Spartan Armor

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Kiruvi

Spartan Armor

Post by Kiruvi »

I'm trying to find a mod for Spartan armor and weapons for morrowind. Not Halo SPARTANs. Spartans from Lacedaemon. The deadliest soldiers in the history of the world. The ones who train every day of their lives from the 12th birthday until they are allowed to retire at age 60. The ones who carry a bronze and oak aspide, wear bronze greaves, helm, and cuirass, bear the red cloak, and wield a xiphos and eight-foot spear. Enough waxing eloquent...
If anybody knows of where I could find such a mod, or if anybody else would be interested in seeing something like this, let me know. I think it would be awesome to gut ash vampires with a xiphos...
This space intentionally left blank.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

you mean spartan hoplites?

check your grammer and definitions

Spartan Hoplites carry a xyphos which is a 4-5m long spear, a bronze shield called a hoplon, and bronze and boiled leather armour consisting of a cuirass, greaves, and a bronze helmet. They fight in closely packed groups called phalanxes, where several ranks of hoplites bring their spears to bear on an enemy while ranks farther back angle their spears to ward off enemy arrows.

They also used iron and wood in their armor, and their spear heads were often iron, but the butts were always bronze. Bronze does not rust like iron even though it is far less durable.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

www.elderscrolls.com/forums/ would be a much better place to ask than here.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Kiruvi

Post by Kiruvi »

Yes, Tyrion, I mean hoplites. And my grammar was structured in such manner on purpose. To suggest short, over-dramatized phrasing. Like William Shatner. And, you are wrong on several points. Be sure to check your grammar, spelling, and definitions. The xiphos is in fact a short, gladius-like sword averaging approximately 60 centimeters in length which was used when the enemy was too close for effective use of the eight-footer, or, as often happened, if the spear was broken during the initial clash with the enemy. A four-to-five meter spear would be 12-15 foot long, and too unwieldy to use in a phalanx formation; the standard Spartan spear was 2.7 meters in length, or 8 feet. The standard shield of a Spartan hoplite was a wooden bowl called an aspis(which, I apologize, I incorrectly reffered to as an aspide in my earlier post), commonly, however incorrectly, called a hoplon. Spartan hoplites were also equipped far differntly than hoplites from the rest of Hellas, since the equipment of Spartan warriors was dictated by the laws of Lykurgus, while the remainder of Greek infantry were required to provide their own equipment, and allowed to decorate it at will. Also, the phalanx is not simply a 'closely-packed group.' The Spartan phalanx was a meticulously arranged ranking, usually eight deep, wherein each soldier's shield protected both himself and the man to his right, while providing a space for the eight-footer to lower and kill things. This is the reason for the Spartan law that a man who throws down his helmet or breastplate in battle is not punished, but throwing down one's shield was an offence punishable by exile and loss of all claims to citizenship.
I apologize for cluttering your board with undue lectures, Haplo. I also have requested information on the aforementioned mod at several other Elder Scrolls forums, but also felt that a small community of modders such as this would be able to provide some relevant information. Thanks.
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

I dunno about dealiest.. That can arguably be said about any segregated class of elite soldiers on timeline.. That being said, hoplites aren't my favorite of the poke-you'se-till-you-croak variety
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

i dunno about that, surely anybody wielding a Halberd or poleaxe can be classed as the deadliest
On a concrete cross you fall
Both a martyr to your cause and mine

[url=http://angelus6.110mb.com/3dMaxGallery.html][img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3307/newsig01zv0.jpg[/img][/url]
Kiruvi

Post by Kiruvi »

Absolutley not. "Anybody" wielding a halberd or poleaxe can be a much greater danger to himself and his allies if he is not trained, and the same can be said of any weapon. The Spartans were the most feared military of their time because they were trained almost from birth to be the ultimate warrior. A halberd or poleaxe is only as good as it's wielder, and even the shortest of knives is more dangerous than a halberd at close range. Hence, the Spartan's use of eight-foot spears for the initial assault and the short xiphos for infighting.
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

fair enough, you really know your stuff :)

[url=http://angelus6.110mb.com/3dMaxGallery.html][img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3307/newsig01zv0.jpg[/img][/url]
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Ah, ancestor talk...
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Personally, I think the Marines are deadlier. What with the guns and all.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Is this another versus thread?.. cause if thats the case, my dad could totally beat up everyone elses Dad. Even if your dad was a Spartan.
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

*blows rasberry at everyone*

Kiruvi

Post by Kiruvi »

Of course, not even the Spartans could stand up to the ferocity of French taunting.
"I fart in you general direction, sons of a window dresser, and I call your door-opening request a 'silly thing', you tiny-brained wiper of other people's bottoms. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Kiruvi wrote: A four-to-five meter spear would be 12-15 foot long, and too unwieldy to use in a phalanx formation;
Macedonian phalanx used a spear that was 13-21 feet (3-7 meter) called a sarrisa. Since this was too heavy to carry single handed they had to wield it with two hands. They strapped a small shield to their left arm instead.

Hoplon is indeed not the shield but usually refers to the entire equipment of the hoplite.

They were maybe the deadliest troops of their time, but the phalanx formation became obsolete with the comming of the more agile roman legionaires. Though even when the phalanx formation was still popular it was still weak to attacks in the flanks by cavalery or light missle troops. Spartans being the deadliest troops is an opinion, not a fact. (War elephants were pretty deadly for example).
Kiruvi

Post by Kiruvi »

*ahem* But back to the question about the mod...
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Haplo wrote:www.elderscrolls.com/forums/ would be a much better place to ask than here.
This is your answer.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

Nuh UHHH

My mum could beat your dad up.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

And my sister could beat your whole family!
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

how many of you play Rome Total War?

I swear I saw something from one of the unit cards in one of these posts.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Lock-ed. The answer to this guy's question appears twice in this thread, and that's enough.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined