black horse courier's OB Showcase

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Would you want to see streetlamps along the Official roads?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:30 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 16

The_Black_Horse_Courier

the black horse courier's Golden Showcase!

Post by The_Black_Horse_Courier »

On Thursday August 10th 2006, at about 6 in the afternoon, a powerful 9.1 magnitude quake jolted morrowind.

Reports state that the quake lasted 7 minutes with no pausing, and could be felt as far away as Mournhold City.

There was 2 deaths and 450 injured people and as a result, Red mountain came to life, spitting fire and lava chunks into the night sky.
Seyda neen was destroyed but not before everyone made it to safety. Two guards in the census office were unfortunely killed when a bookcase fell upon them.

More aftershocks followed, and a lava stream flowed into the north seas from the NW Foyadas. A manmade wall was quickly constructed, bloking all pathways out of the foyada, and was built so high that the lava couldnt flow over, and included a quick staircase should anyone need to get over either side.
the blocking was a success, as the lava flowed right on by.

The next day, another powerful earthquake happened, that was followed by a major banging sound in the SW Foyada. when observers went to check out this great noise, they found a lava river had just formed.
Also an explosion occurred in the North side of Red mountain, and more lava flowed.

Ghostgate survived, and so did the foyada in the NW, but the SW foyada is lost forever.

This mod is my showcase and this story behind it is like a newsletter depicting how the mod came to be.
the mod is a WIP that shows the player the magnitude of things.

(edit)

i have a newer update.
deleted esp, replaced esp.

August 24 2006 6:25 local time

Another update. Uploading esp. theres some new stuff added into the mix, and some other not needed rocks removed to keep frame rates up. no need to see the rocks below the lava, as stepping on it will kill your player character in the next update.
Last edited by The_Black_Horse_Courier on Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

I'm not too sure how this is TR related - but thanks for the effort :)
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
The_Black_Horse_Courier

TR relation

It is my showcase.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Oh, then you should post this in the Showcase forum. Be sure to read the stickies there for some tips and info. Welcome ;)
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Kiruvi

Post by Kiruvi »

If I could give you some constructive criticism: pay attention to the voice you use when you write. Make sure you're using the same words/phrases/sentence structure that the residents of Morrowind would be using. Also, keep the voice consistent. At one point, you're a little more formal:
Two guards in the census office were unfortunely killed when a bookcase fell upon them.
And then a little later, you use very informal wording:
that was followed by a major banging sound in the SW Foyada.
The writing is good overall, but the voice doesn't make the reader feel as if a Dunmer wrote the article. Also, on a more nitpicky note, make sure you use Tamrielic dates such as Hearth Fire, Sun's Dawn, etc. etc. Nice job, though.
This space intentionally left blank.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

i am not saying a dumner wrote it, as it isnt written in game.

i would also look very very ugly and would be a lab rat if i was dumner.

dumner = dummber.

(added via edit)

also, i see no one has downloaded and looked at it yet. i hope to update later.

i also am trying to make a Zifrabel bay area jail, so i can transfer all ingame prisoners to it and free up the jails (which are actually holding cells for courts) and adding Regional Courthouses to morrowind. I am also looking at scripts that will toughen the laws and make punitive punishment a reality.

maybe even a do-able torture chamber, where the npc will force you to lie on a table while he or she brads your body with a torch.

hopefully i can overwrite the ingame scripts to disable the disable and togglecollision, so that escape if impossable. maybe an autrosave feature later.

i love editing major things, so hopefully i can get my feet inside the threshold.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I beleive the great house councils and nobility also act as judges in Morrowind. There is an imperial court system, but it is almost subordinate to the great houses in many ways.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
The_Black_Horse_Courier

ya but they dont say if your guilty or not, it is just guards running to you and saying pay or we tooss you sorta thing.

i am focused on actually making the justice system more 'efficent'
Vality7
Developer

Post by Vality7 »

I'd just like to point out that the Foyada's do have names, not just NW Foyada. IIRC the SW is called Foyada Mamaea..look on the map anyway :P
The_Black_Horse_Courier

Thanks, i dont have my paper trail on me right now, so that is what i called it in case i was wrong.
Silverwood
Developer

Post by Silverwood »

Do you mean in the begining that the earthquake was in Vvardenfell, because if it was all of morrowind, of course Mournhold felt it.
Last edited by Silverwood on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

[url=http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=morrowindmap236yv.jpg][img]http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6455/morrowindmap236yv.th.jpg[/img][/url]

the main fault line in morrowind

notice that the inner sea appears to be a rift valley
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

There's only one "faultline" on that map and it is completely unofficial. Nothing in lore says anything about faultlines or rift valleys.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thats a silly silly map. It does not even include the largest volcano on the entirity of Tamriel, or the volcanic molag amur region. Silly silly.

Besides, according to records, it was the powers of Vivec that created the inner sea.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

From what I can see of your .esp, you have a river of lava that extends from GhostGate towards the south. I'm not sure what else to find, so if there are any really spiffy cells that you'd like to mention, please do.

Other than that, it being a work in progress that it is, its hard to say much about your skill. It looked like you used gridsnap and anglesnap for the lava (though I didn't do a complete and thorough search of that even), and you've got some rocks there to break up the vastness of it (Beth-placed rocks?) but with only that to go on, its difficult to say much more.

However the patience to go through and place all that lava is something to be proud of, I suppose, and your ideas for the judicial system sound interesting, though I wonder if they are at all doable.

In short, I think you have the imagination and determination to make great things, I've simply not seen it yet. :)
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
The_Black_Horse_Courier

No, this happened on the date in my first post real-time.

and the rocks and trees are being removed.

they all fell in when the ground opened up.
this isnt the recreation of the first major earthquake.

and jesus walked on water right?

Vivec made the inner sea according to religion, but yes in reality and by reading bethsofts lore, the red mountain did infact open up the inner sea.

and it wasnt due to earthquakes, there isnt a fault line, it was an explosion of red mountain that collapsed the inner sea's plains.

and sheogorath region (dagon fel) those rocks that jut up, are from the sky.

the red mountain had a quake in my game, now weither it does in your game or not, its up to you. and yes i use gridsnap, because its so hard and time consuming to put em together one at a time, and halfway up, i changed the scale from 1.49 to 2.00.
also i am changing the lava script so that it does kill the player if he lands in it. (it would kill a human just to touch it).

So 20k damage on touch.
the script should already be there, its just not applied to the object yet.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

my showcase

okay so the disaster in mw wasnt a good product, here is a WIP of the Zifrabel Bay Maximum Security Prison.

This prison is newly constructed and is designed to relieve the legions of their prisoners, and a small way for the province to make some extra moolah in exchange for some bad prisoners from other provinces.

While the Cyrodiil Prison (TBMSP) is built, the prisoners from all over cyrodiil, redguard ect will be spending their time here in morrowind.

It is a big place, no other interiors were contaminated with my hands, and its an exterior only, as i am working out where the infirmiry, barraks, cooking shed, and ADSEG will be.

I am thinking about using the Platforms that the prison is on as a cell area, and the middle buildings to house admin, cooking sheds, infirm, and other non evil things, while the lowest bowels will house ADSEG, SHU, and the Gen-pop.
Also there will be a 'corpusarium' for the nutjobs (whack-shack).

tell me what you think. ESP Uploaded
Last edited by The_Black_Horse_Courier on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

doesnt anyone want to look at my 2 showcases???
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Sorry, don't have ES3. Only OB.
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

that map has caused me nothing but grief

i think its time i got rid of it

its been thoroughly debunked

anyway

I'll have a look at your showcase as it sounds like an interesting idea

The_Black_Horse_Courier

Tyron: What map??

Noir: why dont u gotz tes3?
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

I don't have many games installed on my PC from 5 years ago... meaning none.

Plus, I did a bit (too much) modding for TES3 back in the day. I've moved onto OB.
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

the map that i just deleted from imageshack

the one up there^

anyway

your prison

its a good concept, but it needs some work

-The imp platforms may not be a good idea, as all the courtyard areas are full of holes where the platform corners meet

-The four large towers flanking the entrance all bleed into each other

-The two main towers bleed into each other, it looks intentional but you can't have things overlap like that because its going to look bad when you go to play it

-The entrances are... too small. you could try adding a gate to the outer wall instead of a door

-You need to fill this place up with all the trappings that would be expected at a prison complex too. Right now its too bare, althiough I'm sure you're working on this already.

Other than that though its a nice layout. I await your finished .esp.

The_Black_Horse_Courier

>

Umm, the 4 towers near the entrance, they are administration and are ment to bleed, as they are one.

the spaces in the plats will be filled last, and will be done with something... i see it as a pic in my mind, but dont remember the code in the cs.

and the door to where is too small?

edit: i hate multi psting

Umm the trappings are being worked on, right now i want to get the walls setup.

i am uploading an update now. it includes the walls, partial done, but not final.

theyre split like that for organization (copy and pasting in place) and for proper calculations in ratio to in/out.

and i am changing this topic to my showcase.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Re: >

Post by Tyrion »

The_Black_Horse_Courier wrote:Umm, the 4 towers near the entrance, they are administration and are ment to bleed, as they are one.
Ok, take for example any imp wall piece. When you overlap part of the wall, you get that nasty flickery glitchy effect during play because the two peices are occupying the same space. If the are meant to be one building then I suggest finding an alternative way to link them, or offset them slightly so they don't overlap. It will only make your showcase look better.
The_Black_Horse_Courier wrote: and the door to where is too small?
The two doorframes that you included are dwarfed by the architecture around them. If this was your original intent then there is no need to change it.

As for the interior. I see that you are just starting. In the future try to only post when you are farther along, or finished for that matter.

Other than that I cant say much else as there is little else there.
Last edited by Tyrion on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

dwarf doors:
Okay, i dont know what you mean there. plz post screenie.

is there a way to make a tower just as wide without the flicker effect?

edit

sorry, yea that was my intent.

this place is supposed to house as many prisoners as possible, so ya by comparision the door frames are small while the buildings are gigantic.

it is intentional. and i would like some input on how to make a fully functioning portcullis switchable from only the administration building.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

No, but you don't have to change its size. Just its position. You can try double clicking the tower to bring up the static window, then changing the X, Y, or Z positions by a tiny amount. It won't line up perfectly so it wont overlap, but it probably won't be noticeable during play either. Or you could just stagger the height a little bit.

And the doors i mentioned are the two ex_imp_wallent_02 doorframe pieces. They just seem a little too small to me, thats all.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

tried to post,

man, i give up.

so ill try again.....

Thanks for the suggestions, and:

i took my player through the place and saw some more errors.

but, its so dang gigantic.

i am listening to creed - higher, and it is motivating me to finish up the mod.

thanks.

edit:

I have finished the North-West Administration interior, and in total, there are 9 storeys to it, the wall being on the 4th floor.

I still have to do the overhang, and then the cellblocks need doing.
i am also going to build a bath-vat. basically the pc can swim in it to clean him/herself.

I am also making the crawlspaces/pipes area open to the prison workers/security detail. it is accessable, but its considered escape, and will put 15 years on the pc's bed.
i am also making a kick account for the pc prisoner, where someone on the outside puts money into it, and the prisoner buys snacks with it.
The money is transferable from prisoner-prisoner, and this makes the jails more corrupt-able.

So, now on to the other admin.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

Okay, i have finished the admin interior.

Umm, and i put the wall together, so have a look tyron.

i also added awnings to the wall on the northwest side, and is still under construction.

the administrations building is about the same size as the towers.

edit: removed old esp file
Last edited by The_Black_Horse_Courier on Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

The awning needs looking at. The boards don't cover the backs of the awning pieces entirely. Also, thats a big interior, and its only a fraction of what's there. It may be a good idea to scale down the prison so you can concentrate more on making it look really nice. A small, clean, well laid out and appointed mod is preferable to a big sloppy and bare one.

So think about maybe making a few less than nine floors. Seven is probably more than enough. You can use the big 4way pieces instead of the small ones to open it up and cut down on the amount of floors.

Also, there are no stairs. You can use trapdoors if you have to, but from how you describe this as an administration building, I would think you'd want stairs.

The_Black_Horse_Courier

there is stairs, they just haven't beeen added yet.

the large tower in the front area serves as a stairway, with rooms attached.

*paused to stop fire*

okay, anyways, the central tower will provide stairway access in a maximum secure design on all levels including bsmts.

Administration is big because of records, and personal belongings of the prisoners.

it also includes a main admittance for prisoners, and a strip search clean up area. also visitation is there.

the place is big for a reason, and the walls will be added in later (think studs and then drywall)
The_Black_Horse_Courier

Well, another update.

got the south Tower etched or roughed in.

the only visable part is visitation, and i am incorperating a staircase there.

There are some doors in their doorways, both in and out.

once i have finished the west section, i will divide and seperate the administration building into its own interior.

what i am doing, is making the entire above basement into one whole interior, and then i am copying and pasting pieces into their own respective interior cells, so that they wont need to share with the walls of Zifrabell bay.

uploaded esp.

(edit)

removed esp, please dl below.
Last edited by The_Black_Horse_Courier on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

It's too big.

trust me

I admire that you are doing something on a scale like this but to make things easier you could just scale it down. You don't need hundreds of prisoners. Quality over quantity is what we look for. It makes your mod look better and it makes reviewing easier for us.

The_Black_Horse_Courier

Morrowind is too big for me,

besides, it is being done on a tile by tile and all is quality.

this is for my use too, it isnt just a piece to show n throw.

so ya, when its done itll look great, and not empty.

(appended)

oh, and i finished my foyada thing. ill upload when i can.

okay, do not use these two in conjunction with each other. only one or the other.

one is regular summer, the other is in the winter.
No other files required.
Last edited by The_Black_Horse_Courier on Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

Okay,

major major update and fix.

I decided i was putting the inside wall together,

i placed the walls and the towers along the walls in. i also did the 4th floor of the Whack-Shack (Corpusarium on basement to come) when i noticed that the walls were offset and way too cockeyed.

so i figured that the east looked way better than the west, so i selected the entire administration north via lasso and moved it north and out of my way.

same for the south, only its still in the south.
i fixed the walls up to have it look realistic, (they were small for what the outside looks like). so i copied one side, and pasted it and reattached.

the admin needed serious fixing to attach it to the better walls,

its done now, and i will work on the south tomorrow.

uploading a new esp, please look at the radical changes.

i am leaving the older one there for comparison.

(appendage)

Okay, another major update.
i finished the south administration/visitation building, and i finished the Wack-Shack. I will start working on the tiers and the undercroft of the wack shack (corpusarium goes there).
also, ADSEG will be down in the lowest areas below Tier.
Then lastly, the central buildings which will have the kitchens, the secretaries/scribes, and the prison Warden's offices, and the Prison guards barracks.

i also have to connect the front towers to the system. uploading esp.

(edit)

removed esp. please dl latest version.
Last edited by The_Black_Horse_Courier on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Re: the black horse courier's Golden Showcase!

Post by Tyrion »

The_Black_Horse_Courier wrote:On Thursday August 10th 2006,
you used real time, not ES time

The_Black_Horse_Courier

ya i know.

it isnt published like that in game.
in es time its a few days earlier and the real world doesnt have that format.

and an update.

My mod is going to be done in multiple steps.
Rough-ins, doorjams and doors, lights, detail.

detail includes: cluttering, lock details, the very small things.

Rough-ins finished: exterior, Admin building NorthWest, admin building southwest; visitation, all outside wallways,
wack-shack, ADSEG.

still adding the inside wallways, which include 5- 3 storey tiers that will house gen pop.
and the corpusarium, an ADSEG under the wack-shack designed for criminals wih dementia, and for general loonies of tamriel.
esp added.

(edit)
esp removed please dl latest version
Last edited by The_Black_Horse_Courier on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

I just had an earthquake!
I could actually feel it.

I was sitting in the general quarters of the frostmoth fort when we all felt it.

I havent gone back to Vvardenfell to check out the damage if any.

update on the prison...

The Tiers now have their spaces, but i cannot find the multi level imperial open pieces, so i will just go with the upper 2 as cells and the lower 1 a common area.
after tiers are done, i will be working on the corpisarum, and then the central part of the prison.
The Infirmiry will be done before the main warden's buildings go up.

after all rough-ins are complete, i will work on doors, lighting, furnature, and object details.
i will also clutter the outside yard and finish up on the awnings over the patrol wall, and add the caging to the top of the walls. (wood planking and guess what? INVISOWALL).

So even if your character tries a jumping, and you set your character to jump into space, his/her head will crack open in the inviso wall and not the skies.

after i finish on the looks, i will need help with npcs and path grids, if anyone is wanting to help.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

update on showcase

Major update.

The Common area of one of the four General Population is roughed in.

The ADSEG is Done with roughins.
Infirmiry will be under center stairways (the one from the front west tower below the scribe's offices.).

other than that, i work again on it tomorrow, getting them finished and i will be splitting them sooner than i thought, due to the outer stuff being in my camera's view very close up.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

Forgot the esp.

(Appendage)

Update again.

Doorjambs are added in to: ADSEG, Most hallways in underground walkways, Cellblock A Commons,

I also split and moved the following to their own cells

Administration Building, Visitation.

i prepared and will move the following:

ADSEG, Infirmiry, Cell Block A Bathing Room, Corpusarium, The Asylum.

There is a new cell, which will never be part of the actual mod, it is just for troubleshooting and technical purposes,and it is called blueprint.

it will contain the entire interior section of the prison, minus lights furnuture, and other goodies. it will just be structure and doors.

Updated esp uploaded.

(appendage)

Major update.

I was hoping to make the infirmiry opened on both sides of the main stair, and then an idea came to mind....

i was halfway through roughing in the infirmiry, when the though came.
all this time ive been wondering where and how the entrance to the asylum (whack-shack) would go.

The stairs were going to be in and under the outer walls around the 3x3 building in the back. But not no more.

The doctors need a way to the infirmiry which is safe and free of cons. In turn, the cons must be secured whilst inside the infirmiry. All infirmiries in jails are the weakest chains when it comes to security, because they link to most parts of the complex.

so, that said, i am changing the design to a more compact infirmiry, out patients being near the wall entrance, and overnighters in the secured middle. i was going to make another out patient on the far end, but now it will not happen.
I will extend the SHU instead, and i have made the tower in the front of the admin buildings one level deeper. and is used for doctor's entry. the main stairs now has a stairway below which goes directly to Basement 2 level, where a hall will go to a possible 3 way. 1 way back, 1 way to the asylum's doctor offices and 1 to the corpisarium.
Easy access for cons that need shipping to court, the doctors, and of course admitting prisoners and possible patients is much more easier.

Please comment on how you like or dislike this mod. i am open to constructive critism.

updated esp uploaded
Last edited by The_Black_Horse_Courier on Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.