Why'd you use this avatar? Psychological, in-depth thread.

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Why'd you use this avatar? Psychological, in-depth thread.

Post by El Scumbago »

So, the question is simple. Why did you use your current/older avatar? Just because it's nice? Does it mean something to you? Is there a story behind it? Does it express something special?
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

I made this icon for a dream game of mine (Khemet: the black lands). Since then I think it's associated with me- so I made a couple varients of it- but the wedjet will remain in one form or another.

It will always serve as a reminder of the idea for the game, and maybe someday I'll get to make it real.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Which one?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

This thread is meant for all but Sload (your case is obvious, you suffer from total identity confusion!).
Kidding, whichever you want to talk about.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I change my avatar either whenever I get sick of the current one or when I find another that's better. This one was generously shown to me by a good friend who joined TR but then never actually posted; I laughed so hard at first that I pretty much couldn't breathe. It's gonna stay for a while.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Turelio drew a picture back when I was lit mod for special use and it clicked.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I'll just list all the ones I can remember:

Wierd Al Yankovic
A Sload
A big white eye
A guy in a straight jacket
(I get fuzzy here, so these'll be out of order and very incomplete)
Adrian Monk
Cosmo Kramer
Bill O'Reilly
this guy that Dexter drew
George Costanza
Sherlock Holmes Sload
the Architect
Che
the Walrus from Walrus and the Carpenter
Mr. Quimper
Ragged Robin (I think)
eBay's it thing
Fozzy the Bear
Wierd Al again
A third Wierd Al avatar
a really sucky fake pop-up box
Morpheus
(Okay, here we get back into relative order)
Sloadium
John Lennon
Oprah Winfrey
Bob Ross
Marey Carey
Abbie Hoffman

Any you can remember would be appreciated.
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

Easy question. Lutemoth is my avatar is my character is my webname is myself. Lute's been a long-running character I used in travels since the warp of the west, and everyone's come to associate the Dark elf burglar with me.

By the way, that's an impressive list, Sload
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I wanted an avatar, saw this and picked it.
Macar wrote:I made this icon for a dream game of mine (Khemet: the black lands). Since then I think it's associated with me- so I made a couple varients of it- but the wedjet will remain in one form or another.

It will always serve as a reminder of the idea for the game, and maybe someday I'll get to make it real.
I have a dream game too, it's (temp) ane is Cows: Udders of Steel. :]
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
NEENJA
Developer

Post by NEENJA »

I wanted to make an avatar that fits ninjas (NEENJA=ninja, get it?) I whipped something up quick in photoshop, and I prefer to stay with one avatar, as I view it kind of as my face: I'll always use the name NEENJA when I can, but when it's taken, I'll just use this avatar so I'm easy to recognize on the web.

(I think I joined TR during Sload's Sloadinium phase. I do miss the Marey Carey one, though, and I would have liked to see a weird al one, too. Eat it.)

--the NEENJA
"Beware, woman! Go away from here--go away, now, or it will be the worse for you. I am an unprotected male, but I will preserve my honor at the peril of my life!"

~Mark Twain
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

I joined when Sload has his second Weird Al avatar, becuase I remeber Jale bitching to me how it reminded him of his shit female maths teacher. Fair enoghu to him, she must be pretty shit if she looks like Weird Al. On account of her being a woman.... and .. that.

I took part both in the periodic table avatar craze and the Beatles craze where Paul McCartney was left out in the cold. As the 3 others partied on TR.

My avatars always ahve my name on them... apart from the beathles one, or indicate my name. becuase neitehr this current one, nor the Poundinium actually said my name.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus
Location: That big place next to the smaller place with the tree.

Post by Morgoth »

I have had six avatars.

- Original Morgoth
- Original Morgoth with Santa hat. (Soon to make a reappearance.)
- Morgoth with Daedric "Morgoth", no flames.
- Morgoth with Daedric "Morgoth", animated flames.
- Morgothinium or whatever the hell my element turned out to be.
- Johnny Carson. Current.

And the Signature/avatar: "Join the dark side, we have cookies."

This is over a year-and-four month period, so I'm not too eclectic yet. The ones depicting Morgoth are obvious. The one with the radioactive symbol was peer pressure. (Just say no!) The Johnny Carson one is awesome, and shows the expression I always have when I'm on TR. (Which may in fact be frightening.)

I may or may not have used one of an elf I drew here. I don't recall it. And Sload, I joined during the "guy in the straight jacket" phase, and for old-times sake I want you to bring it back (Along with the "Ers hng lo" signature.)
Founder of the Realms of Renth. Please give us a visit!

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4640/sigbannerap7.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
CleverClothe
Developer

Post by CleverClothe »

I needed an avatar, so I used a picture of my character that I use for a save game manager for Oblivion (and it fits Hammerfell!).

I will probably change it (and write a signature).
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

My avatar is my Starwars Galaxies character, which is where I used the name Orix for the first time too. I took a screenie in game and my good friend in the guild photoshopped it into an avatar for me. I guess I always use that one because I always call myself Orix, and the avatar is his first ever incarnation.

I only have one other avatar (on forums) and thats a white chinese dragon style oroborus with a red background.
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

well, at first i had a walking frog from some anime (hello kitty maybe?) cause it was cute. there are few old enough to rember that phase :) (heh, there was even a segment about it towards the end of the great story thread). after a while yinnie PMed me saying that it was too big (probably cause it was animated) and i had to take it down. i went thorough several avatars wich were small and insignificant (the only one i can rember is a daedric D). then one day i got a G4 newsletter saying that their site was having technical difficulties. the newsletter was acompanied by a picture of a squirrel sitting on an electrical outlet with chewed wires around it. i realy loved the picture, so i croped it to include only the squirrles head and colored the eyes red. its been my avatar ever since (i did have a elemt av for a while, but that had the squirrel in the background). the eyes acutaly blinked for a while, but then the site that i had it hosted on went down and i couldnt find the file on my computer.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

When I joined this forum and saw everyone with an avatar, I decided to jump onto the bandwagon and drew the pic. to the left. :wink: I don't even need to explain the rest. :]

And as everyone seems to be posting what Sload's avatar was when they joined, it was "the Walrus from Walrus and the Carpenter" with me, and I can't believe that there were so many avatars since then.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

My avatar? It goes without saying, I guess...
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Viewed from a purely artistic and aesthetic perspective, I believe Nemon's avatar rocks awesomely too much. That soft blue light is pure magic. I admit though that I expected more people to be bound to their avatar, as if seeing their reflection in it.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

You just look too much into pretty pictures.

Though I tend to associate other people to their avatars, if you find that more philosophical and deep. For example, whenever I think of Lady N, I envisage a blue satanic squirrel (and vice versa :]). Swifty: a red-orange squirrel. Dexter: a white skull on black. Jale: black and white photo of his (?) face. Lutemoth: the purple Dunmer with green hair. Morgoth: Morgoth from the Silmarillion. Sload: an eyeball. I know some of those avatars have changed, but I don't associate their new avatars with them.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Indeed. I always tend to associate Sload with that slimy avatar he had when I first joined (the Sload), and Dexter with that muscled guy that once was his avatar.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Here's the avatar I usually use:
[img]http://gez117.free.fr/Avatars/error404.jpg[/img]

Okay. More seriously, I don't bother much with avatars, actually. I think the cat taking the "missing image" icon away is the only one I used there.
Nomadic1 wrote:Though I tend to associate other people to their avatars
I associate you with the :] smiley. It's your favorite.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I thought it was a polar bear.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

It looked like a monkey to me. :)

Anyway, I associate Nomadic with the dog and the smiley, but usually the way I view people changes with their avatars. (By the way, this means that at one point Sload did indeed take on the character of Opra in my mind, that was strange...)
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Gez wrote:
Nomadic1 wrote:Though I tend to associate other people to their avatars
I associate you with the :] smiley. It's your favorite.
Yeah, that smiley is my personal trademark copyrighted property :]
Gnomey wrote:(By the way, this means that at one point Sload did indeed take on the character of Opra in my mind, that was strange...)
Sload's weight cycled between thin and morbidly obese with ridiculous speed?
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I started out with a cliche daedric "O". Moved on to the Lannister coat of arms. I had an element avatar, I think mine was Tyrionium Lannistite or something like that, when element avatars were all the rage. Went back to the coat of arms, and then I'm not sure if I went straight to my Link avatar or if there was something else in between.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

El Scumbago wrote:Viewed from a purely artistic and aesthetic perspective, I believe Nemon's avatar rocks awesomely too much. That soft blue light is pure magic...
Heh, photographed with my Samsung E700 in a Mitshubishi Lancer, two minutes after hearing "yes". Unedited, exept for size.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

Raistlin Majere. Master of Past and Present. He's always been one of my favourite fantasy characters. This has always been my favourite picture of him; some of them show him as very soft-skinned, or too golden so that he almost looks flamboyant.
"My dear, I believe that Cheirotherium's footsteps are undoubtedly testudinal."
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Heh, photographed with my Samsung E700 in a Mitshubishi Lancer, two minutes after hearing "yes". Unedited, exept for size.
:o

I thought that was stock photography. Nice job! :D
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Eyeball's avvy ftw

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Rockwell
Developer

Post by Rockwell »

I chose Mario because I hail from the dawn of the popular gaming era (Also known as the 'Third generation of video game history' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28third_generation%29) . I say popular, because there were of course, many other consoles and video games before the NES came around, but video games didn't really become mainstream until NES and onward. So, I feel that mario is pretty representitive of the era of computer/video games that I grew up with and my experience with them, as well as how old I am. I was raised on the NES.

I believe I joined when Sload had some kind of buger looking avatar that was supposed to be a sload.
Soy tu pana
http://rockwell.topcities.com
matts05
Reviewer

Post by matts05 »

Meerkats rock.

I change my avatar every couple months to give it freshness (along with a matching sig, of course). I think I first had the guy from the simpsons that always said "Yessssssss?", then I had Mrs. Doubtfire.
Ron Paul - Hope for America!

[url]http://www.ronpaul2008.com[/url]
The Old Ye Bard

Post by The Old Ye Bard »

I usually use the bard looking character, with the crazy hat that has bat wings (The one I used for the time I first began). Then I used an old dude with half his face darkened (In PS), then I went back to my first Avatar, then I gave it a back ground with grass and sky, then I've moved to this one of a log cabin with a Christmas tree in it (I have a version without it to). Tomorrow I will go back to my first Avatar, but with a Christmas hat on it.
-Saddistic_Angel-

Post by -Saddistic_Angel- »

Dimmu Borgir are awesome && they have spiky boots.
Ignore the extra d, please.
Upsilon
Developer

Post by Upsilon »

This little chair is the logo of Eighteenth Street Lounge, a record label which I particularly like (thievery corporation, all that stuff). Very very good music!
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Say, wasn't there a thread about why people chose the name they use? I'd like to read that again, but I couldn't find it... any clues as to it's location?
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

The archives!
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
-Saddistic_Angel-

Post by -Saddistic_Angel- »

o.O There are archives?
Ignore the extra d, please.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

There was a thread about how old people were, or when they joined the project, which was kind of pointless pretty soon because the only people posting in it were people who joined after these forums were created. So we archived it.

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I just really like this picture with the axe and the red. It fits me well because i somewhat look like a viking (blond hair, blue eyes and about as tall as one should have been) and I like to go woodcutting. And red and green are my favorite colours.
Morgoth Bauglir
Developer

Post by Morgoth Bauglir »

Easy, It's Morgoth and Ungoliath. My avatar before this one was Garet (or something like that) from Thief, but a bit changed to make it evil, like morgoth.

Ungoliath has nothing to do with it though.
Veni, bibi, vomui