wogya's music

Place where the game's audio assets are produced.

Moderators: Gesshoku, Lead Developers

wogya
Developer

wogya's music

Post by wogya »

I guess this is about time... Finally got a piece together. This is my take at an explore track á la Jeremy Soule. I'm afraid it's not very Arabic an I'm not really sure if it fits the rest of the sountrack we have for HF so far. It's just what I got inspired to write after listening through the original Oblivion soundtrack. Next time I'll listen to some Macar instead of Soule before I start composing. :)

http://media.putfile.com/TRExplore-1

As you can see, I'm also really crappy at naming my pieces. Suggestions for a name are welcome. Other suggestions about the piece are of course also welcome.

I'm not really sure about the last 35 seconds, I might want to change that. Unfortunately, it's back to school and RL tomorrow and I cannot really tell when I'll have time to do some more composing for TR.
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

This sounds like it would fit fine for Hammerfell to me - It's nice to have tracks that fit well with the vanilla OB soundtrack and ease the flow over into Hammerfell - You could have told me this was by Jeremy Soule and I would have believed you.

Macar really does have the Hammerfell "flavour" down well - I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with with after a Macar inspiration session :)
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Wow, definately Jeremy Soule! It sounds wonderfull, very exciting. And I'd say it does have a HFish sound to it actualy. Especialy around the begining. It's really harmonicaly interesting- I really like the dynamic contrast too.

Actualy, I think the biggest impedament to it "fitting" is that is sounds so good!
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That sounds amazing :-) Props to you wogya
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Thank you all for your feedback! I'm really glad you liked it! You're right Macar, the beginning is quite HF, that's of course what I planned to do. Then the first hyperromantic cinematic melody that came to my mind made me stray away from my original plans. (Don't tell my composition teacher that I started to write a piece before I had the entire structure mapped out...)

Anyway, if it fits in Hammerfell, then I'm of course delighted! :]
Zimpa Motonoke

Post by Zimpa Motonoke »

i'm not a music, i guess you could just say person, but i thought this piece was wonderful. ummm... it might be a little distracting towards the middle, but if you changed the level of sound, it would be excellant as adventure music.
The important thing is...I'm meeting new people!- the uberly famous Dr. Zoidberg
Small Porgies
Developer

Post by Small Porgies »

I absolutely love it! The harmonies are superb and all the ideas are wonderful. My only criticism, and this is purely constructive so don't take it the wrong way ;), is that once you build up to a section with more movement, for example about halfway through the piece the change from the percussive build-up is nice, but it looses the momentum... Maybe keep something rhythmic going beneath the strings? I want to here more! :D
Stop touching me! - Xzar
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

I would love to compliment or critic, but unfortunately putfile doesn't work for me. If you wouldn't mind pming me the sib. file I'd be delited to comment :)
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Sorry, no sib file. This was made in Cubase. (Do you still think cubase sucks?) But I can upload the mp3 here if other people also have problems with putfile.
Attachments
Soulescape.rar
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 126 times
Last edited by wogya on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

I was only joking about cubase sucking ;)

Sure, upload the file - I can't wait to hear it :)

EDIT: My internet is bitching on me now. I'll try to download tomorrow, it ain't working now :( -- thats why it says its been downloaded nine times; I tried 5 times.

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

I've updated the file attached to my post above (old version still on putfile). Only a few minor changes, changed one harmony, removed one note and added another... that's about it. Then I've added some compression to even out the peaks and raised the overall sound level to fit the rest of the music in OB.

I also have this other idea that I showed Macar quite a while ago. Thought I'd ask other peoples opinions on it as well. It's something that could be used for Quagmire, in particular if you are going to use any of those drowning nightmares that have been discussed. At first I thought this could be too far fetched, but then I heard the OB dungeon tracks and realized that they also rely quite heavily on odd noices with abnormally long reverb.

This track is only a sample of the sounds available. 1st minute is mostly high pitched sounds, second has some quite cool lower pitched sounds and the last has some, ehm... don't really know how to describe it, but you can hear for yourself. I made this in real-time by "playing" a reverb effect on a recorded fountain in Ableton Live, I can easily make another in a couple of minutes with any kinds of effects desired. These sounds could of course also be used in combination with some real instruments, which would be quite close to how the original dungeon tracks are made.
Last edited by wogya on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

As I said before, I'd love to see that used in a water one- I've never heard water be so scary. I dont know if there is a water nightmare though- does anyone know? Anyone?
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

I'm currently attending a course in film scoring. This week we were asked to make some music to imaginary films. I now realize that part of one of the tracks I made could be a good base for developing a TR dungeon track. This is still very WIP, I just cut of the ending from my original version (it wasn't very dungeonish). What do you think, is this the atmosphere we're looking for?

For some reason the Ob dungeon tracks are very short, do you want it that way? In that case I'd need to get to the nice chords a lot earlier...

Putfile: http://media.putfile.com/TR-Dungeon

Also adding a rar for Jedak. Btw. I changed all my previously posted mp3s to rars if that helps you download them.

wogya

PS. Sorry I haven't been able to comment on the other music posted here recently,once again I have too many different projects going on... I'll try to give some comments soon.
Attachments
Dungeon.rar
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 99 times
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

Thank You Wogya!

In ob dungeon tracks are really short so that the atmosphere is more ambient - not too much variety.
But I made a dungeon track (Still) which goes for more than three minutes and it sounds ambient throught, so it just depends on how you write it :P

Have fun in your course :)

EDIT: I have had a listen to all of them and firstly -

- I love you Wogya! -

- secondly:

Soulscape - Its really nice, if I'm being realllly picky I'll have to say it sounds just a little like night music; Its the creepyish bits. I think it is a worthy candidate for Goldmoor-but we maybe leave it for the Corten mount or Helkori Plains ;)

Oh, and you can get rid of the fade at the end - the game automatically crossfades pieces.

Water - I would have no objection for this being a dungeon track. I remember a week ago while playing Oblivion I stumbled across a very damp cave which for the most part was waist-heigt water but it had submerged places as well. It immediately sprang into my mind when I listened to this. I think it is a perfect match for the watery cave :) its very ambient.

Dungeon - this would be perfect without the build-up at the end. A small edit should suffice ;)

I can't wait to hear more from you, Wogya.

:D

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Thank you for the comments Jedak! You say Oblivion does automatical fades... that explains why the beginning of the piece sounded so strange when I tried it in the game. Requires editing to account for the fade. Btw. It's Soulescape, as the piece was sort of a Jeremy Soule pastiche.

I don't think the water track can be used for regular dungeon music, would be very odd to hear that music in an Ayleid ruin. But for specific watery locations, especially in Quagmire, I think it would work well.
Jedak wrote:Dungeon - this would be perfect without the build-up at the end.
Wha? But those two chords are the best two chords I've ever written... Do you really want me to brutally slay my darlings!!?? ;)

Actually I was thinking of continuing the piece, preserving the ambient feel. The chords were the beginning of a build up in the "film music" version I made, but they would not lead to a build up in this version. I should remove the crescendo towards the second chord though. If they are played just as sustained chords with shifting timbre, without any increase in volume, I don't think they would feel like a build-up.

wogya
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Perfect- seems like good quagmire music- but it would work for any dungeon.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

In an Ayleid Ruin, yes, it would sound wierd. But for the dungeon I described - perfect.
Smart Wogya wrote:I should remove the crescendo towards the second chord though. If they are played just as sustained chords with shifting timbre, without any increase in volume, I don't think they would feel like a build-up.
I agree - a better suggestion than mine. I was just thinking it sounded to 'filmy' ;)

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Santa came early this year and brought me a new toy, the EWQL Gold orchestra! :D Decided to test it on my old battletrack from my showcase, that one needed to be redone anyway. This was my first attempt at using the orchestra, I'll probably want to go back and fix some things once I've uncovered the deeper secrets of the samples. As we discussed, this could potentially be a battle track for some of the remaining MW maps.

http://media.putfile.com/TR-Battle-v2
(rar for Jedak attached)

I have some spare time until friday, could try to come up with something new also. Anything in particular you need at the moment?
Attachments
Battle v2.rar
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
Last edited by wogya on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

I think we'll be sending all our scores to Wogya to record now :D

Great stuff. I haven't heard that one before. I really like how you impliment the main morrowind/TR theme into it.

Oh and you do know how to use your brass, thats for sure ;)

If I was forced to critisise, I would say it sounds too much like a movie soundtrack, but otherwise its great.

If Macar could give me the thumbs up I'll send you some of my scores (namely Harbour Life, Nedic Roads, Still and maybe The Rush) for you to record.

And what we need done is 1 explore, 4 town and 5 (unless still is included) dungeon tracks. For the explore, I would advise you try to mix all our styles if you wish to do it.

Good work Wogya! :)

Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Brilliant! I'm going to insist that this is included. Good to see you again. If you are looking to contribute something else, we're still on the same two things we were the last time you came around- Goldmoor and Quagmire. We have several tracks in the pot already for explore, but only one town and none for dungeon. (I'm starting to have second thoughts about having specific music for Goldmoor dungeons- I think it might be wise to just make some additional dungeon music tracks to add to the game. Any thoughts?)

And Jedak, you dont need my go-ahead, but make sure Wogya is interested first- what he's doing is more than just plugging midi files into a different soundset- it takes a little more effort than what you and I do- so make sure he's up for it before you throw scores at him.
wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Heh, you're right, it's not quite as simple as putting a score into Sib and pressing play... I probably spent more time creating this rendition than I spent composing the whole piece in the first place. But much of that time I spent getting to know the different articulation samples. Once I have a good template set up and know the orchestra, it should be a lot faster. I might be able to make some rerecordings of your stuff then, but it will have to wait until later.

I'll be playing around with the orchestra for the next few days. Let's see what happens, maybe it evolves in the direction of HF dungeon/public/battle music.

Btw. If you have extra money and want some quality samples, they have crazy sales going on at soundsonline.com. This orchestra currently sells at 299€ ($445). But beware, it's a memory munching monster. 4GB (or 3,5 as windows sees it) wasn't enough to handle the battletrack, had to split it up in smaller parts. And of course, you need a sequencer also.

[Edit: I adjusted the levels a bit and uploaded the new version to the post above and on putfile.]
evergrey
Developer

Post by evergrey »

Damn, your stuff is very impressive. Heh, y'all have the music covered already. I'll go do more concept art. ;)
N'WAH 4 LIFE!
wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Thanks evergrey, glad you liked it! :]

Something for Quagmire?
http://media.putfile.com/VaerminasLullaby
Attachments
Vaermina's lullaby.rar
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 106 times
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Hey, you stole my title! Otherwise, I'd say this is just the sort of thing we need- and I'd call it approved.

Now, this assuming we have a way to do quagmire music... :(
wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Oops.. sorry, didn't know you had reserved that title... :roll:

If it's gonna be used, I should probably make it a bit longer and fix the ending. Not a problem, now when I know how to create that stuff I can make more quite fast.

Quagmire music isn't a problem to script. As it will probably be in it's own worldspace, it should work just fine. Just set the music type of all cells to dungeon, then StreamMusic works, and if it for some reason doesn't, you get dungeon music instead, which isn't a dissaster. Only problem will be that if some nightmare is dividen into several different interior or dungeon cells, then music will have to restart when the player moves between the cells. Perhaps this should be taken into account when the world is created...
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

Sorry for the late reply! Wogya you amaze me again. You are definately one to look up to :)

I'm just wondering how did you make it? Did you mix specific recordings together?

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Actually it's all just the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterphone]Waterphone[/url] sample from my EWQL library. I first recorded random soundeffects with that instrument, then used some effects to remove most pitches and turn it into this windy noise kind of thing, then I reversed it, slowed it down to about 2/3 of the speed (which also lowers the pitch one fifth) and finally added some heavy reverb, twice.

Adding the unedited waterphone recording below, in case your interested in hearing that. Hmm... the original is just as long as the edited one... I must have speeded it up by 50% at some point before slowing it down. Well, that's how I make these things, just play around in wavelab until I find a sound I like, apparently not always remembering exactly what I've done. My upgrade to wavelab 6 is in the mail and should arrive any day now, then I get some more fun tools to create even more wacky soundscapes! :D
Attachments
Waterphone.rar
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 135 times
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

Woa! I wish I had your sound libraries :O Amazing... I can't wait to hear more

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

And finally, vacation!! :banana: :banana:

Right now I have a couple of days to spare before I'm leaving town for a while. Thought I should use these days well and do some work for TR! :) As the last couple of weeks have been a constant race against various composition deadlines, I don't know if I have enough creative energy left to compose something new within the next days, but if there are some old tracks that need remaking with better samples, I could give it a shot. Any suggestions? Midi files are of course required...
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Great to hear that you're going to be around. Sadly I cant think of any peices that need remakes- let me know if any of mine jump out at you- as I have all the midi files fot them- but I dont know if we could get anyone elses.
wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

I knew it was too good to be true! My vacation came to an abrupt end yesterday when I got another orchestration gig. I'll be back in a couple of weeks...
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Way to get our hopes up :(

Good luck on the gig :)