Elsweyr

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

I am not say that it is bad to do so, but first draw inspiration from the Elderscrolls World before our world.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

The pyramid at giza are extensively related to astronomy. For one thing they are set out in the same pattern as the belt of Orion and several of their chambers and corridors would have been aligned to other constellations at the time they were built.

As for the Pyramids as I said they are just carins on a bigger scale. The Egyptians started out with just carins to mark graves then they started to make bigger ones until they started to make pyramids. It was just a matter of the richer people showing off.
[url=http://evilgreebo.tripod.com/]Get my other mods here[/url]
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Dont forget the religious significance of Moon Sugar in the Khajiit culture.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

It's like peyote . . . is moonsugar legal in Elsweyr, like peyote for Native Americans?
Only the prospect of death makes life worth living.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

I would assume it would be.....in fact thats prety much the only thing I could think of that may cause a Khajiit revolt, taking away their sacred sugar.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

I've been [url=http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/browse.php?dir=Evilgreebo]busy[/url].
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

those are AWESOME, but they look way too "blocky" (mainly the tower), and need more trim; plus more rounded doorways IMO. Also, I was thinking that they would need windows (which would probably be a seperate mesh) and much more texture variety.
to sum it up, they look awesome, but FAR from complete.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

evilgreebo wrote:I've been [url=http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/browse.php?dir=Evilgreebo]busy[/url].
Too neat and clean, sharp and professional. Too good to be Khajiiti. I imagine them to be more slapdash, rough. I'd buy it more if the stones were more worn looking, less uniform in color... and if parts were simply left in hollow ruin. Something that looked like it had been built in a day from different materials (eg kinds of rocks -- made with what was on hand), and left to weather for hundreds of years. Like the Khajiit built the town without putting too much thought into it, over the course of a week. And when something got broken, they just said "Hell with it. There are plenty of buildings. We'll just move down one." To my way of thinking, Khajiit are, more than anything else, lax.

Of course, I could be a tremendous prick and point out that the Khajiit that live in the northern deserts are supposedly nomadic (:

Cool models, though.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Spider

Post by Spider »

I really like these, the textures might need some help, but the meshes are pretty ideal. Sirwoot's right, I think they'll need windows. The exteriors might be more appropriate if instead of bare stone the building were given a stucco coating that was cracked and falling off in various patches. The stucco textures' cracks and painted on trim could be changed relativley easily. giving a wider variety of building selections from one mesh. If the doorways are a seperate mesh, many of these structures look like they could be stacked to create larger, multi-leveled buildings.

Again, these are awsome!
"More famous than Jesus, and better dressed than Santa Claus.
You won't find me down a chimney, and I wouldn't be caught dead on a cross.
So give me your money, because I deserve it more."
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

For now [url=http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/browse.php?img=Mesh_WIP_17.JPG&dir=Evilgreebo]Windows[/url] and I'm working on some better textures.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

THose windows would not work, they would have to be a material other than wood (which there is almost none of in elsweyr except for in the tenmar, which cannot be cut down due to some law), plus the black behind them looks quite... bad. My suggestion is to make the windows out of a different material and have them shut completely, that material being possibly just curtains or slate.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Canvas to keep thedust out would be nice.
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

[url=http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/Evilgreebo/Mesh_WIP_19.JPG]reed texture[/url] like this? Or would a more woven (like the baskets) look better.
evilgreebo

Post by evilgreebo »

Made a few changes and I think they are much better [url=http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/browse.php?img=Mesh_WIP_20.JPG&dir=Evilgreebo]now.[/url]
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Now that looks good. The lack of hinges look a bit wrong though, maybe some small ones or some heavy cloth ones would look nice.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Thats a great start. I would work on the texture maping around the doors and window frames to make it look more like they were built of stone rather than carved, work the texture a little to make the stones go with the direction of the building. And most definately make that pitched roof on the tower out of a diferent substance other than stone blocks.
-- Winston Churchill
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

Too good to be Khajiiti
I definetly agree there , but not for the too good but for the style , that is too blocky and similar to the egyptian mastabas , I guess may be becouse i am the only one to have noticed the Rackshash similitude of the khajiits and so to a hindu cultural style , especially the one of the sind desert.... is a ood work , but not adapt for this race i suppose.....
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

yeah, I was thinking this would be good for more reclusive parts of hammerfell or Rimmen, not khajiit.

Khajiit architechture would basically be rounded adobe IMO, no rough blocky edges to be found anywhere.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

perhaps using something like the redish color ruins in morrowind? you know the ones whith the missing roof.only changing the color slightly and making the bricks a little more aperent.
PS- Im an expert on egypt.
_LN_
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Suhn Tarsis

Post by Suhn Tarsis »

I like the idea about Egypt, but i think that there should be a class structure, richer Khajiits should live in large metropolitan Egypt style cities, while the agricultural, or poorer khajiits are more nomadic living in the vast northern plains, border region, like nomads or mongolic types.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

For Khajiit architecture, I would think it is mostly made of mudbrick and sandstone, probably in very rectangular buildings. Similar to Hlaalu in design, actually, but more rigid and crude looking.
By the way, why is there an Elsweyr thread and not a Skyrim thread?
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Suhn Tarsis

Post by Suhn Tarsis »

Hmmmm, don't know. theres bits and pieces of what should be a skyrim thread all over the provence forum.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

wut was this i hear? something about the architexture being too good to be Khajiit? goes to show how much people know about Khajit. well, let me explain a bit about the Khajit in Elsweyr. In morrowind, u may only play as the Suthay Khajiit, which are the thieves of the khajiit family. u people didn't ACTUALLY THINK that Elsweyr is a nation of thieves and moonsugar drugies did u? whomever brought up this idea should be scourged. let me brighten u up on a bit of khajiit lore:

the suthay are not the only type of khajiit in existence; there are 9 other types:

-the cathay: warrior oriented khajit, very muscular.
-the cathay-raht: much more buff than the Cathay and posses less speed (the ideal bouncer)
-the alfiq: this type of khajiit is practically the same size as a house cat. it cannot talk any common tong, but van understand VERY well.
-the dagi: this breed lives in the southern regions of elsweyr, they have very short fur and some are even hairless.
-The Mane: these are the arcane and spiritual leaders of the Khajiit. they serve as priests, sorcerers and wut not.
-ohmes: this breed takes on many many characteristics of the bosmer, they live in the waters if i am not mistaken.

now, i can keep explaining all the other breeds, but i think this is enought to enlighten u. SO, i hope now u people understand that the suthay are only like, wut, 10% of elsweyr's population? this country is a mix bag. so having block architecture is perfectly fine. they are in many ways like like the egyptians.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Actually, in Morrowind you play as the Suthay-Raht.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

arent they the same thing?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

arent they the same thing?

and besides, that is not the point. i am just trying to say that elsweyr is a great nation. just like egypt was in ancient times. therefor u cant really say that such and such is too good for them.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

The Suthay are smaller and weaker versions of the Suthay-Raht.

The Raht part means that they are more bestial and larger.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

u people didn't ACTUALLY THINK that Elsweyr is a nation of thieves and moonsugar drugies did u?
Actually, the Khajiit - all Khajiit - worship moonsugar. It is part of their religion, in a similar way that marijuana is part of the Rastafarian religion.
And the Khajiit are probably nothing like the Egyptians in architecture or culture. Just because they both live in a hot, sand-filled region does not make them similar. The Khajiit probably have either mudbrick or sandstone houses shaped in very rigid rectangular formats, or dome-like structures similar to the domes on the Dunmer strongholds, made of mudbrick. The dome house would be better suited for the desert, as it would be more resistant to the harsh winds.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Oh, and please check your facts. Unless I am very mistaken indeed, there are 16 breeds of Khajit. As for all khajiti being thieves, no, but in Khajiti culture the term 'thief' has a highly positive connotation.
i think this is enought to enlighten u.
I appreciate your goal to 'enlighten' us, but next time, please do not 'enlighten' us with false information :P .
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i agree with u dexter. but moonsugar in morrowind is different then moonsugar in elsweyr. in terms that in morrowind, moonsugar is illegal. there for it is much harder to get your hands on it. therefor it is somewhat a major gift if u do get ure hands on it. not to menshion it is probably more expensive because it is so much less common. and then there is moon sugar in Elsweyr, which is still very precious but u can imagin that it is much easier to get. and then the thing about the egyptian archetecture. yes, mud brick houses are very khajiit like. though, saying that a certain building is to good for khajiits is nothing less then an insult. i was just angree that people would say that. saying that it isn't khajiit like is ok, but never say that it is to good for them. and the Suthay-Raht that live in morrowind are much more sneaky since it is not their home land.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Moonsugar is moonsugar, no matter where you are. Just because it is more difficult to get ahold on in Morrowind does not make it a different substance. The Khajiit use moonsugar in their rituals. It is blatantly obvious that the Morrowind Khajiit share their Elsweyr brethren's love for moonsugar. One of their voice greetings is "Our sugar is yours". How much more simple could it be?
and then the thing about the egyptian archetecture. yes, mud brick houses are very khajiit like. though, saying that a certain building is to good for khajiits is nothing less then an insult.
First off, Khajiit aren't real, so wer aren't insulting anyone. And I never said a certain building was too good for the Khajiit. Rather, I said that the mudbrick dome would be one of their best options. It would not make sense for the Khajiit to have towering structures in the middle of the desert. What purpose would they serve? The Egyptians built the pyramids only because in their religion, having that sort of burial tomb would guarantee the Pharoah a better afterlife. The Khajiit do not share such a belief. Large structures - especially in terms of height - do not fit in with lore or common sense.
i was just angree that people would say that. saying that it isn't khajiit like is ok, but never say that it is to good for them. and the Suthay-Raht that live in morrowind are much more sneaky since it is not their home land.
Got any proof of that? I would think that since the Suthay-Rahts in Elsweyr are more sneaky since they are in their homeland. In Morrowind, the Khajiit are out of their element, and must consider so much more than the Khajiit in Elsweyr.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

-The Mane: these are the arcane and spiritual leaders of the Khajiit. they serve as priests, sorcerers and wut not.
There is only one Mane at any given time though they are considered spiritual leaders many consider them to be THE leader of the Khajiit.
-ohmes: this breed takes on many many characteristics of the bosmer, they live in the waters if i am not mistaken.
No they do not live in water. It is either the Ohmes or the Ohmes-Raht that were featured in Daggerfall. There is some debate as to which, but the most popular oppinion is Ohmes-Raht.
Actually, the Khajiit - all Khajiit - worship moonsugar. It is part of their religion, in a similar way that marijuana is part of the Rastafarian religion.
Not exactly. The Khajiit worship the 3 moons and beleive that moon sugar is a gift from the moons (hence the name moon sugar). I would compare it more closely to peote in many native american religions.
-- Winston Churchill
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Not exactly. The Khajiit worship the 3 moons and beleive that moon sugar is a gift from the moons (hence the name moon sugar). I would compare it more closely to peote in many native american religions.
You're right. That was bad wording on my part. The analogy is still a good one though. The Rastafarians believe that marijuana helps one gain wisdom, and it is used to help get one closer to God. They believe that it was growing at the grave of King Soloman, and that it also has a few other references in scripture. So the Rastafarians don't exactly WORSHIP marijuana, but it has a place in their religion.
I imagine the Khajiit are the same way with moonsugar. It is not the subject of their worship, but is a staple in their religion.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Suhn Tarsis

Post by Suhn Tarsis »

ha, I had no idea Khajiits were so complex, I'm much more interested in them now.
Bozhe Tsarya Khrani
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

yey, another khajiit obsest freak come into are feline family. anyhow. i know of the Mane prophecies. dont worry.
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

<edited to remove 'spam' content>
Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

I agree with stumpy for the most part, though I do think that in cities like Senchal or Torval they'd be pretty impressive above-ground cities. The Khajit themselves might not characteristically make the buildings, but with the Empire there and all, I think the cities would be fairly large and above the sands.
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

I agree with Stumpy, underground houses are much cooler.
(Wow, you must have always gotten an A in english, Stumpy)
Suhn Tarsis

Post by Suhn Tarsis »

I'll third the underground house, it does make more sense.
Bozhe Tsarya Khrani
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

We need some "underground house door frames" because trap doors just wouldn't look good.