Scott MacDonald

Why make a thread in the concept art forum? Whats the difference? Is this not the place to show off your work? Hence Showcase? What can be achieved of making a post in CA?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I see the concept art forum as a place more focussed on drawing. Showase is sorta a general showoff place but if we did all our work through here it would get mighty cluttered.

Also drawings in the concept art forum are probably more likely to get modelled.
Scott MacDonald

I see. Ok I will take a chance. Maby when I return I will post my collection.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Not true Jale. Things here are just as likely to get modelled, pending requirements. Other than that, a new thread isn't needed.

If you're going to stick to concept art, and you really want a concept art thread, I believe I can move this for you, hence, less clutter all around.

If its in showcase though, its more likely to get my attention (for Moddership status, that is; look at Nyren, who had been posting in the WSG for quite a while. He made a showcase thread, and was almost instantly promoted).

Of course, for things like Literature, Concept Art, and Sound/Music, I tend to differ to the Moderator's opinions of those respective areas anyway. So, its up to you.
Scott MacDonald

Im not to sure what I should do. Of couse I joined and posted he to try to be a Modder. But then I started to realize that is not what this is for. This is to help people like me improve my already legendary skills and to help other artists get tips from other peoples showcases. Of course I still want to be a modder for TR just because if you are a modder you can state your oppinion in other things that you accel in, such as the music in development, I play Trumpet and Bagpipes which allows me to have a greater deal of knowledge for music than the Average Joe and can appreciate it even if I am not to keen about that certain type of style and just let me say what I think could have been better or what is too good. Yah well you kinda get the message, but of course being choosen is based on many different specifycations and such. Which brings me to my next point. I dont realy know what to do about this.

And.....
while I am away I will be drawing. So... I would like of list of things you members, Modders and Other people of TR would like to see. The reason I ask this. Is because I need to spend a total of 48 hours on a plane, And my iPod will only work for 4 hours (8 in total). So what will I do for the other 40? Sleep and Draw... Hence I CANT THINK THAT MUCH! 40 hours to sleep and to draw, I might be able to keep it up for 5 hours at the max. So I need Ideas.
eg creatures, items, people, towns, archetechture, geographics and stuff like that.

It will help greatly. Thanks.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

My suggestion: Draw anything you feel like drawing.

No, seriously. If you draw what you WANT to draw, then you'll put more work into it, and it'll be better, because of the extra effort.

If you need a LIST of things to draw, that's kinda difficult. We'll need practically anything. Architecture, weapons, armor, creatures, misc items, flowers, towers, shrines, ruins, clothing, patternistic designs, rings, amulets, swords, traps, interior blueprints, magical monkey parts, theives, nobles, pirates, dames, clubs, camels, city layouts, gloves, shields, hairstyles, faces, hats, scenic pictures, magical effects, statues, packs, containers, trees, rocks, necromancers, dune dwellers, chains, attack pets, wall designs, dungeon layouts, ingredients, Dwemer things, maces, the undead, bones... etc... etc...

Maybe that will get you started, at least... look through the concept art thread to get a feel for the style we're going for if you're not sure. Best of luck :)
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

As Poha! said, anything can be done.

However, Hammerfell is the priority. My advise; browse TIL and think about an aspect of hammerfell culture you'd like to flesh out. I've done that with hammerfell theatre, music, and martial arts. Your ideas for a topic may not all be accepted- but in my experience it gets the ball rolling- and it gives you a bunch of things to draw.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Scott MacDonald

PoHa that list started out to blunt then slowly came into focus. thanks for the list. And also if I think up an Idea and try to draw it I normaly give up because I cant get something right. So anyways I will be going in a couple days so I will be on a few times.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Yes, well... that was just a random list of things that I could think of, more to show that we can use pretty much anything than to give you a definate list. But feel free to use it as a definate list if you want.

Also, you should probably scratch out the "magical monkey parts" bit ;)
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Scott MacDonald

way ahead of you.

Also I am drawing a concept of the ruins in the background of the desert pic.
Scott MacDonald

Sorry guys I never got enough time to draw on the trip just updating you, Im at school so I will elaborate later when I get home.

Cont...
Well it seemed that I didnt get much free time to do anything, and the plane was to cramped, had I been first class... I could have had space. but yah the trip was fun. Japan has awesome stuff, just wanted to let you know. I will be trying to draw sometime next week after I am all caught up on stuff. Sorry for the inconvienence.