Stirk Voice Acting - Auditions

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Stirk Voice Acting - Auditions

Post by Gesshoku »

We are not taking auditions!

Voice work is extremely low priority, and will not be added unless someone is willing to handle all the technical stuff.

This is where I would like everyone to post their Voice Acting Auditions. I realize many of you have auditioned in the past, but because of a change in management, and a lack of motivation many of you have left, or just plain lost interest.

I have taken the time to download all of the old audition files, so we still have them. But I ask, unless you are one that I contacted personally, that you post your auditions here again. This way I know who is still interested and who is new to us.

I would also like to point out that feedback is very much appreciated for everyones auditions, so feel free to let them know how they did.

Here is a list of the NPCs that we need auditions for:

IMPERIAL
Female -
Male -

NORD/ORC
Female -
Male -

REDGUARD
Female -
Male -

BRETON
Male - Orix
Female -

HIGH ELF
Male -
Female -

DARK ELF
Male -
Female -

WOOD ELF
Male -
Female -

KHAJHIIT/ARGONIAN
Male - kyletamarane
Female - kyletamarane

VAMPIRE
Male -
Female -

MAGRUE:

ORANDOS:

Vaenima Daedra:

Again I realize many of you have already auditioned, but please I ask that you repost the files so we know who is active and who is not. Thank you.

Graff's Tips for Audio recording quality.
((Thank you Graff, these are excellent tips))

1. Find out what type of Microphone you are using, Unidirectional, Monodirectional, etc. Monodirectional microphones should be placed about 4 inches away from your mouth, pointing directly at your mouth. Unidirectional microphones are better to use, as you can circumvent the "pop" problem that comes when voicing plosives. Angle the mic about 25 degrees from your mouth, at about 5-6 inches distance.

2. If you're using a monodirectional microphone, try and find a pop-shield, or if you can't get one, one can be improvised from the cloth and wood front of a speaker cabinet, or made in the same way. Graff Improvisation Advice - You need a fine mesh cloth, similar to net curtains, but finer, perhaps use cross-stitch cloth, pulled across a wooden frame, not completely taut, but so there is a slight amount of slack This need to be positioned between your mouth and the microphone, preferably held up so it doesn't want. Use a clamp to attach to your microphone stand.

3. Yes, a microphone stand, don't hold the microphone when you're recording your voice, that's exclusively for rock stars on stage, and most mics will end up crackling when you move the lead or the microphone.

4. Ideally, if you are thinking of contributing in a major way to sound recording, splash out on a decent microphone, I use my wharfedale compression mics for most recording purposes, and picked up three for £40/$80, plus some XLR to Jack leads for another £20. If you know where to look (ideally small guitar/music shops, rather than chain stores), you can make a real bargain, and have a much improved recording capability.

5. Don't mumble into the microphone, always clear your throat beforehand, and make sure you're mouth isn't full of spit. You can always turn down the volume afterwards, but mumbling doesn't make for good dialogue.

Attached is a file with lines from each race for you to read for your audition.

I have also attached a file with Original OB Beth voices so you can get an idea of how they sounded.
Last edited by Gesshoku on Wed May 28, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Dave
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Here is my audition for male voice actor, this is a scratch take; i didnt practice or prepare haha. i left the track unedited as requested. let me know if you have any use for me. Keep up the good work!
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Here are my old files for Magrue and Orandos. Sometime later in the next week or so I'll have a new take up for Orandos (and perhaps Magrue as well if I can top the old file; I forgot what post-processing I did, but I really like it). I know I haven't been on in ages, but I've been re-sucked into oblivion recently and feel like re-entering my modding seat. :)
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gesshoku »

Give me 24 hours to get back to you in PM
--Dave
Astion
Developer

Post by Astion »

Okay. Here we go again.

I have had some experience with voice acting in the past. I showcased my other samples in [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19798&sid=a4637df088a4c8e55813a6465937c1cf]this[/url] thread, containing recordings of three of the four speakers in Where Were You When The Dragon Broke In addition, I have attached another sample to this post to complete the set.

I would still be happy to help out... but I must say, this is quite confusing. I submitted my samples several months ago, and received some interest and positive feedback, but nothing since.

It would be nice to be updated on what's going on...[/url]
[img]http://www.maj.com/gallery/Astion/TheElderScrolls/Astion/sigbanner.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=785017]The Dragon Break[/url] - an in-depth, lore-based quest mod for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Astion wrote:I submitted my samples several months ago, and received some interest and positive feedback, but nothing since.
Think of TR as the Apocrypha of modding sites. :P Eventually someone will come along but sometimes it can take a while.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Gnomey wrote:Think of TR as the Apocrypha of modding sites. :P Eventually someone will come along but sometimes it can take a while.
what are you on about gnomey? The reason there was no feedback was because there was no one really leading the department until Gesshoku re-appeared and took the helm.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Yeah, and now he's here but very busy. The other people on the Sound and Music might also give some feedback but they seem to be very busy too with RL and/or other parts of the projects. Just like the ghosts in Apocrypha are busy with other parts of the library. :P
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Well, as I said before. Astion's voice is brilliant,and could easily be used for Bretons and some imperial characters.

The problem is that all I can do is aprove peoples VAing- I cant give them any more lines to record or update them on the status of the implimentation. I'm in the same boat- I recorded all of the Redguard dialogue for Stirk and submitted it- now what?

The problem with VA is the same problem we always have with SM- we can do our things a lot more quickly than the rest of the project progresses- but the music, sound, and acting all need to know what they're there for before they can be done- so we basicaly have to do a lot of waiting.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

but all dialog for stirk has already been written from what I understand. All that needs doing is VA implimentation and quest fixing IIRC.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gesshoku »

This is something I need to look into. As for final dialogue I need to talk to Orix, he had some spread sheets I ran across of tons of dialogue, but I am unsure if it's final or not. I will send him an email and talk to him about it. As for the Auditions I would rather keep this thread as clean as possible so check your PM's.

--Dave

P.S. If you know anything about Orix' spreadsheet and it's validity let me know.
--Dave
kyletamarane
Developer

My audition - all zipped up

Post by kyletamarane »

Hope no-one is pissed off how I uploaded my files! Stupid me, I should have remembered to ZIP them. Well, here they are.
Kyle Tamarane - my first (Redguard) character in Oblivion
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

If that's all of them in that *.rar, I can delete those other posts if you'd like me too. :)
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
kyletamarane
Developer

Yeah that's fine

Post by kyletamarane »

Okay cool. No problem.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

The female argonian is perfect! That's totaly awesome, since female VAs are hard to come by in our community!
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gesshoku »

HOLY CRAP! I don't think we are going to get a better female Argonian than that!! that is awesome! Perfect! Nice! WOW! lol...yeah..
--Dave
kyletamarane
Developer

Cool - female VA....

Post by kyletamarane »

I didn't know what to think of my 'female' Argonian voice lol. I really modulated my voice for that one! I'm a guy though :)

Were the Redguards good? How about the Imperial priest, the Khajiits? :)
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Please dont double post unless you are adding new information that might be otherwise missed- I edited it for you. Anyway- I still think that you are the only other redguard candidate (other than myself) and that we'll probably split up the characters- I'd like to know what Ges thinks. As for the imperial priest, I'm a little torm between you and Astion. I'm not sure- but I did like your captain philo.
TagDaze

Post by TagDaze »

At the time, I got hired in advance and I am still interested. Attached are the original auditions, but I think I will redo them. My [url=http://bnpmall.com/mart7/upload/mall/precisionheadset1.jpg]current microphone[/url] died, and I've ordered [url=http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/G-Track-beauty.jpg]a new one[/url].

Expect new stuff next week.

As for Argonians, I recommend you look up a VA named Aramek. We were both VAs for the Fight For Castle Ravenpride mod and he does an AWESOME Argonian. Check out [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=eMMDn05eeVc]this video[/url]. He's the narrator in the beginning of the clip and the Argonian at 1:28. (I am, by the way, the blonde guy right after that. ;))
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hey TagDaze, your initial uploads were decent. Do you have those do-over files?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gesshoku »

Bump.

The need for VA's is still great guys. If you have or know any friends interested send em our way. I've been giving out assignments and scripts so now is the time to Audition if you've been thinking about it!!!!
--Dave
Skillgannon

Post by Skillgannon »

Well I'm extremely interested in voice acting, I'm always practicing and messing around. My friends say I'm pretty good. I do things from films mostly like Christian Bale's Batman :D, oh and I incessantly do the Uriel Septim (Patrick Stewart) voice from when you leave the game on the start screen to long.
But still I'm not sure what to do. I've got Nero and I've got a crappy mike and I'm not sure what all the people sound like exactly. I guess I'm just nervous but if you want I'll try some stuff.
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Go for it!

Sounds can be cleared up to a degree, just try to get a quiet environment, and speak clearly.

Good luck ;)
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
gormanilius
Developer

Post by gormanilius »

Astion you make a great imperial, just listened to what was on the other thread.
kyletamarane
Developer

You got that right gormanillius!

Post by kyletamarane »

You got that right gormanillius!

Astion is a pretty valuable asset for doing imp VAs.

:D
Skillgannon

Post by Skillgannon »

The alternate Father Gregorio by kyletamarane is amazing.
kyletamarane
Developer

Thanks Skillgannon!

Post by kyletamarane »

Thanks Skillgannon!

I appreciate your compliment. I quite like Astion's too, but with my take on it, I tried to make it sound a little more like the original Oblivion voice actor. :D

I can't wait until the dialogue is finally finalised and the voice acting gets underway - it'll probably be a while still because there is a fair amount of quest work, animation work and drawing work to be done on Stirk before VA gets going. This project is getting more and more exciting as more content is released by the team - The final version of Stirk should be fabulous.
smasher701

Voice acting

Post by smasher701 »

Hi I was thinking of doing some voice acting. Is this list updated or not?

I'm kinda nervous. I'll give it a go, cause i'd really like to be involved.

Thanks =)
Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gesshoku »

The list is up to date ^_^ Feel free to have a stab at it.

Don't be too nervous over it, not like you're being judged for a game show with a million dollar prize or anything. Just be natural and let the voices come as they come :) Look forward to hearing your recordings!
--Dave
TagDaze

Post by TagDaze »

Whelp, here are my new line readings. I posted up a couple a long time ago, but here are the new ones, through my new mic. Which I am in love with. If I could carry its babies I would.

As the filename says, it's a simple linereading, so any feedback is welcome. "A little more of this or that" is fine too.

Also, I added a few lines for our happy duo Magrue and Orandos.
skaera75b

Hi.

Post by skaera75b »

I'm new to this, but I was impressed with the Telvanni maps that I've seen. I wonder if I might offer my help.

I'm a qualified sound engineer. I've got a nice valve mic and a Pro Tools setup- basically, professional quality audio hardware. My voice can be quite low if I want it to be. I need to get everything set up, since I've just installed Vista. But I wonder if anything I've said is ov interest?

My email address and MSN Messenger ID are both skaera75b@gmail.com. Let me know if I can help?
kyletamarane
Developer

Checking in

Post by kyletamarane »

Hi all,

Just checking in to let you (Who is head of VA these days????) know that I am still here and ready to do my lines when needed.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

VA is gess, but im not sure how active he is. i would just do those lines now and post them. there is no grantee that they will be included (all this is a mess) but that way they have a much greater chance of getting in.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
kyletamarane
Developer

Darn...

Post by kyletamarane »

Are you kidding me? Geez, I thought the whole Stirk thing was under control :O

So is the actual Stirk release in doubt, or just the voice acting? Am I behind the times here? Has everyone else done their lines except for me, or what?

Hey Lady N, don't get me wrong - I am still very much for TR, but maybe my lack of communication has caused some doubts with you guys as to whether or not I am still 'with it', so to speak?

Please let me know what's going on - I tried PMing Gess but as of yet have recieved no reply.

And I hope you don't think I'm angry at anyone - I am simply wondering what is happening and eager to play my part.

All the best Lady N and thanks for replying,

Kyle T
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Just the voice acting. Stirk is going forward steadily. But its bugfixing is kinda like mountain hiking: you see the summit and think you're nearly there, but then you realize you didn't see the real summit, just a little bump before a flatter surface, the real summit is farther ahead...
Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gesshoku »

Amen kyle... and they all wonder why I feel off the map....
--Dave
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Just seeing if this is something I might can help out with.

Ok, and the attachment is larger than the others, I'm unsure how to convert them into mp3 or something that would help with that.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
kyletamarane
Developer

^_^

Post by kyletamarane »

Hey Gess, no hard feelings mate. Thanks for the heads up on the QA side of things, Gez.

Well, whenever your ready guys, I am still and will always still be here :)

Good luck with QA - sorry I can't really help in that avenue, I know next to jack about bug testing and that,

Kyle T
kyletamarane
Developer

Post by kyletamarane »

Túrelio wrote:I'm unsure how to convert them into mp3 or something that would help with that.
Hey Túrelio, try Googling a program called 'Switch'. It's made by NCH software I think - it's a great little free audio file converter.

Kyle T
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Thanks kyletamarane, I'll look into that. Will only really need it however if he wants me to do more voice work or not, so have to see about that.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]