Taneth arhitecture

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

rob13

Taneth arhitecture

Post by rob13 »

I want to ask (in the begining sorry for my english) Taneth is nearly completed or not? because i saw pictures about taneth, and it looked like half completed, it took before 2008 jul 13 so maybe it is completed.
But I'm sad about it is looks realy similar to rihad arhitecture, and I thnik it is sad, because I red that Taneth destroyed and rebuilt by rihad's ruler's son, but I think it is need to be different not totattaly different , but diferent.
Because in oblivion it is a great think that all of the cities have their own style, and I think in Hammerfell it need to be same(all of the city has own style). So I understood that they have common history, but I think don't need to have a common arhitecture, 'cause it's make the world interesting.
I know it is lot of plus work, but I think it's worth the time to make a really unique new world. And if you didn't finish Taneth I try to help make it unique. But first I need to learn use the CS and the other stuff.
But for the all you guys are awsome.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

It's a LOT of work. Ideally every city would have it's own tileset, but that could well add years to the project. But there are other ways to make cities distinctive.
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Rihad and Taneth use the same meshes, that's a fact. But we are building those cities with completely different ways. Rihad is full of small alleys, passages and stairs somewhere between the buildings (they are placed very dense and disorganized), while Taneth has a lot more free space and regular roads inside the city.
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?
PoHa: I know! we'll shoot an Aro at them
Aro: you have only one Aro missile!
PoHa: yes, but its heat seeking and quite possibly indestructible

How to do not become a modeller - by Stryker:
[00:13:]Stryker: no tutorial, no no no
rob13

Post by rob13 »

I understand that lot of work and add many years, but I think that TR not like a "just do it fastest we can" and for a really great mode worth to wait. So okay it is your project, and I'm just one guy, and one opnion. I understand also that the two cities have common history, I just think that the two cities middle and upper class houses can be different, but if just the upper class houses will be different it will be also very impresive, because it will tell that you are trully in an other city not in Rihad's other part.
Bu anyway I also want to ask, I didn't saw how the whole project look like, I just saw the public videos and screenshoots, so around the cities there will suburb? Because I think it can be more realisic, like one of the Unique Landscapes the Chorrol Hinterland, I don't think that every city need that size of suburb, but I think every city needs his own suburb (1-2 farm, 4-5 house), just an idea
But thanks for the answer, and as soon as I can help I will help anyway.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

modeling a whole new architecture set takes A LOT of time and effort. yes, we are about quality, but we are also about getting stuff done. its been what, 2 years, since the release of oblivion? we are moving at a slow pace as it is, and the only way we can hope to ever release a finished product is to make some compromises. using the same architecture set is one of them.

im guessing you want different architecture sets because that is how oblivion did it. that is however completely unrealistic. look at morrowind: architecture was divided along the lines of cultural and political Great Houses. the real world is similar: architectural style is defined by region, politics, and fashion (later on in our history). it makes sense that the houses built in the south of hammerfell are built specifically for that climate and the houses in the north built for that climate. it does not make sense that two cities, built in approximately the same location, at the same time, exhibit completely different architectural styles.

as i tried to explain in my posts (on BSF and on the blog), Taneth feels very different from Rihad even though they share the same architecture set. Taneth is built along the lines of a cyrodiilic city, with open roads and sidewalks and decorative elements. Rihad is much more crowded, it has lots of little alleyways and tight spaces. Taneth's port is long and laid out along the whole south of the city, Rihad's port is enclosed on the cities interior and is roughly circular in shape. hopefully ill get around to making a video of Taneth soon enough, so the difference will be visible.

Currently, i am creating Taneth. a conservative estimate would put the city at half way fished.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. i hope i have clarified some things. we could always use more help, i look forward to seeing what you can do :)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
rob13

Post by rob13 »

For the realistic part I mean the suburb(yes it is unrealistic if every city have a totally different arhitecture:D). And for the city part that is right that the weather and the culture determine a city. And for the lower class it is stupid think to make different style, and for the middle class don't neod to make, I just think that for the upper class can be different(if start from the realistic every city which can allow built something different, something impresive, it can be also a monument or just for the rich people unique home, which make the city unique)
But yes you right there is the time and I thinking about that you spent 2 years for these and waiting 16 years for a mod can be dificult:D.
So okay I just say it can be really cool, but without it can be also cool.
But for the suburb I don't know that you have this idea before, but if not please thinking about it "I think every city needs his own suburb (1-2 farm, 4-5 house)"
Thank for the answers, and I wish good work(i hope soon i join as a modder)
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

if you take a look at the Rihad screens, we have several buildings situated outside the city walls. Taneth's whole port district is located outside its walls.

i agree that having custom UC houses would be cool, but again, its unrealistic. at the moment we dont have an upper class architecture set at all :( i guess when we make it we can keep one or two houses unique per city, but it once again comes down to the work load. if we had another skilled modeler or two we could do this easily.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Theron Udraer
Developer
Location: my palace in the sky with my own (female) servants who do anything i want them to do...

Post by Theron Udraer »

What? we don't have an upper class tileset? no one ever told me that... to the easel!
if you read my location and thought "woah what a perverted old man!", then you must be a perv yourself. because i never said anything about them being strippers... heheehheehheee

---------------------------------

Claims-

Interior- 4 reviewing
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

more like to the 3Dmobile :P
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
DMKW

Post by DMKW »

I'm sure this has been asked before so sorry LadyN but I can't remember the situation. ..do you plan on using any of the resources from the dessert world space mod?
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/Darkness_Eternal_Oblivion/Desert%20Resources%20Showcase/AerialShot02.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/Darkness_Eternal_Oblivion/Desert%20Resources%20Showcase/Oblivion2008-07-1114-38-20-43.jpg
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=855253&hl=dessert
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Yes, but not all of it. We want the mod to appear unique, so we wont be using all the buildings exclusively (they will appear in at least 3 others mods, probably many more). What we will use will be retextured and combined with our own resource to create a look that is uniquely hammerfell (as opposed to islamic or duusarian, etc.). which specific resources we will use will be decided at a later date (the release of the internal beta for Sands of Destiny at the earliest).
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Kovacius

Post by Kovacius »

Rather than create a whole new tileset for an architectural "variant", wouldn't it make more sense to create a few alternate "trim pieces"? The basic structural elements would be the same, but the details could be distinctively different without a lot of modelling work. The older city would use one type, the newer one would favor the other.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

the trim is the hard part. once you remove the details buildings are essentially just boxes and cylinders piled together.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!