please define spam.

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Zalzidrax
Developer

SPAM!

Post by Zalzidrax »

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7YedEopp4]SPAM![/url]

For those of you unaware of the origins of this word's modern usage.
skittles

please define spam.

Post by skittles »

ok... seriously this time... DEFINE SPAM!!!!!!!

this is the definition of spam from ask.com:

1.spam (n.) Unsolicited e-mail, often of a commercial nature, sent indiscriminately to multiple mailing lists, individuals, or newsgroups; junk e-mail.

2. spam (v.) To send unsolicited e-mail to.

3. Spam (p.n.) A trademark used for a canned meat product consisting primarily of chopped pork pressed into a loaf.

def 2 is probably what TR examines the most but ALOT of threads would be profiled by that. even this one. def 1 is obviously out cuz its .org and not .com and def 3 is also out.

anyone give me a hint? seriously.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

SPAM on internet forums generally stands for Short/Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages, or one of many other variants.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Spam is something that is worthless and not worth reading, something that is unrelated to the discussion, or something stupid that is related to the discussion.

Like this thread. There isn't really a point to it, but for the sake of fairness, I'll let others define it too.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Kikaimegami
Developer

Post by Kikaimegami »

@Skittles - Spam is when you make wildly off-topic posts, either with the intention of raising your postcount, or to just be annoying. Spam is also when you post things that go out of bounds of what is expected to be posted on a given forum.

This thread, for example, is spam. You should PM the person who warned you to stop spamming (as they were a Moderator) and ask them what their definition is, instead of posting a thread about it. It's rather rude and immature.
[img]http://tes.kikaimegami.com/etc/atrios-sig.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.kikaimegami.com/main]Home of the Machine Goddess[/url]
-Saddistic_Angel-

Post by -Saddistic_Angel- »

No, it's not spam actually.
It's on topic.
This is the lounge >.<
You can post practically anything here, and reply with anything, as long as it's on topic. And the topic was spam.
Ignore the extra d, please.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Well, not anything...
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

I'll note that Haplo merged skittles' thread about defining spam with Zalzidrax', so all the posts before Saddistic(Sadistic is the right spelling) Angel's and after Zalzidrax's happened before the merge. Thanks for not reading.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

-Saddistic_Angel- wrote:No, it's not spam actually.
It's on topic.
This is the lounge >.<
You can post practically anything here, and reply with anything, as long as it's on topic. And the topic was spam.

Well you're wrong. The thread Skittles made was pointless, and really I think the lounge is abused. Lounge is for random worldly news, and stuff unrelated to TR. Or atleast threads and posts with sense, not 'practically anything' but 'practically anything interesting or useful'. This seems (or seemed before the merge) to be neither.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Even the lounge has spam ;)

as to posting practicaly anything, there was actualy a time where the lounge was compeatly clozed down (and it sofa relocated to admins) because people did post practicaly anything (and flamed eachother, but thats for another thread)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Is this in reference to [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=17953]this[/url]?

If so, here are the reasons you felt that everyone hated you.

"HOLY SHIZ" isn't an interesting title. All it says is that somebody got so excited he forgot to put a real title on his thread. (It may happen to anyone.)

Does it imply the thing will actually interest *you*? Well, no. Would you be better ignoring it altogether? Who knows. It's a risk to take, but the greater risk is wasting your time with an useless thread.

Now, if the title was something like "See through walls with a camera!", the thread becomes potentially more interesting. One knows before opening it what the topic is, and so one can judge for oneself if that's worth opening or not (rather than defaulting to "not worth it").

Unexplicit thread titles will often be considered spam, because they're annoying.

It's like in journalism. Would you subscribe to a newspaper whose articles would always be entitled things like "OMFG!!!" or "Chek tihs out its cool" or "WTF? Just, WTF?"? Now if the title was instead "Extraterrestrial Lifeform Found", then it's something else. You know it's probably just some sort of Martian bacteria, nothing really exciting, but your curiosity is aroused because you know what the article will talk about, yet you don't know what it says exactly. You'll want to read the details.

With one of the parodic titles I gave above, you don't know what the article is about, so you're not curious and you don't care to even open the thread. (Unless there's something else to make it interesting. "Oh shit..." isn't interesting, but "Oh shit..." signed by the admin is interesting. The only reason I opened your "HOLY SHIZ" thread was because it was put in the cave, arousing my perverse curiosity. Somehow, topics are always more interesting when they're locked, because you want to know why they've been locked. That's the Internet equivalent of the car wreck effect.)

So now you know.
skittles

Post by skittles »

then literally the lounge is just one spam forum... going nowhere... whats the point of locking a thread for spam if almost all messages ARE spam in the lounge... considering thats wat it is...
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

there is a difference between "threads that are not related to TR" and spam. spam is random shit that has no bearing what so ever.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Thread Title --- Explanation --- Spam?

please define spam. --- Thread Clarifying spam --- Not really
Tablet PCs --- Necromanced BS thread --- Spam
Why'd you use this avatar? Psychological, in-depth thread. --- Title explains it --- no (it adds insight and such)
GOOD tuturoials on skeletons/armature/animation? --- Asking for a tutorial --- not spam
An Apology --- Starcrunch returning --- Anti-spam
What race would you be? --- more insight --- not spam
I'm New --- newbie asking questions from the FAQ --- sort of spam
A question about Oblivion and the CS. --- modding related --- not spam
Make Human --- 3d rendering of the human body --- spam, and irrelevant

Hopefully these explanations will clear up the spam question
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

skittles wrote:then literally the lounge is just one spam forum... going nowhere... whats the point of locking a thread for spam if almost all messages ARE spam in the lounge... considering thats wat it is...
The fact you are still continuing to post is spam! You have just had it explained to you from 4 or 5 separate people, and yet you still persist. This thread is spam, TF just made an excellent "diagram", and I see no reason to have posted yet another post in the greasy spam souffle apart from the fact that Andres, TF and myself have great knowledge in spam, specifically spam poems. We know what we are looking at.

The point is that not all threads in the lounge should be spam, but unfortunately, due to you and others of your spam-fetish disposition keep on posting rubbish. I even think TF was being harsh with that list he made, so make model, sensible threads, for people to read without having to decipher the leetspeak, so they can decide whether the thread is a waste of time and finally try not to post rubbish. We are all guilty of that some point, well, I definitely am.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Now, this thread is as good as locked due to the amount of pointless spam it contains, although it could be stickified as a "what to avoid" FAQ.

Skittles: Are you trying to get the upper hand here? Because I have the impression you're wasting your time in these forums. Seriously now, you came here and wanted to join the team, yet you post nothing but useless/pointless stuff all this time. If you're not into modding, why are you here in the first place?
The question is rhetorical and for you to think, not to answer.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

El Scumbago wrote:Skittles: Are you trying to get the upper hand here?
what does this even mean
El Scumbago wrote:Because I have the impression you're wasting your time in these forums. Seriously now, you came here and wanted to join the team, yet you post nothing but useless/pointless stuff all this time.
He has a showcase you know, and while what he posts is not ES related he could probably parlay what he is doing into some ES related models
El Scumbago wrote:If you're not into modding, why are you here in the first place?
We ARE a forum, this IS a community, and he DOES have a showcase.

Skittles, You personally CAN be spammy at times, and you really should tone it back a bit, however spam is inevitable, and in moderation can be fun. Finally, you are not as useless as Scummy makes you out to be. (prove this to him by continuing to work through the showcase)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo