Who's getting ESO?

Miscellaneous non-TR related discussion.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

TheLexicon

Who's getting ESO?

Post by TheLexicon »

I was just wondering who will play ESO when it's released.

If you are, I might get it, though that depends on whether I have a computer then, or whether I have the money to play. I'll probably play as a Khajiit for my first character, and I'll most likely be under the same name I use here (TheLexicon).

Maybe we should make a guild for TR members. :)

Please don't hate on me. I'm looking forward to ESO, and I've no doubt it'll be great.
But that's just my opinion, so it's likely completely stupid.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

I doubt it will be good, but I know I will probably try it.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

I doubt I'll play it for more than 5 hours, but I'll probably get it.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

I wonder why everybody hates on ESO. :/

Not saying you guys are haters, but your text sounds pretty sceptic.
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

I don't feel anything particular towards it. I just have commitment issues.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

As they say, hatters got to hat. And I like to think of myself as one mad hatter.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Matin Sanguine
Developer

Post by Matin Sanguine »

I probably won't get it, there isn't anything there (as far as I've seen) that is particularly appealing for me.
"SLOAD. SOAP. IS. NOT. SOAP"- TF

"As to where the ash comes from.. fuck if I care." -Sload

"At TR, we LOVE our quests to be steeped in lore, so you'd be able to flex your CHIM there just fine." - Nanu

Claims Completed: 4
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Ah. I probably will.

Look on the bright side: If enough people hate on it, it'll go free-to-play. :)

But then again, that means that we'd be trashing a possibly good MMO just so that we didn't have to pay the money that the devs at Zenimax Online deserve. :/
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Free to play is actually a rather interesting business model.

And on why we're not really smitten with the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO, we're crazy people that love Morrowind enough to still mod it after 10+ years. Everything we say is highly subjective and coloured by years of scepticism about Oblivion and Skyrim. :P
Matin Sanguine
Developer

Post by Matin Sanguine »

why wrote:And on why we're not really smitten with the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO, we're crazy people that love Morrowind enough to still mod it after 10+ years. Everything we say is highly subjective and coloured by years of scepticism about Oblivion and Skyrim.
My reasons are more to do with not being particularly impressed by either the game mechanics or the story, also, add to that I have commitment issues with MMO's general and possess a dislike of the subscription model (I know, it's picky but I'm being honest). So unless the MMO in question wows me sufficiently in the above things mentioned, I don't tend to pay it much interest. The idea that it would be set in Tamriel was appealing, but not enough to buy it on that alone.

Still, it has been awhile since I've checked up on it, and it may have changed for the better.

So any sort of skepticism of the Elder Scrolls games that I possess doesn't really factor into it.

"At TR, we LOVE our quests to be steeped in lore, so you'd be able to flex your CHIM there just fine." - Nanu

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Is it confirmed to be subscription-based? I haven't been keeping up with the news much.
Matin Sanguine
Developer

Post by Matin Sanguine »

It hasn't been confirmed (to my knowledge), but I haven't been keeping up with it either.

Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

I'm not keeping up to date, but every time I've seen them asked about subscriptions they say "Oh, that's a complicated business question for really brainy people to answer. We're just the game designers in charge of the project, we don't know anything".

Of course, that may not have used those exact words...
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
Matrimelee

Post by Matrimelee »

It looks absolutely horrible and it's a MMORPG. No need to get it.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

I still think that ESO has a lot of opportunity. I haven't been keeping up with the news that much either, but I know that a lot more ES fans have become more confident that the game will be one of the best MMOs ever.

On the topic of MMOs, is WoW worth getting? I really don't play any MMOs and ESO will probably be my first other than Runescape (I know), at least if FFXI is free-to-play.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

No MMO is worth getting in my correct opinion, unless it's Planetside 2 (which is more a MMOFPS).
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Matin Sanguine
Developer

Post by Matin Sanguine »

Nemon wrote:No MMO is worth getting in my correct opinion, unless it's Planetside 2 (which is more a MMOFPS).
Pretty much echos my sentiment as well (with an exception here or there, but very, very rarely).

TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Ah well.

But surely ESO will be an exception? I mean, it's designed to be like Skyrim, and a lot of people here play that!
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

If people say it's "designed to be like Skyrim" it's because ESO's marketing team says it's designed to be like Skyrim. I'll start paying attention to things like that once reviewers I actually trust get their hands on it, or once I get access to the beta.

I wouldn't necessarily say all MMOs are bad. Some do allright. I enjoyed playing GW2 for a bit, I think it's a good game, just not one that stuck with me and my interest for it sort of fizzled out after level 35 or so. Still, I had a good time.

WoW is a pretty good game (he said, as he ran for shelter). I mean, with its massive player base, it's got to be doing some things right. It's just not a game I'm willing to spend €13 a month on. It's definitely a good idea to download the starter version just to see what all the fuss is about. You'll be able to play until lvl 20 or so without a subscription.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Yeah. I'll probably still get ESO anyway.

I heard there will be Maormer and other lore-based races. :)
DawnJasnine

Post by DawnJasnine »

Personally I'm not really much of an online game player. I mostly play single player games. I would have got ESO for sure though, partly because I really like the TES setting even if certain individual games aren't always so good, but I probably won't get it because my computer most likely can't run this game (it can barely run Skyrim on the lowest settings), and I most likely won't be getting a new computer anytime soon.
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Nemon wrote:No MMO is worth getting in my correct opinion
Truth.
Gentlemen, start your striders:
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Chances are the minimum requirements for the game will be similar to those of Skyrim. Their target user base pretty much is "people who played Skyrim" + "people who enjoy MMOs". Considering that the majority of Skyrim console gamers won't have a high end gaming PC, and that MMOs generally aren't the most graphically advanced games on the market, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't make the graphics scalable enough so that the game can be played on older machines.

Actually, have the requirements been announced already?
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

I don't think. They'd probably annouce that along with the date for open-beta.

I'll probably wait to see if it's any good. I sure hope it is.