Annoying Questions

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

TheLexicon

Annoying Questions

Post by TheLexicon »

So, I've come back, because I told myself not to bother logging in again until I am capable of modding for Tamriel Rebuilt. I have my computer, and I intend to install Morrowind as soon as I am certain that my electricity will stay on. So I thought of some questions related to this mod and modding that I'd like to know the answer to.

First, I plan to buy Morrowind off Steam. Probably a stupid decision, but those are the only kind of decisions I'm capable of making. Does the Construction Set come with the GotY edition available for purchase on Steam, or should I look elsewhere?

Second, I have no idea how to mod, and I'm not entirely certain where and what type of modding I'd like to help out with. Likely interiors, but can anyone tell me which of the modding guides on this site are worth looking through for building interiors and possibly scripting?

And this pertains purely to the game itself, but is it recommended to install this mod on my first playthrough of Morrowind, and is it recommended to get into modding during my first playthrough? It'll likely still be a while before I actually begin to mod, but at least I'm fairly close to divine ascension and being among the Mods (bad pun). Thanks for being awesome.
But that's just my opinion, so it's likely completely stupid.
Vocal Lurker

Post by Vocal Lurker »

Why wouldn't your electricity stay on? If that is some major concern for you, get the hell off the TR site and sort your RL-situation out. Haha.

Why would buying Morrowind off Steam be a stupid idea? It was on sale for about £4 not even 24 hours ago. ebay is another source for dirt-cheap copies. If you buy the steam version of Morrowind, you can download the Construction Set from Steam as well.

If you want to make interiors, I recommend 'Dragonsong's House Tutorial', something I learned to mod with over 5 years ago. It's old, but great. There are a plethora of easily findable tutorials, and there is one on this site, even. Follow one and try things out. Look at vanilla interiors to see how Bethesda did it.

Play the game as much as you like. I've never finished the Main Quest without cheating, and I make some of the best mod content in the community. It's all a matter of how familiar you are with the style aesthetic of the game. Something that is more difficult to try to learn and only comes with spending time in Bethesda's Morrowind.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Re: Annoying Questions

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

TheLexicon wrote:So, I've come back, because I told myself not to bother logging in again until I am capable of modding for Tamriel Rebuilt. I have my computer, and I intend to install Morrowind as soon as I am certain that my electricity will stay on. So I thought of some questions related to this mod and modding that I'd like to know the answer to.
Sounds like you've not been having the best end of the year. Hope that turns around for you.
TheLexicon wrote:First, I plan to buy Morrowind off Steam. Probably a stupid decision, but those are the only kind of decisions I'm capable of making. Does the Construction Set come with the GotY edition available for purchase on Steam, or should I look elsewhere?
Bit hard on yourself by any standard I think. I feel like the CS doesn't, but that it is easy to acquire the CS though other perfectly legitimate means. A quick google has told me it is apparently on the nexus.
TheLexicon wrote:Second, I have no idea how to mod, and I'm not entirely certain where and what type of modding I'd like to help out with. Likely interiors, but can anyone tell me which of the modding guides on this site are worth looking through for building interiors and possibly scripting?
We have several tutorials on hand that I recommend taking a look at. Interiors are the most common starting point for a reason, so I'd recommend starting there. As for the tutorials themselves, I'm partial to the one I wrote for ints. For scripting I feel like we have to have a newish tutorial as well, but I am less intimately familiar with it.

TheLexicon wrote:And this pertains purely to the game itself, but is it recommended to install this mod on my first playthrough of Morrowind, and is it recommended to get into modding during my first playthrough? It'll likely still be a while before I actually begin to mod, but at least I'm fairly close to divine ascension and being among the Mods (bad pun). Thanks for being awesome.
Personally, I've been playing Morrowind for almost 10 years now and I still don't use any mods with any regularity. I freely admit though that most people will have a much better experience if they do. I'd recommend starting a basic vanilla run with no mods, but not hesitating to mod it if you can't deal with the game. As for our mod itself, if the base game is new, then new landmass would just distract from the original, so I'd say you probably shouldn't have us first time through.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
TheLexicon

Re: Annoying Questions

Post by TheLexicon »

Vocal Lurker wrote:Why wouldn't your electricity stay on? If that is some major concern for you, get the hell off the TR site and sort your RL-situation out. Haha.

If you want to make interiors, I recommend 'Dragonsong's House Tutorial', something I learned to mod with over 5 years ago. It's old, but great. There are a plethora of easily findable tutorials, and there is one on this site, even. Follow one and try things out. Look at vanilla interiors to see how Bethesda did it.
I was bombarded with freezing rain until I lost power the weekend before Christmas, and it didn't come back on until this morning (almost a week with no electricity). But now there's supposed to be another storm coming in soon that will likely mess everything up again, so I want to be sure that my power is staying on for good before I start setting up my computer.

I think I've read that back when I first joined these forums, but of course that, like any other tutorial, relied on the reader actually modding and building as they went along, something I was unable to do when I first read it. I'll give it another look-through, though.
Thrignar Fraxix wrote:
TheLexicon wrote:So, I've come back, because I told myself not to bother logging in again until I am capable of modding for Tamriel Rebuilt. I have my computer, and I intend to install Morrowind as soon as I am certain that my electricity will stay on. So I thought of some questions related to this mod and modding that I'd like to know the answer to.
Sounds like you've not been having the best end of the year. Hope that turns around for you.
TheLexicon wrote:Second, I have no idea how to mod, and I'm not entirely certain where and what type of modding I'd like to help out with. Likely interiors, but can anyone tell me which of the modding guides on this site are worth looking through for building interiors and possibly scripting?
We have several tutorials on hand that I recommend taking a look at. Interiors are the most common starting point for a reason, so I'd recommend starting there. As for the tutorials themselves, I'm partial to the one I wrote for ints. For scripting I feel like we have to have a newish tutorial as well, but I am less intimately familiar with it.

TheLexicon wrote:And this pertains purely to the game itself, but is it recommended to install this mod on my first playthrough of Morrowind, and is it recommended to get into modding during my first playthrough? It'll likely still be a while before I actually begin to mod, but at least I'm fairly close to divine ascension and being among the Mods (bad pun). Thanks for being awesome.
Personally, I've been playing Morrowind for almost 10 years now and I still don't use any mods with any regularity. I freely admit though that most people will have a much better experience if they do. I'd recommend starting a basic vanilla run with no mods, but not hesitating to mod it if you can't deal with the game. As for our mod itself, if the base game is new, then new landmass would just distract from the original, so I'd say you probably shouldn't have us first time through.
It won't. :)

I figured interiors would be the best place to start. I'll look through some of those tutorials when I decide I've played enough Morrowind to understand how to mod it properly. Another quick, vexatious question purely out of curiousity, but compared to interiors, how difficult is it to build exteriors?

Okay. I'll play around on vanilla for a bit, and when I've played enough to be less of a dumb n00b, I'll install this awesome mod, as well as various other gameplay-enhancing mods (no mods for fixing the obnoxious combat, I'm assuming?).

Oh, and I think I'll mention that I've been honing my writing skills and trying to build some art skills while I was gone. Quite terrible at both, but I could write quests, lore, or whatever you need or want. Though writing is a pretty worthless skill around here, it's the only skill I currently possess (How typical). I might also try my hand at composing music, but building interiors and such obviously take far more precedence, so I'm still worthless without the modding know-how.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

Writing is not worthless at all. If you write a good ingame book then it will be readily added to TR_Data and used. :)
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote:Writing is not worthless at all. If you write a good ingame book then it will be readily added to TR_Data and used. :)
But it's not needed. But I'll probably write something at some point anyway. Just out of curiousity, but the lore books are strictly on Dumner history and lore, or can I write most anything pertaining to Morrowind even in the most indirect way?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

TheLexicon wrote:But it's not needed.
I'm not entirely sure where you got this idea from, Lexicon, or why you're being so self-deprecating towards yourself. Writing is an immensely important skill to have at TR. We're always in need of good writers, whether they want to write books, design quests, write dialogue for NPCs, or simply take part in forum discussions.

I encourage you to look into modding tutorials, and hope you enjoy playing the game. :)
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

I was going to buy Morrowind off Steam until I found an amazing deal for the TES Anthology.
Yeti wrote:
TheLexicon wrote:But it's not needed.
I'm not entirely sure where you got this idea from, Lexicon, or why you're being so self-deprecating towards yourself. Writing is an immensely important skill to have at TR. We're always in need of good writers, whether they want to write books, design quests, write dialogue for NPCs, or simply take part in forum discussions.

I encourage you to look into modding tutorials, and hope you enjoy playing the game. :)
Well, my attempts to help in that regard were not exactly well-received when I first joined, as building interiors and such were and are top priority. But that was because I only accomplished annoying everyone with my naivety and bad plot ideas and whatnot, so maybe it's not useless among the people who have built hundreds of interior cells beforehand. So it is unimportant until I've actually been a help, for once.

I managed to play fifteen minutes of Morrowind before I got the usual "All you do is game" shit from my father, which didn't cease until I stopped playing, so it's an awesome game so far. :)
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

All good ideas start as bad ones, and don't worry about annoying us, we're happy to listen and to help!
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Why wrote:All good ideas start as bad ones, and don't worry about annoying us, we're happy to listen and to help!
Like that way of thinking. Though does that mean all bad ideas start as good ones? If so, then you should tell me what you think of this idea for an ES fan-fic I have. Message me if you want to.
Spirithawke

Post by Spirithawke »

Vocal Lurker wrote:If you buy the steam version of Morrowind, you can download the Construction Set from Steam as well.
I know this is probably known by TheLexicon by now, as I have seen him over on the Official Forums, but I feel it is worth mentioning here for anyone new to Morrowind who reads this thread and has not yet been to the Official Forums and seen or know about the issue.

It has been stated on the [url=http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1305729-mod-recommendations-for-new-players/]Official Forums[/url] (scroll down to the "Info for using mods with the Steam version." section) that if you get the CS from Steam, it do not function correctly, and you need [url=http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42196/?]TESCS fixed for Morrowind Steam GOTY edition v161820 - VO and VF by Papill6n[/url] from the Nexus.
[url=http://downloads.fliggerty.com/search-au-Spirithawke]My Mods on GHF Downloads[/url]
[url=http://mw.modhistory.com/home]Morrowind Modding History[/url]
sasquatch
Developer

Post by sasquatch »

I bought GOTY for $10 during steam sale. works great! im still have a lot to learn with the cs, even just making interiors, but it isn't too hard to get started.
Spirithawke

Tutorials?

Post by Spirithawke »

Just wondering what happened to the tutorials section. My links to things such as [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=modding_data/tutorials&section=202276]Pathgridding for Dummies[/url] no longer work.
[url=http://downloads.fliggerty.com/search-au-Spirithawke]My Mods on GHF Downloads[/url]
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

They'll, for the most part, return soon enough!
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

So, I've been playing a lot of Morrowind. Great game. Nowhere near compretent enough to mod, though, because I'm not even entirely sure how installing the expansion packs work. Is the disc a one-time use thing for installing and I just have to reinsert the Morrowind disc after, or does that become my new favourite disc? :/
Spirithawke

Post by Spirithawke »

Yes the majority of the disks are a one time thing. Install in this order: Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon. Once install is complete you need the first Morrowind disk in the drive to play the game. For modding purposes, if you want the original meshes and textures to be able to fiddle with them, you can either copy them off from the CS CD, or you can use a program such as bsapack to extract the BSA files. Myself, I keep copies of all the BSAs extracted.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Thanks.

I haven't been playing as much Morrowind as I should have been due to exams and such. Will resume playing sometime soon.