Virginia Tech shootings

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

sirwootalot123
Developer

Virginia Tech shootings

Post by sirwootalot123 »

For those who haven't heard yet, there was a shooting at Virginia Tech that killed 33 people today, and wounded dozens.
Majra, A long-standing honorary member who I grew very close to over my time at TR, is a student there - and I have yet to find out how he's doing. I'm praying that fate spared him from this horrible tragedy...
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Majra's fine, he's waiting for folks he knows at Virginia Tech to contact him. No worries :-D

(He's an alumni of VT as of '05, btw - He lives in DC atm, IIRC)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
NEENJA
Developer

Post by NEENJA »

Geez! That's a lot of people. I wonder what happened. Was it a Coumbine kind of thing?

--the NEENJA
"Beware, woman! Go away from here--go away, now, or it will be the worse for you. I am an unprotected male, but I will preserve my honor at the peril of my life!"

~Mark Twain
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Pretty much Neenja.

They should ban all guns in America like they did here...
can't see it happening anytime soon though.
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Soon enough someone will blame GTA and other violent games... you wait and see... specially that lawyer Thompson(sp?)...

This is really sad, specially to all the families that lost their sons and daughters in a crazy way like this... after all at a school we are suposed to be safe right... What have someone in their mind that leads him to do something like this... really really sad.
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Is anyone else shocked that the shooter isnt white? I dont mean to sound racist- but this kind of thing always seems to be a caucasian thing.

He's got such a non-thretening look- I cant imagine seing him with a gun in his hands killing incent people for no reason.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

You, me, everyone can snap on a certain point. If you cant reach a weapon you cant do any harm to other people. Thats why i wonder why they still dont want to restrict weapon use in the USA. Even if you save one life with it, it will be worth it.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

I don't want to turn this into a debate, but in response to Orix and theviking...
Criminals typically don't acquire firearms through legal channels. Restricting guns will be a VERY minor hindrance to outlaws, but a very major hindrance to law-abiding citizens who wish to (and have a right to) defend themselves, their families, and their property.

Now that that's out of the way, thankfully the people I know at VA Tech are safe but one of them lost a friend :( My heart and prayers go out to those who have lost loved ones.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

This person acquired his gun through legal channels.

Its a fact that when guns were banned in the UK, gun crimes went down. By making it harder to get guns by taking them out of the market almost altogether, then you save lives. They are still available for sports and hunting, via the proper licences. This isn't the wild west anymore. A dog and a decent lock is all you need to defend yourself, your family and your property.

The major hinderance of outlawing guns is that it means that only outlaws would carry guns...which makes them easier to spot, and easier to punish.

Then again, all criminals find a weapon. We have a big 'knife culture' now.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Up here in Canada, we have a National Gun Registry that puts all legally acquired firearms under a national registry. Each gun is tagged before sale. Whoever buys the gun must be licensed to do so, and his name would appear beside the serial number in the database. That way if he does anything bad with that gun, the feds would know.

Though it has prevented alot of shootings and has made us essentialy "safer", it didn't prevent the shootings in Dawson and Echole Polytechnique.

Even with the strictest gun/crime laws, things like this are bound to happen wherever hate exists in a human heart. Nothing can stop it.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I agree with Swiftoak in that there really isnt anything you can do to stamp these kinds of things out. I also think that these things are going to get much worse in the future.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Jale wrote:Then again, all criminals find a weapon. We have a big 'knife culture' now.
From what I hear, knuckle dusters are popular in Leicester. And a bar below where I used to live had an axe murder and fire in one swoop after some disagreement.

Heck, even if guns were replaced by tranquilliser dart guns, or tazers, or rubber bullets, that would be a start. Obviously too much of those could kill, but, heck, if you need to defend yourself it would be ideal.
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

My school banned hangers because they're potential weapons. Really if you build a wall somebody's going to find a way to get over it. Thats probably one of the world's best taught lessons.

Just ask the Chinese...
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus
Location: That big place next to the smaller place with the tree.

Post by Morgoth »

Tyrion wrote:Really if you build a wall somebody's going to find a way to get over it. Thats probably one of the world's best taught lessons.

Just ask the Chinese...
Or the French. *cough*

(No disrespect meant, Gez. :] )

For the record, the second pistol was apparently illegal. Also, the gunman apparently broke over 16 restriction laws by doing this.

And Swiftoak, that same system is used here. Though less stringently, It seems.

And generally I agree with Tyrion and Swift, this thing has been happening since Cain killed Abel, and though it might be decreased somewhat, people will always find a way to kill if properly motivated. (And unless the government starts hacking off hands, you come equipped with two potential weapons.)
Founder of the Realms of Renth. Please give us a visit!

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4640/sigbannerap7.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

But you never hear about mass stabbings or mass bow shootings.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

I'd be very interested in seeing some statistics on lives saved by legally purchased guns vs lives taken by legally purchased guns in the US. In this "I pulled a gun at the junkie in my yard who was trying to steal my car and he ran away" does not count as "saved the life of my whole family". Neither does "there was this junkie in my house carrying away my stereos so I pulled a gun at him, then he pulled a gun at me and I shot him".

You can't prevent all gun crimes by banning guns, but it sure doesn't help to have guns lying around in every home either. IMO the biggest advantage with banning firearms is that it will eventually change peoples attitude towards them. Allowing firearms for everybody is essentially saying that guns are okay. Over here guns are not okay. It's not something you want to own. The pure thought of using a gun to defend your property sounds ridiculous to most people. Using a gun do save the lives of your family is of course a different matter, but as there are no guns around we don't feel that the lives of our families are threatened.

Instead we also have the "knife culture". The advantage with this is that a knife is easier to outrun and it's in fact quite hard to kill someone by stabbing. Mostly by the time people feel like stabbing folks, they are quite drunk and don't have the required surgical precision. We actually had a mass stabbing when some drunk guy decided to start stabbing random bypassers in the street a couple of years ago, but iirc there were no deaths.
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

even with the gun control over here in the uk it doesnt hinder violent crimes... about 8 years ago a man walked into a primary (5-10 year olds) school with a machette and went nuts. if people are going to cause harm to others, then its essentially unstopable, even with the strictest laws...

Firearms are surely a vaild means to defend ones home and property but on the other hand, we're all forgetting that regardless of gun control and registry it, people who chose to harm others will always be able to obtain a deadly weapon be it knife, gun, chainsaw or explosive. in conclusion, we all know that guns dont kill people... its the people that kill people
On a concrete cross you fall
Both a martyr to your cause and mine

[url=http://angelus6.110mb.com/3dMaxGallery.html][img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3307/newsig01zv0.jpg[/img][/url]
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

You know what amazes me? This is the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history, with 32 dead. That being said, we are fucking armed. I struggle to figure out why our deadliest shooting hasn't left hundreds dead.
Now, let's not let this devolve into a gun control thingy. Politic-speak isn't allowed, mostly because the majority of us don't know what we're talking about.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
NEENJA
Developer

Post by NEENJA »

I'm not meaning to turn this into a debate, but I just want to point out that one of the citizens' rights in our Bill of Rights is the right to bare arms. For those of you who don't know, the Bill of Rights states what our basic rights are. If a law goes against the Bill of Rights, (as would making firearms illegal) there would be hell to pay for the government, as it would in effect put our whole nation our of equilibrium. The kind of thing said would be "if they take away our guns, couldn't they take away our freedom of speech?" Cause both those items are on the same level in our Bill of Rights.

--the NEENJA
"Beware, woman! Go away from here--go away, now, or it will be the worse for you. I am an unprotected male, but I will preserve my honor at the peril of my life!"

~Mark Twain
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Please don't discuss politics here; it all ends in tears.

-Starcrunch
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Huzzah
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

i swear thats in the forum rules somewhere, no religeous or political discussion..... maybe

[url=http://angelus6.110mb.com/3dMaxGallery.html][img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3307/newsig01zv0.jpg[/img][/url]
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to walk down the street and buy a gun. Alas, I'll never know. Guess I'll just stick to airsoft.

That was a pretty nasty shooting... but you have to admit he had his shit together a little more then your average suicidal rampage man. The guy at Dawson college in Montreal had an assault rifle and only one person was killed. (thank god, since it could have been much worse). He walked down the street with his gun out and went into the building where he just started shooting. The Montreal city cops ran straight in and shot him without hesitation (using their 9mm pistols)... as they've been trained to do.

This VT guy had two pistols.. a Glock ala Counterstrike terrorist.. and a 22 caliber pistol.. plus a 50 round clip. And to make it worse he chained the building doors from the inside and padlocked them.. trapping his victims inside. Shows quite a bit of nasty premeditation.
sapien

Post by sapien »

Banning guns isnt gonna be an easy step , especially with the NRA holding rallies all the time , look at collumbine when that happened the NRA held a rally in the same town like a couple days after the shootings.

Its really sickening , america has the highest gun crime rate of any country , The UK was sensible when dunblane happened we banned guns , even owning one for your work "gamekeepers" requires alot of applications and red tape to own it .

Although there is still some gun crime in the uk in london and various areas , they are almost neglible.

The police always have those amnesty days and thousands of weapons turn up at police stations and are destroyed.

America needs to lose their gun laws , and stop being so paranoid , and defensive.

When those shootings happen everyone is quick to blame anything from rock music to the parents , when simply its the righ to bare arms thats at fault .

amend the amendment to the amendment !
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

If someone wants to kill, he'll kill. Ban kitchen knives if you want to, it'll make no real difference since a pen can be as lethal as a knife. Plus, I think we're all mislead. The point here isn't to try and figure out what to do with all the firepower that's freely available, the point is to see that an average person took a gun and blasted away 40 kilos of brain mass. I don't think that every kid that started shooting people in the US or anywhere else had a condition. I believe though that they were affected by their environment and some simple thoughts like; "will I ever have time to live my life?"

I know I wanted to kill today. I was so pissed off with that bitch I would tear her scull apart and still smiled. But it wouldn't be my fault, nor would it be hers. Honestly, it would be because of the way we're taught to think and view things. And that's the bottom line of the Virginia shootout imo.

P.S. Don't kill. You'll only make the media and local shrinks wealthier.
angelus6
Reviewer

Post by angelus6 »

here here :)

Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

One more post about gun controll and I'm locking this.
baevermannen

Post by baevermannen »

I heard that on the news that this massacre-guy think he was like Jesus or something
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

As a student of a technical university I can understand where he was coming from, as they tend to be high-stress environments. I don't quite understand, however, how you can take an English Major in a TU.

Guns are the enchanted weapons of Earth...
baevermannen wrote:I heard that on the news that this massacre-guy think he was like ***** or something
More like the Nerevarine who got bored after finishing the Main Quest.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

He did some messianic coments. But they, along with the rest of his manifesto didnt make sense. I'm suprized that this guy got into a competative school with such terrible writing skills. Dude, just because you repeate stuff like "I've been crucified" "You've torched my soul" and "You hedonistic ritch kids" dosent make your writing profound. In fact, it just makes it repetative emo bullshit.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Tragedy.

The Second Amendment is rooted in the idea that a government occasionally needs to be overthrown.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
NeoKatoth

Post by NeoKatoth »

that guy was a nut plain and simple...i just wonder why they let him out of the mental hospital....seriously...
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

NeoKatoth wrote:that guy was a nut plain and simple...i just wonder why they let him out of the mental hospital....seriously...
I agree. From what I read, it was because he displayed "clear judgement" at the time.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

They actually did take him to the school counceling, and he was under court order to see a psychiatrist...apparently the parents didn't comply. A quick prescription for 40mg of prozac a day would have probably been sufficient to prevent this kind of thing.

The problem is distinguishing people who will go off and kill people and those with problems who won't.

My entire Jr. High thought I was going to go on a columbine rampage after it happened because I was always picked on, and I played these "murder simulators" tv news loves to demonize. I fit their, and this guy's profile exactly, yet I'm completely stable and wouldn't even imagine doing something like this. So how do you differentiate between me and one of these violent psychos?

As for guns. Guns don't kill people, blood loss from holes in vital organs kill people.

EDIT: HAHAHAHA apparently the forum code thinks I'm an add bot because I mentioned prescribing a common medicine! Again showing the biggest underlying problem with any security measure, the false positive
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The word prescription (I assume that's what it was, may be a different one) was used maybe once or twice in the history of this board except for the spam bots :-)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

Been hearing abut aprts of this all week, but never actual realised it was recent. Terrible.

Neenja thats just crap, the Bill of Rights was written virtually at the start of the 1800's, 1790 or nearby. Times have changed significantly, the ammendmants need to adopt to this new world.

Anyway, like a kind of resounding point, if people have the will they'll find a way. It's just a shame so many people are so determined to get there.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

The first sign of intelligence is the ability to follow directions.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.