The new site admin recruitment post

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

The new site admin recruitment post

Post by Zephyr »

Hey,

I'm going to leave my post as the webmaster in one week. This means that I don't want to update the site anymore. I want to do other stuff than write thousands of lines of code for a website. Perhaps something that I might actually get a kick out of. Anyway, I'm sure it's not updating the claims browser for a millionth time or adding new features to the forums.

However, I'm sure that some of you are interested in this job. Think of the glory you'll have, holding an administrator's title and all the incredible power of php and sql on your fingertips!

Yes, php! That's something you've got to know if you want to apply for this position. I don't mean that you have to know it on the level of hello world, you really have to be able to use it and maintain existing code.

My code on this website is mostly commented and the website itself is based on phpbb, a forum software that's obviously open source, being php and everything. There's a couple of 3rd party mods installed, but most of the modding is my own. Some of it is better than other stuff, but as a site admin, you need to be able to fix whatever errors you find by debugging them and fixing them. You need to have your own test server so you don't break forums database by wonderful SQL query experiments, slow the site down with strange and explosive php scripts or something silly like that.

If you don't know php but are an experienced programmer, php is an easy language to learn. Just look up on web security issues and try to avoid them. The syntax itself is easy enough and the help files for php are probably the best for any language, ever. There's examples of everything on the help files themselves and you can find more on php.net.

Furthermore, an experience of (X)HTML and javascript are needed too. However, if you already know php, you must know these far more basic tools of web programming anyhow. There's some leet stuff like php generating javascript dynamically, but not too much of it. I'm sure some of you know how to make really pretty websites and all that jazz, but that's just not enough. You also need how to program and maintain the site.

This all sounds like an ad from a newspaper. I wish I could add something like, "please state your salary request". But it's all for fun. I had fun with it, but I really can't do that anymore. I hope one of you will.
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

I haven't spoken about this to many people, but I'm very interested in this job. Currently I'm following a 4 year IT study (i'm in my second year). My main experience lies with java, and I have decent experience with SQL. I'm currently learning php, which turns out to be quite easy when you know java or c.

However, my experience as a webmaster is rather limited. I'm currently building my own website in order for me to gain some experience. I'm not yet confident enough to apply for the job, and i'm going to france for 2 weeks soon. But I am working on it. Give me about a month and I should be ready for this job.

If you find someone esle in the meantime thats fine, or if you don't want me thats fine too. But i'm hereby offering my services.

P.S. I do have my own testserver.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus
Location: That big place next to the smaller place with the tree.

Post by Morgoth »

I have a site:
[url]http://www.geocities.com/bow_hunter023/index.htm[/url]

Some forums:
[url]http://s11.invisionfree.com/The_Ancient_Realms/index.php?act=idx[/url]

Pretty? No. Functional? Quite. The site is under construction, only the Forums and Main page have really been worked on. The other links do work, but I haven't gathered all the things that need to be added to them yet. When I do, rest assurred they will work as well. It took XHTML, CSS, and some Java to put that together. (It was all hard code, no Weaver or Frontpage.) The Java hasn't been added, but I'm using it for the nav tables I'll add later on. They also function, but if I added them now it would still be empty. The forums were nothing to build, I could do more but it's all free and I'm too lazy (and broke) to upgrade. I'm not exactly applying for the position, as I'm sure Amrod probably knows more, but this is to show I'm fairly competant, if TR needs a hand in the future.
Founder of the Realms of Renth. Please give us a visit!

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4640/sigbannerap7.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Morgoth wrote:I have a site:
[url]http://www.geocities.com/bow_hunter023/index.htm[/url]

Some forums:
[url]http://s11.invisionfree.com/The_Ancient_Realms/index.php?act=idx[/url]

Pretty? No. Functional? Quite. The site is under construction, only the Forums and Main page have really been worked on. The other links do work, but I haven't gathered all the things that need to be added to them yet. When I do, rest assurred they will work as well. It took XHTML, CSS, and some Java to put that together. (It was all hard code, no Weaver or Frontpage.) The Java hasn't been added, but I'm using it for the nav tables I'll add later on. They also function, but if I added them now it would still be empty. The forums were nothing to build, I could do more but it's all free and I'm too lazy (and broke) to upgrade. I'm not exactly applying for the position, as I'm sure Amrod probably knows more, but this is to show I'm fairly competant, if TR needs a hand in the future.
Thats cool man, I'm guessing we both want the best for TR. I might be better at programming, but you likely are better at webdesign as I don't know CSS and XHTML that well yet.

I don't care who gets the postion eventually, I just want to help. If I do end up becomming the webmaster, i'll be sure to ask for your help on CSS and XHTML. It's not like this is a competition.

You are head of the concept department, for which we also need competent people ;). I couldn't do that for sure, as I can't draw for shite. So I'm not sure if you want the position of webmaster. From what I learned from experience and heard from zephyr its quite a bit of work. Not saying you couldn't do it, but doing both seems like alot.

Anyway, its good to see there other people who have experience in webdesign here at TR.

Cheers

EDIT:

I meant that I'd rather have morgoth stay at the art department, because that is already very small, but yet its important as it helps moddelers and inspires just about everyone else.
Last edited by Amrod on Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

Well Amrod, he would leave the post of Art Moderator then. But I think that was more a future notice, but dnt take my word for it. id' love him to become webmaster.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

I believe Lutemoth will be here to help ease Morgoth's CA load in the future, so I don't see any reason why Morgoth and Amrod can't work together and share resources like that.

A new front page to our website should probably trump concerns of Concept Art at this point: the modellers have enough back-logged art to work on to keep us busy for quite some time, whereas a new front page can start generating interest and new subscriptions as soon as it's up.
"My dear, I believe that Cheirotherium's footsteps are undoubtedly testudinal."
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Eyeball88 wrote:I believe Lutemoth will be here to help ease Morgoth's CA load in the future, so I don't see any reason why Morgoth and Amrod can't work together and share resources like that.

A new front page to our website should probably trump concerns of Concept Art at this point: the modellers have enough back-logged art to work on to keep us busy for quite some time, whereas a new front page can start generating interest and new subscriptions as soon as it's up.
Indeed, no reason why there can't be two webmasters. A new front page should be high on the priority list, and will most likely be more of a "design" thing then that it will be complicated code. Then again, it's all up to morgoth and what he wants to do.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

I love web-design. One of my favorite hobbies. I'd be glad to help with the graphics side of things. I'm working on a design right now, in fact. Amrod would certainly be better than me at coding.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

I have absolutely no web experience, which is why I want to thank you, Zephyr, for all your hard work keeping this place up and running over the years. I appreciate it a lot, as, I am sure, do most people here.

Thank you.
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Zalzidrax wrote:I have absolutely no web experience, which is why I want to thank you, Zephyr, for all your hard work keeping this place up and running over the years. I appreciate it a lot, as, I am sure, do most people here.

Thank you.
I absolutly forgot to say that! I appreciate the hard work that went into running this place and I also see why you want to quit. Good luck!
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i less then three you zeph. not only for all the webmastering youve done for us, but also for all the modding, writing, general contributing, great times on IRC, and being a great friend. well miss you alot, hope to see ya around tr despite not being web master.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Zalzidrax wrote:I have absolutely no web experience, which is why I want to thank you, Zephyr, for all your hard work keeping this place up and running over the years. I appreciate it a lot, as, I am sure, do most people here.

Thank you.
I was rather waiting for a farewell thread, but as this seems to be it, I would also like to thank you for all of the things you've done for TR. Also, thanks for dealing with my art questions when I was a noob, and your help with the logos. It was truly a pleasure talking with you over my nearly one year of being here. Good luck with life, and have fun!

www.realmsofrenth.com
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

Thanks Zephyr,

Never seen you much and stuff, but you are like the guy in the centre of the earth with all the arms making everything happen and fixing everything. Although admittedly the guy isn't dong a great job with global warming at the moment. So I am sure there has been a point at which we have bumped into each other. Always busy fixing the little problems around here, you should be incredibly pleased with yourself, because I am sure, not just me but all the members here are extremely pleased with you. And pats on the back are aplenty, but the kind of endurance you have exercised here (as in putting up with it for so long :P) deserves more.

A Pound on the ass, courtesy of Noir.

:P

But seriously, fantastic job you've been doing, and good luck in the future. I bet you won't need it.

P.S I think you are actually leaving and not just stepping down from your post, otherwise I have just posted the most heartfelt post for no reason.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Zeph, thanks for being around for-freakin'-ever and dealing with all of the squabbling and hair-pulling site glitches. TR simply wouldnt exist without your 1337playaskillz.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

So, I suggest Amrod be made into Site Admin, and I'll be his junior secretary. (When time for designing rolls around, you can bet I'll make time for it.) Because already some site glitches have been pointed out.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Well Amrod's going away for two weeks really soon (like in a day) if he hasn't already, I think.

Edit - Make that Friday X-P
Last edited by Haplo on Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Haplo wrote:Well Amrod's going away for two weeks really soon (like in a day) if he hasn't already, I think.
No i'm still here until friday. I heard Zeph say on IRC that he's at least going to stay to help the new admin with the server and such. I'd not want to make him wait, he's already done so much for TR.

It's all up to Zeph and the rest of the core, but if you can get me worked in before friday, i'll definatly be able to give 200% after my holidays. Because i'll be all rested and highly motivated for this job.

I don't know about the 2 weeks though, it's not a huge time to be without an admin. Otherwise you can also have morgoth fill in for me those 2 weeks.

Besides that I have access to a laptop during my holidays. No internet, but i'll be able to work on my HTML/CSS/PHP/SQL some more.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

I just wanna say that even if you have no idea what's going on in Zeph's code you can easily figure it out by his comments. His code rocks and beleive me. I've seen enough of bad code as of lately. And I hate Indian programmers now. No, I really do.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Amrod
Developer Emeritus

Post by Amrod »

Stalker wrote:I just wanna say that even if you have no idea what's going on in Zeph's code you can easily figure it out by his comments. His code rocks and beleive me. I've seen enough of bad code as of lately. And I hate Indian programmers now. No, I really do.
I saw zephs code and it has all these weird dollar signs in it ($), please help?

Just kidding ;).
wishmaster

Post by wishmaster »

Well, elect me as the administrator, and I assure you this site will crash in 2 days :)
Arondil Rethan

Post by Arondil Rethan »

Exp in HTML, CSS, bit of JavaScript... Meaning, that php would be just one face in the crowd... Damn..

Wake me up, after I'm passed out...

This would be the million dollar chance to me...

*passes out*

In other words - yea, I'll apply
Scott MacDonald

Post by Scott MacDonald »

I would totally aplie if i knew more than basic C++ and HTML and random stuff like that, so I say there is only one fair way to choose this postition...

MORTAL KOMBAT!