Telsar's Music

Place where the game's audio assets are produced.

Moderators: Gesshoku, Lead Developers

Telsar
Developer

Telsar's Music

Post by Telsar »

Here's where I'll put my music.

And the first one is up for review:
Attachments
Call to Battle.mp3
Battle song.
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 122 times
Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gesshoku »

I do like it, but I also have one critique, I don't like the horn at the first.

I'd like to hear a more subtle intro, or use a cello, but the brass just doesn't fit with the rest of the song, infact it's kind of distracting.

As far as the rest of the song is concerned, it keeps a decent pace the whole song, and is plenty long enough. Although the original MW battle songs seem to be more legato, and have a lot more reverb to them, I think your song will fit in well. I'd just like to see something done with the horn at the first.
--Dave
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Is this for Morrowind? I must say, I'm very impressed. I think this will fit wonderfully with the vanilla music.
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Telsar
Developer

Post by Telsar »

Yeah I was iffy about the horn intro. I wanted an inspirational "call to battle," hence the name of the song, so I thought some sort of solo brass voice at the beginning would be appropriate. I didn't want a trumpet, though it would certainly fit a stereotypical role, so I went with the milder horn voice. But yes, I agree, something needs to be done with the intro. I'll toy around with some other voices or I may just cut out the solo intro all together.

I would initially agree that the entire introduction as a whole could be more subtle, but how long does an average Morrowind/Oblivion battle last, especially at the point where people are applying TR mods? I wanted to get into the main theme of the song quickly because most battles will be over quickly.

I'll wait and see if I get any additional suggestions before I release another version. Other than changing the horn I may add some more reverb. I feel that the brass fits in well, but I'll see what I can do about melding it more with the song.

And MMMowSkwoz, thanks for the encouragement :).
Evil Eye
Developer

Post by Evil Eye »

Telsar wrote:initially agree that the entire introduction as a whole could be more subtle, but how long does an average Morrowind/Oblivion battle last, especially at the point where people are applying TR mods? I wanted to get into the main theme of the song quickly because most battles will be over quickly.
Keeping this one!
My avarage battles are about 2-5 seconds if it's something thougher (special lich, werewolf, etc) up to 5 minutes maybe?
Telsar
Developer

Post by Telsar »

Here's a minor rework of the song. I replaced the horn with tremolo strings in order to provide the feel for impending battle. I like it, but let me know what you think. I also lowered the volume of the brass.
Attachments
Call to Battle-02.mp3
Version 2
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
Gesshoku
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gesshoku »

I love it, the changes are excellent. Hopefully we can get another opinion or two, but in my eyes it'll fit right in and I think it's an approved battle song.

Anyone else have any opinions?
--Dave
Don Bernardo
Developer

Post by Don Bernardo »

Hi Telsar! I'm glad we have more and more composers now!

Great battle track. I think it fits too. Definitely keep the changes you made. If I had to critique anything about it, I'd say try varying that drum a little so that every stroke isn't at the same intensity. It might make it sound more natural. Boom ... BOOM ... boom Boom ... BOOM ... boom or whatever. Just a suggestion though, it's great the way it is.
Telsar
Developer

Post by Telsar »

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if there is anything more you definitely want changed.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Hey Telsar. You are also before my time- which is interesting because I think of myself as fairly old. Oh well.

I like the track, overall it's quite good. I have just one tiny suggestion- that first note should probably crescendo in from a soft dynamic. You never want to have a long sustained note that dosent grow or shrink- especialy when it's that naked.

Keep up the good work!
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Théodore

Post by Théodore »

Love it.

Very nice song.
Slowly translating Stirk into French.
Telsar
Developer

Post by Telsar »

Macar, thanks for the feedback. I do agree with you, but there are a couple of reasons why I didn't add any dynamics to that note. First and foremost, it was because I recently switched to Cubase and I was ignorant on how to change the volume on a single MIDI note when I wrote this song (I have since figured that out). Second, as this is a battle song, I feel that its beginning should be easily discernible. A soft dynamic at the onset could be difficult to hear amid other game sounds. Depending on how quickly the volume increased, a player could could potentially begin the battle before he or she ever hears the battle song. It could be a very fast crescendo to offset this, but that wouldn't make much sense musically. Perhaps the first note could taper down in a diminuendo as the percussion and strings enter? That would preserve the initial perceptibility of the song while adhering to traditional music theory standards. What do you think?
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

That might work. You do have a point about the onset isue- though there were tracks in the MW soundtrack that started with a crescendo if I recall correctly. (I just had a listen and mw battle 5 is definately like this) The dim. might work too- you'll have to see how it sounds.

Of course, this suggestion isn't really based on a theory rule- it's just asthetic. It's just something that players do so it will help make make it just a little more lifelike.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Telsar
Developer

Post by Telsar »

I think I found the middle ground. I went with a sfz attack on the first note then went into a slow crescendo. The dim. didn't sound that great, so good call on the crescendo, Macar. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Call to Battle-03.mp3
Third cut
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
Don Bernardo
Developer

Post by Don Bernardo »

The sfz. cresc. sounds pretty awesome like that. I'd say this one is good to go.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Perfect solution, why didnt I think of that? :D
Don Bernardo
Developer

Post by Don Bernardo »

I recommend Telsar be promoted for music.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Oh hai Telsar.

You've been Promoted for writing music. Congrats
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Telsar
Developer

Post by Telsar »

I guess I'll assume this one is good to go. I'll start working on another.