Time Sensitivity

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Kiruvi

Time Sensitivity

Post by Kiruvi »

Just a thought: One of the things that bugs me severley about Morrowind is the lack of any time-context usage. In Arena, shops closed and people left the streets after dark. In Morrowind, nothings changes for the entire 24-hour clock cycle. If Marsus Tillius was standing out in the middle of the Molag Amur region at 1:00pm on the 3rd of Hearth Fire, he'll still be at 1:00am six months later. Stores never close, and the proprietors stand at their post 24/7. People don't move around and do things at different times of day. The staticness adds a dimension of fakeness to the game.
So, getting on to the question. Is this something that can be done with this mod to add extra depth (i.e., certain quests can only be completed after dark during certain months, or like in Arena, when quests expire after a time), or is that too complex scripting/coding?

Here's a situation:
The character (Let's call him Steve. It's a pretty name.) walks into the bar at 3:00pm. A man who is only in the bar from 2:00pm, when he leaves his home, until 5:00pm when he goes to his store to take the late shift. He wants his competitor's list of suppliers so he can compete with his prices. You'll have to break into the guy's house when he leaves for the bar at 7:00pm, and get out before he comes home at 9:00. You have one week to finish, or the man will be forced out of business, and his store will close.

If this is too complicated to script with Morrowind, or perhaps somebody's already said this, or it's just a silly idea, let me know. It's just one of those little things that bugs me, so I'll hop off the soap box now. Have an evening of pleasantries.
This space intentionally left blank.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

You have not played Oblivion, have you?
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

Macar wrote:You have not played Oblivion, have you?
No. Kiruvi has only played Morrowind and Arena. Check the other thread.

I know that a Morrowind mod for a scripted timetables for NPCs already exists somewhere on the internet.
As for the amount and quality of scripting in Morrowind TR, I can say nothing about that, as I am not involved with it.

Does Steve have a friend called Adam? :)
Kiruvi

Post by Kiruvi »

Nope, no Oblivion yet, but not for lack of trying. It just irked me that there was time sensitivity in DOS Arena but not in Morrowind. Just venting, y'know.
This space intentionally left blank.
The_Black_Horse_Courier

time

Post by The_Black_Horse_Courier »

There is a way.....

This also would clutter your data files area, but if you use these mods in combo, it would make it feel more time related.

Modmans lock doors 1.1

locks all shops up. except mournhold and bloodmoon i think.

there is a mod that i made that relies on heavy scripting that enables and disables NPCs at certain times in certain random places, and yes the shop owners have their own homes if they aint got one onsite.

all guards have names and own their own homes/rent their own flats.

so ya, while they can only move around, i am scripting a way for them to use doors specially scripted for npcs to use as well.