Lycanthropes of Morrowind

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

The Mad God

Lycanthropes of Morrowind

Post by The Mad God »

There are three types of Lycanthropes that are supposed to exist in Morrowind. Of the three types, only one (the werewolf) exists as of the GotY expansion.

The WearBear which is supposed to be the most common Lycanthrope in Skyrm is also supposed to exist in Northern Morrowind.

The WereCrocodile supposedly prowls the swamps of the Black Marsh and southern Morrowind.

If we haven't already, these creatures need to be modeled.
Asylum
Developer

Post by Asylum »

"When I did finally see a lycanthrope, it was not a werebear. It was a werewolf, the "common" lycanthope, which can be found in every part of Tamriel" from On Lycanthropy By Varnard Karessen

this suggest that the werewolf is the most common lycantrope in whole Tamriel and the werebear is somewhat more unique...
I also think we need these creatures in TR
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose"
Asylum
Developer

Post by Asylum »

i'm sorry what i said before about the wearbear not being the most common in skyrim, further down the text there is an other paragraph:

"In Black Marsh and southern Morrowind, werecrocodiles stalk the swamps. Black Marsh also shares with the Imperial Province and the wetter parts of Elsweyr the vile presence of werelions. Valenwood's werevultures are not found in any other province. The wereboar has found both the climates of High Rock and Hammerfell amenable. As I mentioned before, the werebear is the most common lycanthrope in Skyrim, and is also found in the northern parts of High Rock, the Imperial Province, and Morrowind. The werewolf can be found in every province. The seventh lycanthrope, which I have never seen but my trusted peers have assured me exists, is a wereshark that roams the oceans around Tamriel."

this also sums up a lot of other lycantropic variants but i'm having seriouse doubts in the credability of the text...
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose"
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

It follows all other lore on the subject actually. I agree even if we don't add the other two types of lycanthropy (Which I think we should). We need to add the creatures.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Some nice new creatures to be made. oh joy.*yells for Vorrheis*

If its a book in morrowind, its probably accurate.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Maklir

Post by Maklir »

Wereshark, I think that's a dangerous thing...
Gone to real life
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Yes it is and it's been in the creature guide for a few months now
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hey, where (pun) are wererats?
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I was thinking about doing Werebears, actually. I just played Bloodmoon, and was thinking of how to make a Werebear from the Werewolf and Bear meshes. It would probably be easy. It would have to be physiqued, which I'm learning takes a loooot longer to set up then segmented animation.
The werevulture sounds intriguing, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

So....We need Werebears and Werealligators for Morrowind??

They are on my to-do list

Vorrheis
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I dunno about werealligators...

maybe a werecroc for a quest in blackmarsh...
but we definitely need werebears...one question though for you vorrheis:

arent werebears the same as bugbears? I dont think so, but if they are, bugbear sounds better, cause werebear sounds too much like carebear.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I think bugbears are like big hairy goblins. They have a terrifying gaze attack and don't change into human form. That's DnD lore.
I don't know if they are trademarked by DnD or not, so I don't know if we would be able to use that name. I will agree that 'werebear' doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

V
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, it would kinda break the theme and they are called werebear in lore
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I think the werebears should be basically super-nuts strong (but NOTHING else other than physical power, thus making them slow too) and 10-12 feet tall.
As for Were-Vultures, just make them constantly levitating and all the animations flapping(walk), flying(run), and slow wing beat(stand). They should focus on speed and agility, seeing that being airborne is enough of an advantage. This would also mean that they would be small (by lycanthrope standards).
And werecrocodiles? Breathe underwater and huge athletics... i guess. I'm also going to guess that there would be ALOT of them in the argon jungle and tear (but then again, freaks, punks, and creeps of every type are in tear).
just my two cents.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Haplo you have been mixing up your lore in a few threads now. And yes check the uber guide all those creatures unless specified differently are from lore. And yes all those types of were are in lore (No they aren't bugbears).
All the were's except wolves are only in specific provinces and the werewolf is scarce in morrowind although they are there.