Vampires in Hammerfell

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

personally, i think a clan of yoku vamps would be cool. low on the priority scale, but cool. give some new perspective to the vampire culture, a chance to get out of the stereotype.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
pespespes

Post by pespespes »

How about original vampires in
caves and fort ruins(like those from Cyrodiil)?
human IS an animal!
milne

Post by milne »

they were kind of borig though, just violent people who gave ye a disease...

it would be nicer if there are more varied and different vampire clans. Maybe one that decorates their ruins with bloody corpses, or a none hostile clan that lives in a village underground and only feed on mummies.

just some thoughts:P
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Established vampire clans in Hammerfell sounds well and good, but I'm sure that they would be hunted mercilessly by the Yoku. I've never really seen the Yoku as tolerant of things different than them. So if there were a clan, it would have to occupy one of the large Dwemer ruins in the middle of the province. It would have to be entirely inconvenient for any number of Yoku to go into the ruins. The vampires would come out at night and prey on the merchants and raiders in the area. There might be a quest for the Archeology Guild to go in and clear out the nest before they can set up a base there.

So I could see that develop, but I'm not entirely sure that it fits with the flavor of what TR already has in mind for the region.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

possible compromise idea: The vampires live in the mines (the cave-looking part) of Fang Lair/Kragenfell only. It makes more sense to them, as it wouldn't be (as heavily) defended by centurions; plus I can't imagine mines by themselves (dark rock tunnels! you have TOTALLY never seen this shit before) being very interesting just by mere virtue of having been used by dwemer thousands of years ago.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

I don't think their location is as important as the details of their bloodline.

I'd prefer to finally see a highly religious, highly complex society of vampires who believe the curse can be used as a way to defend the innocent, thereby salvaging their spiritual immortality.

Now that I think of it, perhaps a TES version of Vampire: the Masquerade's Golconda.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

My "uh-oh" alarm always goes off when someone brings up borrowing things from other games, but I like that idea. Hammerfell's residents are a very spiritual people, so it would make sense for the lowest of their citizens to share those beliefs. Another part of me is leaning towards the vampires being "disorganized savages", but that wouldn't be nearly as fun gameplay-wise.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

highly religious? defend the innocent? ew. thats too squishy and nice for vampires, and redguards in general. im still thinking traditional redguard vamps here, which would have all the traditional yokudan traditions plus a few more. a ritualized society based solely on the power of the individual, with high respect for strength and for bloodline.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

that's more like it. :3 sounds like a great vehicle to represent all of the awesome stuff the team has come up with in-game, that might otherwise be stuck in books half the players won't read.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

I'd prefer to finally see a highly religious, highly complex society of vampires who believe the curse can be used as a way to defend the innocent, thereby salvaging their spiritual immortality.
Too much of the Twilight lexicon, Hemi. :P
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

IF TR USES ANYTHING FROM TWILIGHT, I WILL KILL MYSELF FROM MERELY HAVING ASSOSCIATED WITH PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY ENJOYED THAT STEAMING INSULT TO LITERATURE AS WE KNOW IT.
that is all. :3
pespespes

Post by pespespes »

I don't prefer borrowing things from other games.
human IS an animal!
TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

pes: twilight is a book turned movie. not a game ( not sure if its been turned into one)

though i haven't watched it. nor read it.
theviking and MowSkwoz have it in theirs... soo: "We need quest designers!" - Stolen From teh Cutness.

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

pespespes: We are not doing it like they did in cyrodiil as that was boring and already done in cyrodiil.

Milne: While better than the cyrodiil vampires, these sound more like dungeon gimmicks, and neither of them particularly hammerfeldian.

Nanu: Kind of limiting, I understand they shouldn't be everywhere but that is too much in the other direction.

wooty: The fang lair will be awesome by virtue of it being the fang lair. Therefore mundane tunnel vamps are out.

Hemi: Doesn't seem hammerfeldian.

wooty: read all the new lorestuffs made in your absence.

LN: you are correct and provide a reasonable launch pad to base for the HF vampires.

Nanu: irrelevant

wooty: Don't ever make a post like that again

pespespes: we are free to be inspired by outside sources as long as the finished product does not closely resemble any of the referenced outside products.

gooch: Yes, now lets not talk about twilight any more.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

I wasn't describing the Cullens, I was describing certain clans from Whitewolf's rpg Vampire(: the Masquerade; Dark Ages; or Requiem).
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Okay Im going to keep aside of this conversation but say:

Dont use Fang Lair. Its one of the most renown places in Hammerfell and should be allocated to something of high importance like the main story line or left entirely.
(Saying that, I dont actaully know what the main story line of Hammerfell is or is about).

But my point remainds valid!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

The fang lair will be whatever it should be in lore. Do not talk forcefully about things you know nothing about, and especially don't necromance things to do so
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Look all im saying is that Fang Lair is important, otherwise they wouldnt have hid part of the Staff of Chaos there, and whether that part is relivant or not, that dwarven ruin (because it is actaully dwarven) needs to not be treated as a standard ruin/dungeon.

Im not saying dont use it, Im jsut saying make it used for something memorable, make it stand out.

I also found a interesting quote, relivant to Staff of Chaos, (he = The emperior at the time)
UESPwiki wrote:Unable to destroy it, he did the next best thing, splitting it into eight fragments and hiding each piece within the most forgotten and dangerous places throughout the provinces.
In Hammerfell's case, that place is Fang Lair.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

... that dwarven ruin (because it is actaully dwarven) needs to not be treated as a standard ruin/dungeon.
The fang lair will be whatever it should be in lore.
I seriously don't see your problem.

Though frankly, 'Fang Lair' needs a bit of a rehash. It dates from the Arena era and that almost makes it tacky by default. But this is still irrelevant for now.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

This thread is about vampires, so why are we even discussing about Fang Lair? Even though there's "Fang" in the name, the place has absolutely no relationships with vampires whatsoever.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Well Gez that was sorta my concern, the 'no-relation'.

Anyway I'll keep quiet for now.