Name Dedefecation

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I think it's about time we had a preliminary vote on Reich Parkeep's new name. From what I can tell reading this thread, the final candidates seem to be:Solenthis and Taahn Mur and Soluthis

This doesn't necessarily need to be a final vote; more as a means to see where everyone stands.

But anyway, Taahn Mur gets my vote.[/b]
Last edited by Yeti on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Solenthis from this old git.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

dont like either of them, dont care

edit: actually, i vote for soluthis because of all these shitty names, at least its on a map
Last edited by Sload on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

I like Taahn Mur.
Le vent nous portera

Tea is important! - Cathartis
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Sload wrote:edit: actually, i vote for soluthis because of all these shitty names, at least its on a map
Fair enough, I'll add it to the list. The only reason I didn't include it was that there seemed to be a consensus against it a page or so back.

Any particular reason why you don't like Taahn Mur? It's sort of in the same vein as Baan Malur, which I believe was one of your creations.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I don't see any articulated opposition to Soluthis in this thread, just people suggesting variations on it and I don't know why?

So names are arbitrary, but only so arbitrary. Taahn Mur is very similar to the name of a major nearby city, which to me seems repetitive and even confusing. It also is very heavy on the look-me-Dunmeri, with a double vowel followed by an h and a rhotic vowel and a lot of hard consonants; it seems like Dunmeri concentrate to me & breaks the suspension of disbelief. Soluthis and its variations all seem essentially the same to me, but Soluthis at least we have a reason (its what they called it on a map).
immortal_pigs wrote:Bosmora basically means "Woodwood". That's just not a good name. I think someone somewhere proposed "Lan Murha" which seems like a good alternative.
Bosmora means Green Forest. Not saying its great or anything but it doesn't mean Wood Wood.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

I'm not sure if my opposition to Soluthis is still in this thread, but it is still standing: the name sounds a hell lot like solution. It wouldn't be the first time that we're changing a Daggerfall name to the better by slightly bastardizing it.

If the main issue with Taahn Mur is the n-m double consonant, what about Taahna Mur? I think the "aah" is just a long slightly nasal "a", which shouldn't be hard to pronounce. But I, too, dislike its rhyming with Baan Malur. Taahna Mor maybe? Either way, my primary vote is on Solenthis.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I like Solenthis. I don't like "meadow" for the ash areas. I do like calling it the Gray something or other. The Gray March or Marches sounds good to me.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Haplo wrote:I like Solenthis. I don't like "meadow" for the ash areas. I do like calling it the Gray something or other. The Gray March or Marches sounds good to me.
'March' is confusing because the Redoran are organised into marches and this isn't one of them.
Test
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Let's go with Soluthis, Redoran have quite enough two word town names already if you ask me. Or something else, I don't really care, to be entirely honest.
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

why bother posting if you dont care, names are very emotionally loaded issues you know

I like both Strangled Fen and Grey Meadows for the ash swamp. Grey Meadows is perhaps more neutral while Strangled Fen sounds hostile.

Is there a policy on NOT giving regions Dunmer names? Because Shipal-Shin sounds rather Dunmer. Maybe we can use Taahn Mur for the Inlet Bog?

I agree with Why and Sload that Taahn Mur would be confusing and detract from Baan Malur. I do like the name though.

Soluthis sounds like another settlement to follow the "th" trend: Andothren, Llothanis and Othrensis were all renamed this way. Not saying that's a bad thing though.

I prefer Soluthis over Solenthis, Solonthis and Salontable.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Other than Andothren, those names come from an original Morrowind map.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

"the Grey Aria" :o)