[Morrowind] Map 1 Beta 2.0 Quest error reporting

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

theviking
Developer Emeritus

[Morrowind] Map 1 Beta 2.0 Quest error reporting

Post by theviking »

This thread is for reporting any errors you may find in the quests of map1.
Please tell us about any typos, grammar mistakes, lore inaccuracies, insufficient rewards, insufficient information, other quest flaws, etc.
Please give as much info as possible, for example, when you report a dialogue error, you should name the topic, or place it in a quote so we can find it.

Please use this format for posting errors:

----------------------
NPC: Please tell us the name of the NPC you found the error in, along with their location
Topic: For dialogue errors, please mention what topic the error was found in. Otherwise, just give the type: equipment/AI/etc
Error: Report the error here.
----------------------

For example,

----------------------
NPC: Eldale (Gah Sadrith, Eldale's chambers)
Error: she gives my Dunmer character this greeting: "Greetings, Khajiit"
----------------------

----------------------
Cell: Senillos Tulnus (Firewatch Palace, Knight Brother's quarters)
Error: He attacks my PC even though i haven't committed a crime.
-----------------------

It can be very helpful to use Morrowind's beta comment function to report errors. To enable this function, simply open up Morrowind.ini and find the line:

BetaCommentFile=

Change this to:

BetaCommentFile=BetaComment.txt
(You can name it anything you want, as long as it has the proper extension)

Then when you see an error, open up the console, click on the object (you should see it's ID in the title bar), and type

bc "This is wrong"
or something similar
A log will be created stating the time, place, exact position, cell, and your comment.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Tast
Developer

Post by Tast »

After performing a dozen or so quests, I stumbled upon my first error, and it is a minor one. You guys have done a fantastic job.

NPC: Any NPC in Ranyon-Ruhn
Error: When asked, NPC's tell the player that Breren Gildaren is a miner. However, the Journal update clains that Gildaren "Was a handyman at the Temple"
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Let's see....

----------------------
NPC: TR_m1_Polanna (Firewatch, The Silver Serpent)
Topic: AI
Error: She has no money to barter with, fools! :o
----------------------

----------------------
NPC: TR_m1_Hessei_Lig (Bal Oyra, Keep: Mages Guild Relay)
Topic: AI
Error: Offers no guild guide services to members of low rank. So, when taking the guild guide from Firewatch, one must walk to the Bal Oyra docks to get back to Firewatch.
----------------------

Anyways, 666th post \o/

According to post count... (That means "982nd post!" or even of a higher number if some of my posts have been hidden to places I have no access to.)

EDIT: Oh hey! I just noticed that this thread is about quests :o Sowwy....
Last edited by Andres Indoril on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

i checked out the silver serpent and i couldnt get out.
lock lvl 50 & trapped. why the hell is a store locked and trapped from the inside??
theviking and MowSkwoz have it in theirs... soo: "We need quest designers!" - Stolen From teh Cutness.

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

It's not a store, it's a private part of the inn. The captain's cabin should definitely be locked from the outside, though, not from the inside. I can't believe this hadn't been fixed...

Polanna has no money: normal. She's selling, not buying.

Hessei-Lig doesn't offer services: he did for me, with my test character that's not in the Vv. Mages Guild and has just been recruited in the Mainland Mages Guild. Edit -- he no longer does in the released version. I guess he's been promoted.

And I move that the last three posts (Andres, Gooch's and mine) be moved to a "World Error" thread by the next friendly local moderator who happens to read this thread.
Last edited by Gez on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Okay, Quest errors now :D

----------------------
NPC: Ratagos (Ranyon-Ruhn, Temple)
Location: "message to Port Telvannis" or something like that :p
Error: I do not get the gold nor the robe nor the journal entry for gaining the support of more than 10 commoners.
----------------------

----------------------
Scene: The battle between Mithras and Rathra's minion.
Error: The player does not regain their controls and Mithras does not use any spells which would damage Rathra's minion. So unless using the console, one can only wait for Mithras' death. I used the console though to kill the minion and then used forcegreeting on Mithras. Though he still didn't give me my controls back, so I had to type enableplayercontrols as well.
----------------------
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Andres Indoril wrote: Location: Ranyon-Ruhn's catacombs
Scene: The battle between Mithras and Rathra's minion.
Error: The player does not regain their controls and Mithras does not use any spells which would damage Rathra's minion. So unless using the console, one can only wait for Mithras' death. I used the console though to kill the minion and then used forcegreeting on Mithras. Though he still didn't give me my controls back, so I had to type enableplayercontrols as well.
----------------------
Could you elaborate here? What was your situation at that stage in the quest? Was Simeth with you? Was he following you/dead? Any and all details would be helpful.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

He was following me. And checking the CS, the enableplayercontrols were there in the dialogue, so I guess it was just a random bug.
HolaMayan

Post by HolaMayan »

NPC: Ansuma Veloth (Gah Ouadaruhn, Ansuma Veloth's House).
Error(?): Ansuma Veloth only greets me with the "quest initiating" sentence about the "strange woman" when I talk to him for the very first time. I said goodbye without clicking the "strange woman" topic and when I talked to him after that, he only had greetings like "Anything I can do for you...". "Strange woman" can only be found in the topics list then.
Vaportwo

Post by Vaportwo »

----------------------
NPC: Gindaman (Firewatch Palace, Guild of Mages)
Topic: Advancement
Error: After completing the four initial MG quests for Banviris, I couldn't get access to Gindaman's quest line (because he won't advance me past Journeyman rank). I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen like that, or if it's because I failed to speak to Gindaman about advancement until after completing Banviris' third quest. Either way, Banviris won't give me quests anymore, I can't get them from anyone else in the guild, and I'm not high enough rank to get them from Gindaman.
----------------------

My first post here BTW.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Vaportwo wrote:----------------------
<snip>
See here: [url]http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19970[/url]
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Silly symphonies

Telvannis Beta 2.0 comments

Post by Silly symphonies »

3/27/2008 (00:21) TR_Map1.esm 3/25/2008 (23:33) Eigenaar
TR_m1_Gorinia00000000 Firewatch (18,15) 148880 127420 507
"After opening the door to Gorinia's bedroom, I left the key on her bed, but at the completion of the quest her dialogue still said that the key from her house was removed from my inventiry"

3/31/2008 (00:39) TR_Map1.esm 3/26/2008 (00:33) Eigenaar
TR_m1_Gindaman00000000 Firewatch Palace, Guild of Mages 4360 4412 10306
"He gives me no quests before I reach rank X, for which I need to do more duties, but I already finished his assistant's duties. Or does this quest only work when one is already a Vvardenfell Mages' Guild member? Or do I have to wait for the other maps (2-6) to become available?"
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

^
|
|

for answer re: Gindaman.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

When I join the Guild of Mages as Vv archmage and start by doing Gindaman's quests, he gives me the ring of ineptitude that I supposedly gave to Banviris before I have completed any such quest for Banviris.

----

Fighters Guild: Find Mashug gro-Dugal
I found mr gro-Dugal and he told me about the trap. When I immediately talked to him again he thanked me for solving the problem and started following me around. I hadn't done anything to solve the problem. As he was following me, it took me a while to get him to stay on the platform long enough for me to exit the chamber. Finally I managed to get out and he was left trapped behind the magical barrier. When I exited Nassudan he was suddenly standing beside me thanking me for helping him out. Perhaps I should mention that I had visited Nassudan earlier and killed all the undead downstairs just for fun...
JennaK
TR Tester

Post by JennaK »

I have a question about the "Isle of Arches shrine ?" pilgramage for the Temple. Are you supposed to actually harvest(go in the water and fight slaughterfish)the fish scales? I could only find one to purchase and consoled in the others. (comment: Darn shrine was hard to find, lots of levitating!)
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Nalcarya of White haven in Balmora has all the ingredients you need for the pilgrimages. Otherwise, go fish!

JennaK
TR Tester

Post by JennaK »

I'm afraid to teleport back and forth to Vvardenfell. I guess I will have to try it and see how it can corrupt my files.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

To be fair Jenna, it's not like slaughterfish are hard to find. ;)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

JennaK
TR Tester

Post by JennaK »

I didn't want to get my new robe wet! (LOL)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

wogya wrote:When I join the Guild of Mages as Vv archmage and start by doing Gindaman's quests, he gives me the ring of ineptitude that I supposedly gave to Banviris before I have completed any such quest for Banviris.
For this one, the current fixer (whoever that is) should put a filter on Gindaman's quests at this point (I think this is the last one anyway) that requires Banviris' quests to be completed. If they're not, give some schpiel about how "Before I give you this final task, I would like to see you prove your loyalty to the Guild here in Firewatch. You should do what duties Banviris has availiable for you."
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

As for the second error in quest "Find Mashug gro-Dugal", just had to take a look in the CS to see what was supposed to happen... It appears that the error is in the dialogue filter for the greeting "Hey, you made it! That was an excellent plan ..." Once Mashug has explained the trap to the player (topic: trap, "The door opens whenever someone is standing ...", sets the journal to 20), he'll give this greeting whenever the force field is turned on.

And one more minor error. In Fighters guild: Muscle Green-Eyes, you get the journal entry saying "I have Green-Eyes' logbook, and it contains the incriminating evidence I need to stop the immoral testing." only if you obtain the book through the thieves guild. Would be nice to get it also if you sneak into Green-Eye's study yourself and pick up the book (TR_m1_sc_GreenEyesPoisonBook).
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

wogya wrote:As for the second error in quest "Find Mashug gro-Dugal", just had to take a look in the CS to see what was supposed to happen... It appears that the error is in the dialogue filter for the greeting "Hey, you made it! That was an excellent plan ..." Once Mashug has explained the trap to the player (topic: trap, "The door opens whenever someone is standing ...", sets the journal to 20), he'll give this greeting whenever the force field is turned on.
Are you sure? I was worried about that one myself and went to check in the CS, but that greeting should only go if Mashug's local 'state' is set to 1, which only happens when he's been told to get to the exit and is succesfully there. If you saw that his state was set to 1 somewhere else, could you please post that. I had a look, but couldn't find anything.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I am afraid this is the mysterious error I have already reported. I have also sugested some (though unelegant) solutions to it.
I am testing Mashug scripts by adding debug messages controling his variables. It seems that variable state in Mashug script is switched to 1 prematurely. It is not because the GetPos function would have wrong parametrs (it wasn't activated), so it must be somehow set externally by other running scripts. It happens just when the forcefield is activated that state of Mashug is set to 1 (= freed).
Strange, I cannot find this command anywhere in the forcefield script! Perhaps the 'demonstration' script? But why then the state is set to 1 even when the demonstration is over (added additional condition). Nor dialogue is guilty...
I can also try some tricks like disambiguing the variable state in all scripts (not a solution really, but perhaps there is some hard-coded bug in scripting language concerning multiple variable names), or reset Mashug state to 0, whenever his coordinates are inside the room (not very ellegant solution and might fail if you talk to Mashug before the variable is reset).
I will look for the source of the change of the variable further...

The additional condition fixes the problem, but somehow I have noticed that when the script is activate variable stuck should be switched at Mashug and it doesn't. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! If there was typo and instead of stuck state would be changed everything would be clear and give a sense. But it isn't. Perhaps I should create a new game to test this as my savegame might have messed addresses of variables somehow. Somebody else have a look at this please.
(Goal - tell Mashug to step of the platform and have the forcefield activated. Then he should: 1) Not consider himself freed. 2) Say it is not possible if you order him to go to the exit.)
THEO
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Here's one elegant one. See what happens if you change the variable 'state' in TR_m1_q_MashugShowTrap to any other variable (call it anything not already called by Mashug's script).

Then see what happens.

I presume this thing only happens if you speak to him immediately after he shows you the trap, right?

And Theo, are you the guy currently doing fixes, right? Make sure you change Gah Ouadaruhn's name and all references to it to Llothanis. (This includes any "GO"s, such as journal indexes and reference names, which should become "Ll"s. This will require script updates etc, but is what the team have agreed on) I've done similar things in the past when journal names were'nt correctly syntaxed. It's a bit boring, but it will be worth it.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:
wogya wrote:As for the second error in quest "Find Mashug gro-Dugal", just had to take a look in the CS to see what was supposed to happen... It appears that the error is in the dialogue filter for the greeting "Hey, you made it! That was an excellent plan ..." Once Mashug has explained the trap to the player (topic: trap, "The door opens whenever someone is standing ...", sets the journal to 20), he'll give this greeting whenever the force field is turned on.
Are you sure? I was worried about that one myself and went to check in the CS, but that greeting should only go if Mashug's local 'state' is set to 1, which only happens when he's been told to get to the exit and is succesfully there. If you saw that his state was set to 1 somewhere else, could you please post that. I had a look, but couldn't find anything.
Well, I'm not a quester, so I don't know for sure how the CS handles local variables. But in the script TR_m1_q_NassudanForceField there is a variable named "state" that is set to 1 when the forcefield is active and 0 when it is turned off. When I tried it in the game, I get the "Hey, you made it!" greeting when the forcefield is active. If I then step on the platform to turn it off and talk to him again, I get the "Have you figured out a way out of this trap yet" greeting. Perhaps renaming the state variable in the script to something else would fix this.
Last edited by wogya on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Try that (changing NassudanForceField's state) as well, Theo.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

wogya
Developer

Post by wogya »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Try that (changing NassudanForceField's state) as well, Theo.
I tried it and it works fine now.

Another solution which also explains the problem: Reverse the order of the lines "set TR_m1_Mashug_gro_Dugal.stuck to 0" and "set state to 1" in the forcefield script (and likewise the "set stuck to 1" and "set state to 0"). Apparently the script continues affecting the variables in the Mashug script once it has been called. When I changed the order of those lines, the state variable in the Mashug script was no longer prematurely changed to 1.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Morrowind scripting sucks!
I will do the fixes in last stage of map 1 alteration. Now I am fixing landscape errors and adding more encounters.
THEO
JennaK
TR Tester

Post by JennaK »

Ah, finally completed Master Mithras' quests.
2 questions:
1. Why is there no Almsivi or other shrine inside the temple? The last battle was damaging to several attributes, I ended up having to purchase potions. It seems odd that there is a shrine inside the silt strider port instead.
2. After all that work for a Telvanni master, I still did not get a promotion to spellwright. I've already done all of the Mouth quests.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Seeing as the mainland Telvanni faction will end up being about 2-3 times as big as the Vvardenfell one, you will need to do more quests to be promoted. Which rank number is spellwright?
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
JennaK
TR Tester

Post by JennaK »

I think it's rank 6, after caster.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

[url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:House_Telvanni]Yes.[/url]
montebello

Problem with Temple quest

Post by montebello »

First, after joining Temple in Ranyin-Ruhn, you have to complete pilgrimages.

I completed them, whn returning to NPC, in his dialogue he askes if pilgrimages were completed, and get stuck there. Every time you click on pilgrimages, he repeats the same thing.

However, when clicking on 3 pilgrim places, NPC asked ''you have completed the pilgrimage to..., do you still want directions?''

So my character cannot do any ''duties'', because every time pilgrimage subject pops up again, even when pilgrimages are completed.
JennaK
TR Tester

Post by JennaK »

I had no problems with gaining acknowledgement of the pilgrimmages, and received a promotion. I think I selected the individual tasks and got the approval for each that way. Did you get the "You have completed the pilgrimmage to..." message after each one?
Silly Symphonies

Post by Silly Symphonies »

And another batch of comments. They may seem a bit nitpicky (is that a word?), but that's just because you people have made sure there are only few and minor errors to be found. This project is just wonderful. I especially like it how all Telvanni masters are different of character, but they still behave like a Dunmer Telvanni should. What I also really like are the way some of the animals are designed. Especially the ornada, the molecrab and the vermai. (Don't get me wrong, the city an dungeon design, the quests, etc. are also really well done, but I personally liked the persoalities of the Telvanni masters and the design of aforementioned animals most.)

There are two questions I have: why are some Telvanni wearing Redoran/Hlaalu/Tribunal Temple clothing? In the orginal game, there were different designs of upper class clothing for Hlaalu, Telvanni, Redoran and the Temple.

The other question is: how am I to interpret the riverstrider's design? Is it an insect? Its head seems weird, and it has only 4 legs and 2 wings (instead of 6 and 4).

Anyway, some more error reports, so you people can improve this wonderful expansion even further:

4/6/2008 (23:02) TR_Map1.esm 3/26/2008 (00:33) Eigenaar
TR_m1_dead_Redram_Oran00000000 Port Telvannis, Redram Oran's House 4200 4204 14658
"Every time when clicking this body, the journal updates with the text (There is nothing on the body ... is indeed Redram Oran). So the same journal entry will appear more than once in the journal."

4/7/2008 (22:24) TR_Map1.esm 3/26/2008 (00:33) Eigenaar
Furn_De_R_Bookshelf_02 Tel Aranyon, Mithras Tower 4448 4641 15594
"After completing the Master Mithras quest line I stole the Blightcutter sword (he wouldn't give it to me) and the journal updated with (I talked to Simeth ... , help him with an affair of his.)"

4/8/2008 (23:24) TR_Map1.esm 3/26/2008 (00:33) Eigenaar
TR_m1_Q_Dead_Uneleas_R00000000 Rangirth Ancestral Tomb 5034 3958 15362
"The conversation I had with him led to the fact he went to check out the tomb himself, so I rushed after him, and we enetered the tomb together, but inside he was gone, and then I found him dead in the next room. I understand how the script/quest is supposed to work, but this (him being dead although we enter simultaneously) breaks immersion a bit."

4/8/2008 (23:28) TR_Map1.esm 3/26/2008 (00:33) Eigenaar
TR_m1_dead_Alvar_O00000000 Rangirth Ancestral Tomb 5006 4094 15362
"I told Uneleas to check the tomb himself. Inside, I first checked Uneleas body and the Alvars, and then the journal updated with (Alvar Omothan, Uneleas Rangirth his friend seems to have died ... Perhaps Uneleas was wise not to enter the tomb, if only his strength lies in his now)."

4/10/2008 (16:59) TR_Map1.esm 3/26/2008 (00:33) Eigenaar
TR_m1_Fedaves Othrendu00000000 Port Telvannis (41,17) 342400 142994 548
"The journal updated with (I have spoken to a commoner ... my reward from Ratagos will probably be greater.) That last comment (reward!) seems a little out of character for a pious, selfless Temple follower."

4/12/2008 (23:29) TR_Map1.esm 3/26/2008 (00:33) Eigenaar
TR_m1_Ratagos00000000 Ranyon-ruhn, Temple 3759 3752 14978
"I convinced ALL commoners in Telvannis to support the Temple, and when I reported back to Ratagos, there was an error message, and although the dialogue was displayed correctly, I did nog get a reward for the commoner-support part of the mission (which, according to the dialogue, would have been a robe). Furthermore, I cannot advance any further now in the mainland Temple, because clicking the duties topuc leads to the same conversation ove and over again (the de-briefing of the Port Telvannis mission, with an error message when telling how many commoners were convinced to support the Temple)."
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Every error up to now added to the error list (This is just a reminder for me)

pespespes

Post by pespespes »

Priest in mainland tribunal temple gives me a task
to make pilgrimage to all of 3 shrines.
I do it but he still refuses to give me any duties,
he thinks that I am not yet pilgrimed.
human IS an animal!
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Once you click on 'duties', have you clicked on the subsequent topic 'pilgrimages'? Try that.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

pespespes

Post by pespespes »

Yes I did but he is still just sayng where they are
and that I must do them.
human IS an animal!
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Have you actually completed them and made appropriate offerings at each? You should have a journal entry for each shrine's completion.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals