Realistic ocean

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Locutus

Realistic ocean

Post by Locutus »

If this has been discussed before, I apologize. I'm new. And I couldn't find this specifically discussed using the search utility.

Anyway, one of the few peevs I have with Morrowind (the game as released by Bethesda, not the province being worked on by TR) is that the ocean has hardly any surface motion. There should be waves, swells, breakers, foam, storms, floating seaweed, seabirds, etc. I'm just starting to learn to mod so I have no idea if such features are even possible. But if it is possible, I submit it as an idea to incorporate into TR. Comments, anyone?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

the water animations are hardcoded I believe.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
G.M.K.

Post by G.M.K. »

Ya there not musch we can do about that. What I'd like to see are some more aquatic creatures although I know some are in the works now.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Not much we can do about that, though I do believe we could make ponds and stuff much more interesting (though I doubt we will.)
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

someone could make activators similer to dongles water to make waves
G.M.K.

Post by G.M.K. »

The problem with that is the same reason that ponds can't go over your head, it's fake water and it won't act like water.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Yes, but you can put all the interesting stuff you want over the ponds (like sludge).
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

yeah, in my claim there is a large muck-lake (about 1/3 cell) that I made, and the way i'm making it is as dead-realistically-accurate as possible; modelled after small marshes along the missisippi river (which is near my home).
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Instead of making the surface realistic.. lets concentrate on the barren wasteland that is the ocean around mainland Morrowind. The lack of sea life and sea statics on our group maps, immediately makes our work recognisable from Bethesda's...and not in a good way. Its as if people think their claim doesn't include anything underwater.
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

I was just going to say, we could make animated waves, and fairly easily.

If any of you have played Far Cry, what they did was they had reflecto-pretty water, and then a map for waves.

http://farcry.gamesweb.com/ps_gfx/screens/cat2screen151g.jpg

You can see it on the water's edge. If we can make a few different opacity mapped white waves like this, that animate rolling in and out, we could make oceans. Same for rivers, we could make trailing white wakes around rocks, white-water rapids, etc.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

But...farcry was made using a diff. engine than TESIII Morrowind
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

I know, but the thing is that all that we need is an opacity map that looks like surf, similar to Dongle's water, and we can mimick the effect that they got in Far Cry.
Flufy

Post by Flufy »

there is a water depth changer thing in mornhold.
I dont know if it works for extiriors but if it does you could make tides baced on the time of day
shandrazi

Post by shandrazi »

The water level change function only works on interiors.
-Shandrazi Demonsbane

http://forums.tamriel-rebuilt.org/search.php
G.M.K.

Post by G.M.K. »

I think it's to much work to add waves and stuff like that, but I agree with Morden. Even Bethseda Ocean (which was the dullest and most repetitive part of Morrowind) is better than most of the TR ocean stuff.
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

it would look strange with waves and stuff everywhere but Vvardenfell wouldent it?