Census and Excise?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Arthmodeus
Developer

Census and Excise?

Post by Arthmodeus »

Will we be making the Census and Excise faction joinable? Just a thought...
Darth_Blade

Post by Darth_Blade »

What for?
Oh, it's going to have exciting quests like tax-collecting, writing reports and *starts drooling* looking for your lost feather pen in the offices. :lol:
Lazy@$$ interior maker.
Title: Shooshpan-ataman

Finished interiors: Four

All things are but a horse.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Darth_Blade, you should get into advertising. You make it sound like so much fun 8)
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Well tax collecting could be potentialy exciting if a person does not wish to pay their taxes then you could resort to all sorts of fun tactics like speachcraft, violence, even robbery. Cencus counts could be equaly exciting when trying to track down people who don't wish to be found...also the faction could deal with smugglers.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

People who don't pay their taxes are criminal, and criminals are fun. I'm all for it!

However, one should not be able to kill the person who does not pay his/her taxes. That would make it too easy. Just barge in, behead the bastard, take all his money and leave.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Take all his money, items and clothes, put his in a muckpond full of much leeches until he won't pay his taxes. This sounds like some fun !
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Tylium

Post by Tylium »

why not put all those non payers in the arena and the one that stands the last has no money that he needs to pay :lol:
uh so your are the blades where are the sharp sides if i may ask :P
Darth_Blade

Post by Darth_Blade »

Oh yeah!
Tamriel Rebuilt presents:
Census and Excise: Enter the offices.
Have you had these wonderful dreams about writing reports and filling ledgers since you were a kid? Always dreamt of sitting behind a desk for three days in a row? Your dreams are made real by this great opportunity. Join the Imperial Census and Excise. Experience the excitement of finding a mistake in the first line of the report you've been writing for two hours! Beg huge orcs with battleaxes to pay their taxes!Census and Excise - it's a new kind of adventuring!
Additional info:
Like Census and Excise: Enter the offices? Then you just have to buy our next product - Census and Excise goes outdoors! Sleeping in swamps, spending days and nights searching for caves, running from angry taxpayers, robbing evil sorcerers AND MORE! Preorder now - only 600 drakes for a new life!
Last edited by Darth_Blade on Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazy@$$ interior maker.
Title: Shooshpan-ataman

Finished interiors: Four

All things are but a horse.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

LOL
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Actually, it could be done. Most quests would be getting so and so's money. And you're the fellow who deals with the tricky ones. Some would give it up easily (they forgot and were late. gotta pay interest for that, you know...), some you would have to fight for it, some would hide it (like that fellow in Hla Oad with the chest under the pier), and some you'd be ordered to take away everything of theirs-down to the last wooden spoon to make up for what they can't get in coin. And as an off-shoot of that, someone would barter and pay their taxes in wolf hides, though someone might want to check the history for me and see if that was ever allowed... There could be one quest you'd have to collect weekly for a while or you'd get in trouble-perhaps some noble guy paying in interest. And another where the fellow would beg you to pay the tax for him, because he had not the money because he had a wife and three children to feed, so it would be your choice of heart whether to be evil or heavenly... Then there'd be some Telvanni noble saying he's not really part of the Empire so why should he pay taxes??? Well, you the feeling....

Census, I believe, is also what the Romans used to do to count every person in their Empire and list them. So maybe there could be a few quests where you have to get a birth certificate signed out or confirm that someone really is dead (but whos really not). Then there are those who were never "counted" and added to the census and never wanted to be, but its your duty to correct that... There are many twists you could add.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

So combined repo man with a kind of census investigator, could work.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

As I recall, they had a couple quests like this in the Imperial guilds, collecting guild dues for the Mages, etc. Those were my least-favorite quests, running out to some extremely remote location (with cliff racers pecking on my head the whole way) then dealing with some punk that refuses to pay up. It almost always boiled down to killing the guy, anyways, making it a rather poorly paying assassination job. I'm not so sure about making this a joinable faction.

EDIT: On the other hand, I like Kevaar's ideas, but this should be a low-priority thing. We've already laid down plans for too many entirely new factions, and we have yet to even begin making the quests for the factions we know for sure we will include.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaricus

Post by Aaricus »

What if it was more of a humor thing in the game, like with what Darth Blade says. Rather than a real faction
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Aaricus: That would certainly be fun, but the rest of TR isn't really humorous, and since Census and Excise IS Imperial it wouldn't make much sense to make it clownish...

Oh, and we have to make it more difficult to kill people. I have killed half of Vvardenfell on my quests, since that was the most easy way to get what I want.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Killing people would be extremely frowned upon in this faction, as if it was let out that the Imperials were killers, the Empire would go down pretty quickly by angry peasents. Well, maybe not quickly, but would be a headache for the Emperor and the Blades and Imperial Legions I'm sure and they've already got enough on their plates.

I'd like to have most of the quests keep away from killing...have another way out to get the money you need from the person-and usually a way that you dont have to be a thief-class to do. Would take a lot of thinking...
Psyborg

Post by Psyborg »

What? There's not going to be any humor in TR? But there was humor in Morrowind! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? :wink:
Without humor, we're all dead. And it could be kind of a stupid people are doing stupid things humor, where they take themselves EXTREMELY SERIOUSLY.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Killing people would be extremely frowned upon in this faction, as if it was let out that the Imperials were killers, the Empire would go down pretty quickly by angry peasents. Well, maybe not quickly, but would be a headache for the Emperor and the Blades and Imperial Legions I'm sure and they've already got enough on their plates.
Kevaar: While you're certainly right it IS the simplest way of solving an issue. Most of MW worked that way, and if we don't prevent it TR will become the same. There is no punishment for killing someone who lives remote. So if people who do not pay their taxes live in a remote place you can kill them just like that. That's not a real challenge, especially not when you're level 20+.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Dead people don't owe taxes.. Therefore the Census and Excise office does not want to lose any of its revenue generating public. Just have the quests set so killing the debtor is not an option.
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

And if you play as a man and join you get to wear a fancy skirt like the guy in Vivec.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Perhaps if you kill a tax ower you're kicked out of the faction... ?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The quests could be a bit similar to colecting the tax from the guy in
Seyda neen

I actually think it could be worthwile Also script in the ability to write on empty scrolls if you have quill and ink thats good for writing reports and doodling assasination attempts on the emperor and leaving it on your fellow imperials desks. No this could be good for not just humour but as an interesting guilds for the taxcollector amung you.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

There is actually a mod/external program that lets you write in a book, but still there wouldn't be a very easy way to have the NPCs detect and understand what was on a scroll with out it having been planned.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

HUZZAH! My idea is good! :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

NPCs don't have to understand it could just be a lark.

So all we need to do is choose an Imperial town and start right away

any ideas on were I'm going to make and interior cell that works as an office with a libary of tax records upstairsn

hey maybe by a certain rank you get your own office

I'll build the basic offices with a few private rooms and any scripting or NPCs can be added from there

If someone could post up NPCs with boring names that would be great refere to the post on naming NPCs or open any roman textbook

Unfortunately I don't know how to make the guild person who gives you handles advancement and suchforth so If someone could make him/her that would be great