'Tis Pity She's a Courtesan

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Harke the Apostle
Developer

'Tis Pity She's a Courtesan

Post by Harke the Apostle »

Daggerfall was meant to have prostitution, Morrowind had its House of Earthly Delights. What will Hammerfell offer in the way of 'entertainment'?
As I understand it.The Courtesans Guild as a faction is out, so lets not discuss that here.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

wtf mate
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Sorry, but since when was 'prostitution' a TR staple, or a requirement for any mod? :P
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Prostitution is a staple of any society. Oldest profession besides 'hunter'.

I would imagine that the Dura Ungai have a nice racket going, and that it might be fun to either have that in the background, allow the player to pimp for a while, or just have you stamping out a rival freelance pimp.
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

I thought there was a concubine market in Rihad, but we decided it would be fairly civilised Geisha type stuff.
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Well, we obviously shouldn't put anything interactive of this nature into the mod, but I also agree with what Jale (Welcome back, btw) and Orix said.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Harke the Apostle wrote:Daggerfall was meant to have prostitution, Morrowind had its House of Earthly Delights. What will Hammerfell offer in the way of 'entertainment'?
Let's have nudey bars in port cities. Or at least one in one of them - Gilane sounds good.
Jale wrote:Prostitution is a staple of any society. Oldest profession besides 'hunter'.
What about midwivery?
I would imagine that the Dura Ungai have a nice racket going, and that it might be fun to either have that in the background, allow the player to pimp for a while, or just have you stamping out a rival freelance pimp.
Lame IMO. That would just make them a generic criminal organisation. As I see it, we have to ways to go with it. One is to attach it to a criminal organisation; the second is to make it a legitimate and respected (enough) profession.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'd like for it to be a known yet accepted/tolerated thing, yet not so public that it totally dominates a guild questline or something. I'd prefer it be one of those things you can't find unless you go looking for it. (You know... don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you)

And yeah, it should be at least somewhat sophisticated.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

I would think that an honourable mafia-type group of Redguards would be against prostitution, and so an early quest where you have to go and beat up and intimidate a pimp would be good. 'Keep our city clean for good crimes.'

And nah midwivery came later after people got worried about infant mortality.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

1. Prostitution is a perfectly respectable profession in traditional raga society.

2. The Dura Ungai is not honerable.

3. Concubines.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Sload wrote:1. Prostitution is a perfectly respectable profession in traditional raga society.

2. The Dura Ungai is not honerable.

3. Concubines.
Fair enough.

My point about pimpslapping stands though.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i dont see pimping as a whole quest line, but something like a single quest about a evil pimp and a poor, inocent ho' would be cool.

and yes, i think the concubines are going to be one of the main sourses of the expicit sex factor in hammerfell. more implicitly, all of hammerfell is much more sexed up then cyrodiil. the warmer weather alows for skimpier clothing, and apperal of all kinds is much more focused on the looks then it was in cyrodiil (and morrowind)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Lady Nerevar wrote:i dont see pimping as a whole quest line, but something like a single quest about a evil pimp and a poor, inocent ho' would be cool.
My opinion exactly.

Also a few Imperial NPCs complaining about this 'Godless' behaviour would be appropriate.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I'd be more in favor of it not even being part of any quest line. Although I can think of some funny dialogue... Anyway IMO it should be more of a background thing. It should be known about and accepted, albeit grudgingly in some circles. Maybe include a little background story like an Imperial priest preaching about the sins of the flesh or something like that. It adds character to the city but I dont think it should really be interacted with.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

I can already see the first quest about this; "Retrieve my panties" or something along those lines.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I retract my former statement because I had the best quest idea.

Ok, so a courtesan was called on to entertain a wealthy married man. The man doesn't want his wife to find out what he was up to so he recruits you to get rid of some incriminating evidence (i.e. undergarmets).

Actually no, I stick by what I said earlier.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Lord Paladas

Post by Lord Paladas »

Why not leave it as an 'accepted' thing (like what Haplo said) and leave it to some group of nose-poking priests (like the Forgottens Daedric quest where you extinguish the torches so the idiot group of would-be converters get mugged while screaming "Akatosh save me!" and the Big Man Above does nothing) spending a majority of their day standing outside this 'tolerated' services building, preaching blah-blah-blah, and the harrassed pimp (not a real 'bad' person, more like Snoop Dogg than anything) wants you to help him out, hmm? Or maybe make this group of priests in other towns as well, while making up for an attempt at a wide-spread extinction of this 'sin'.

By all means, make this 'service' (non-interactive) spread in more than one place throughout Hammerfell. By all means, make an evil S.O.B. pimp you need to 'straighten out'. And BY ALL MEANS, make more than just a few little iotas of side quests and make it more of a 'help this unjoinable faction out' thing than a simple 'im only one poor guy in this situation' thing? i doesnt need to be a quest line, just a few scattered 'help me!' quests (2-5 in entire province).
"The Arena's faked. You think those guys are REALLY getting killed? Why, it's just berry syrup and ham acting."
-the Adoring Fan

"AIIEEE!"
-Tarhiel

"Why must you people always pick on the small ones?"
-random Wood Elf
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

This thread was dead. Please don't necromance threads.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo