Hammerfellian Mages Guilds

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Rhymer
Developer

Hammerfellian Mages Guilds

Post by Rhymer »

Hello. I’m sorry for my prolonged absence: my work left me no time for anything else. But finally I’ve managed to find a spare minute to recollect the wonderful game called REDGUARD. The Mages Guild of Stros M’Kai draw my particular attention: the matter is that it is very unlike the Mages Guild of Sentinel. While in Sentinel it was a big, magnificent and completely foreign building (I mean that it was built in style of High Rock architecture), the Mages Guild of Stros M’Kai is much smaller. It looks more like a shop than like a place of studying arcane mysterys. Although it is still typically bretonic building some traces of Hammerfellian style can be found. E.g., while the whole building is made of classical green boulders, the towers are made of local red granite and limestone. The shape of the roof of the Guild master’s room is completely Hammerfellian. So, I’ve made this sketch and I’m going to draw the MG of Sentinel in a day or so. If you have any ideas concerning Guild halls of MGs in Hammerfell, please tell me, and I’ll try to make sketches and models.
Attachments
This picture is not an exact copy of the building from REDGUARD but it is as close to the original as possible.
This picture is not an exact copy of the building from REDGUARD but it is as close to the original as possible.
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

This is VERY useful Rhymer. I'd love to see the Sentinel MG.
Rhymer
Developer

Post by Rhymer »

This is the MG of Sentinel as it was represented in TES2: DAGGERFALL. The building is designed in the bretonic style with its strict lines and green stones. It could be easily found among the buildings of Hammerfelian style, and not only due to its size but also due to the impression it makes. It is completely alien to the culture of redguards, though the guild has a significant influence in Sentinel.
Attachments
Sentinel MG.jpg
Harke the Apostle
Developer

I think the Oblivion Anvil Mages Guild is what Bethesda made out of the Redguard concept.

As for Sentinel, if I understand [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16343&start=0]the first post in this thread[/url] correctly, the Mages Guild is not planned to be present in Sentinel at this time. Nonetheless, your concept could still be useful.

Do bear in mind that Redguard's meshes are MUCH lower in polycount than Oblivion's meshes. In order to make this a modelable concept, you may want to add more detail. (See El Scumbago's architecture for inspiration).

Also, what is inside the Guilds? Would you draw that?
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Harke the Apostle wrote:As for Sentinel, if I understand [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16343&start=0]the first post in this thread[/url] correctly, the Mages Guild is not planned to be present in Sentinel at this time.
This would make me a sad panda.
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Gez wrote: This would make me a sad panda.
Why? Do you wear emo eye-shadow?

Hammerfell already has those Unsung Yokuhi people, who follow in the footsteps of Makela Leki and Svelte Cecil.
Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lutemoth »

I remember trying to make my way through that Mages guild in Sentinel. Confusing as hell, lemme tell you. Then again, anything's hard to navigate in close-quarter 2.5D. These are quite lovely, either way :)
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Gez wrote:
Harke the Apostle wrote:As for Sentinel, if I understand [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16343&start=0]the first post in this thread[/url] correctly, the Mages Guild is not planned to be present in Sentinel at this time.
This would make me a sad panda.
Me too. I'm not sure how Harke is interpreting that post, seeing as it doesn't say where the Mages Guild will be, but I'll end the suspense and tell you: Taneth, Rihad, Sentinel, Skaven, Stros M'kai, and Gilane.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I think he was interpreting it as white on the table meaning it was opted out of the respective city.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I imagine so, seeing as how that's what it means.

But wait, the Mage's Guild isn't on that table.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The mages tab I mean. "Archaeology" and "Mage Warz"
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Harke the Apostle
Developer

I stand corrected.
[edit] and yes, Haplo, that was exactly what I meant.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Haplo wrote:The mages tab I mean. "Archaeology" and "Mage Warz"
I'm aware. You'll notice, though, that in the lists above, these are both seperate from "Mage's Guild," and "Mage's Guild" itself is not on the chart, because it does not have quests.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Lutemoth wrote:I remember trying to make my way through that Mages guild in Sentinel. Confusing as hell, lemme tell you. Then again, anything's hard to navigate in close-quarter 2.5D. These are quite lovely, either way :)
Pet peeve of mine: Daggerfall was not in 2.5D, but in full 3D. 2.5D is for things with a faked out 3D, like in good ol' Doom (2D map with elevations).

Some people argue that Daggerfall wasn't true 3D because it used sprites, but I dismiss this as uneducated and irrelevant. :D What matters for 3D-ness is how it's managed by the engine. Oblivion uses sprites, too, and nobody's going around saying it's 2.5D. :]

Daggerfall was so 3D that its automap was in 3D too. Only other games I know with a 3D map for interiors was Descent and its sequels.
Rhymer
Developer

Post by Rhymer »

This is a screenshot from REDGUARD. It shows you an interior of the MG of Stros M'Kai. Speaking about the function of MG on the isle I want to pay your particular attention to the fact that it plays very insignificant role here, namely: it sells poitions, spells and enchanted items, and it works on some special aspects of arcane arts. So, as Sload has already mentioned, it doesn't have any particular storyline or quest connected with it.

In a day or so I'll try to finish some interior sketches and a scheme of MG of Sentinel.
Attachments
magesguild.jpg
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Offtopic: How i miss this game... it was what introduced me to the elder scrols world...
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
Rhymer
Developer

Post by Rhymer »

Here is a scheme of MG of Sentinel as I’ve promised. I also offer you some items such as a shelf with potions and stone lion’s head which is widely used in all the MGs of western provinces as a decoration. It also can be used as a chandelier or a lamp if you decide to put a candle inside its mouth.
Attachments
MG_Int.jpg
MG2floor.jpg
MG1floor.jpg
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Wow, nice. How about modelling some of these, or some of the claims that are aviable now? :)
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?
PoHa: I know! we'll shoot an Aro at them
Aro: you have only one Aro missile!
PoHa: yes, but its heat seeking and quite possibly indestructible

How to do not become a modeller - by Stryker:
[00:13:]Stryker: no tutorial, no no no