Old Ebonheart

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

it did yesterday, now it is gone.

-Starcrunch
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

It was a modular Imperial building set. Don't worry, I'll get ahold of it.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Okay, for the first time I opened the latest version of Old Ebonheart, and really took a good, long look at it, from the perspective of a reviewer. Haplo and Wooty, I'm almost sorry to say it, but you guys have done an excellent job of turning the greatest Imperial city in Morrowind into an eyesore. This claim has more errors in it than anything I have ever seen before. Walls do not match up, meshes are bleeding all over the place, the styles are horridly inconsistent, and the entire city has little rhyme or reason.
The bottom line is, going by Tamriel Rebuilt standards, Old Ebonheart is nowhere near what it needs to be. And I realize that this is in-progress, but you said yourself that most of it is finished, and the "finished" parts are unacceptable. Somewhere along the line of Old Ebonheart's series of a dozen or so owners, somebody messed it up bad (my guess is Bladmand), and all sucessive owners failed to fix it.
This may make me sound like an asshole, but I don't claim to be otherwise. After a few hours of trying to fix the literally hundreds of errors in this claim, I came to the conclusion that it is too broken to fix. I want to literally pave the claim and start from scratch. Alone.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

that's exactly what i've been saying for past 6 moths atleast...
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

erm, the version you have is the state of old ebonheart before haplo claimed it, and right after vegor dropped it. I have said it countless times, because of that hard drive crash last month NONE of my work at that point except 6-26 survived in any way at all. Also, the only download haplo has ever released (that I know of) was compressed buggily.

Also,
I want to literally pave the claim and start from scratch. Alone.
would you reconsider this somewhat? I know there are countless errors, but I would reccomend to keep the whole star-shaped fort thing. Dont pave ALL of it in other words, though quite a bit should get a trip to the recycle bin. Also, would you reconsider the last word there at all? the city definitely wont work if its in halves, although a "layer" system would work quite well (ex. - one guy does basic buildings, next does detail on buildings, original guy does detail around buildings, second guy does final detail/wilderness).
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

I agree some parts are salvageable, but I think it might be best to start all over. You cannot keep building on old ruins, sometimes you just have to bulldoze it all and start from scratch. No matter how unlogical it sounds, sometimes it's the fastest way and I think in this case, it is. Although I have put a bit of time into it (which is nothing compared to what others have put into it), I'd find it no problem if it's redone and redone well.

As you said Dexter, the "finished parts" are nowhere near as they should be, it's the same as I noticed. I tried to make something out of it but soon realized it was almost impossible without trashing it too much and this was something I didn't want to do. However, if you feel you are up to it, then I hope everyone will agree with you and I most certainly hope you can turn this ruined pile of rocks into the city of splendour it should be.

And whether it's done alone or not, that doesn't matter, as long as the style is consistent and all is done well.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

now I can bow in without too much shame :-D This is the feeling I had and experienced more and more towards the further part of my claim. That was why I was handing the whole thing over to dex soon, so that he could have free reign and not have to deal with wondering if he was matched with me. I'm officially giving my half to dexter now. Here's the curren't up-to-date version...

(also in the data files for TES:CS, when you load the OE claim of mine, I have made by TR Team, and underneath lists all the people who, to my knowledge, worked on OE.)

PS - I've checked this one, so it SHOULD be OK.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Would you consider keeping the star shape? Its excellent looking, practical, and historically accurate in terms of fort construction.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

erm, the version you have is the state of old ebonheart before haplo claimed it, and right after vegor dropped it.
No it isn't. The version I have is what Haplo emailed me as soon as I got your half. He told me it was his most up-to-date version at the time. That was about a month ago.
I am changing the element of the star-shaped fortress. There is no lore supporting it, and it looked hideous in the CS. I tried to improve on the shape of the fortress, but discovered that one cannot make a star-shaped fortress look good. I am changing it to be pentagonal, and it will represent the training grounds of the Legion.
And no, I am not going to have other modders work on this the way Haplo and Wooty did. I am going to do the exterior, totally, by myself. I will then hand it over to Hermit, who will act as a pre-reviewer. He will fix any errors he finds (or if he wants, he can just tell me what they are and I will fix them), and send it back to me, where I will go through with a fine-toothed comb again. After that, it will be ready for reviewing. And keep in mind, the Female, who is not too bad of a modder herself, will be able to give it playtests and CS reviews at the drop of a hat.
But I've made up my mind, and am starting from scratch right......

...now
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Hope you're ready for the long haul.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I cant wait to see the result. I was looking forward to doing the town's gardens and courtyards, but with one person working on it, OE will probably be much better off... just try imagining what narsis would be like if prometheus divided it among 3 people. :shock:
there you go.
I wish you very well on this city, and I hope that you succeed where me and many others failed.

Just one thing though, the final interior count (forts and their towers count as one interior) should be in the eighties. OE is mighty indeed, but certainly no mightier than the dunmeri capitals of the province, which have similar (if not slightly higher) counts.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

The Star Shape is only a design brought into the contruction of forts in the age of long range cannons and such, which are not very common in Tamriel atm, much less when OE was first built. I think it is good the Dexter will have full control, and that he can redo whatever and all of it if he wishes, I am sure that OE will be excellent.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Everyone - Please goto the other Old Ebonheart thread. This one is no longer being updated.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined