Bickering about Hammerfell and metal.

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Adamagia

Post by Adamagia »

Cool, this metal thing I am bothered about though.

I have tried to read through the discussions and accomplish what I need to, I did see a bit of an argument concerning the local availability of metal based on the location being desert, that these great black warriors who obviously have evolved all their racial traits from using metal and yet have absolutely no skill in mercantile wont be a metal based society.

Scares me really, looks like you are making the black characters sissies.

I know that in the beginning you may have wanted to keep a close hand, that is honorable, but if you really care about maintaining the Bethesda world, the Black Redguard must have metal, lots of it.

Otherwise I would think something else.

There are mineral rich rocky deserts. This other would seem personally motivated. What is going on here?
Lighter Than Some
Developer

Post by Lighter Than Some »

Hammerfell isn't entirely a desert. It has plenty of mountains and forests. From seeing other concept art, most of the metal is reserved for armor,weaponry, untensils, tools, and ship parts. Its not so much that they don't have metal but that they are conserving it for important things. This is just my understanding so lemme know if I'm completely off.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

The first thing I notice in your post, Adamagia, is an unnecessary focus on the word "black." The raga are "black warriors," "black characters," and "black Redguards"? (As if there are white Redguards?)

Black is an exceedingly poor descriptor for this culture in that they share no experience with the African-American community or the peoples of Africa itself. The defining moment for this so-called "race" was when they destroyed their own home and then came and conquered someone else's - the white man's it should be pointed out. Mr. Kirkbride, the most important writer in the series, says that he was fascinated with this inverse imperialism.

You also seem to suggest racist motivation in that we are somehow "making the black characters sissies." I feel like I must be wrong, though, in that your entire post makes little sense to me. Am I correct in interpreting it as saying that the Redguard have their "racial traits" (which means what? their strength? their skin color that you seem focused on?) because they use metal, and that our lack of focus on metal items somehow makes them sissies and against Bethesda's vision?

If I am, that's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Are you intoxicated? There is no reason a warrior culture needs to use metal for their furniture, especially not in a world like TES. They make armor out of porcelain, they make swords out of air, and there is no fucking reason they can't make chairs out of bamboo.
Last edited by Sload on Mon May 19, 2008 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

You're right Sload. It would seem to me that Adamagia is accusing us of being ethnocentric... if not flat out racist because the Redguards have dark skin, and don't use metal as a common material. I'm very offended Adamagia.
Lighter Than Some
Developer

Post by Lighter Than Some »

Well said, both of you.
Adamagia

Post by Adamagia »

The Redguard are only black by a subjective comparison, though the term black is inoffensive, if a better one were common to both Afro-American and Redguard, I would be happy to use it.

Fine, don't give the Redguard credit as armor wearers. They don't even have light armor, but you created your entire basis for the culture on 'unarmored'.

I don't think you are using a warrior model even, but a rogue one.

Wicker, I think you want to be as amazing and surprising as MW but missed on that one.

Scarcity of metal. Bah
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

It's not the scarcity of metal that explains the focus on other materials, rather the gross amount of other stuff to make things from. Why waste metal on a chair or a bed when bamboo will do the trick? And heck, porcelain armor is gospel lore, so stop considering Tamriel with an earthly mind. Hammerfellian bamboo kicks ass.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Adamagia wrote:Fine, don't give the Redguard credit as armor wearers. They don't even have light armor, but you created your entire basis for the culture on 'unarmored'.
If you want to criticize stuff, at least try to make sense. I don't get where you are getting this idea. Also, I don't see why, even if it were the case, that would somehow be bad or some form of judgment on the part of TR.
I don't think you are using a warrior model even, but a rogue one.
Gary Gygax is dead, sirrah. Stop thinking in boxes.
Wicker, I think you want to be as amazing and surprising as MW but missed on that one.
Morrowind did not even have wicker furniture. And yes, being equally amazing in a new way would be a good objective.

Besides, do you know any culture in the whole world that produces metal furniture in a non-industrial way?
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Adamagia wrote:The Redguard are only black by a subjective comparison, though the term black is inoffensive, if a better one were common to both Afro-American and Redguard, I would be happy to use it.
Black is an irrelevant word in this context, as there is no non-superficial connection between Redguard culture and black culture.
Fine, don't give the Redguard credit as armor wearers. They don't even have light armor, but you created your entire basis for the culture on 'unarmored'.
We have dozens of concepts of different kinds of armor. This thread is not about armor, it's about furniture. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid are you?
Scarcity of metal. Bah
So you know, whoever said that they must have little to no metal was probably a douchebag. We don't base our decisions on amateur guesses as to the resources provided by a region, but on what is the coolest.
pespespes

Post by pespespes »

Adamagia,
read the tamrielic lore :-D
human IS an animal!
Adamagia

Post by Adamagia »

I hope you are right and you do justice to the WARRIORS. They will never die, and I like mine bad. (I do have a nice wicker rocker for you)

As for thinking out of the box, WTF. You make a mission statement based on keeping in the box. I would not have bothered to care otherwise except to ask were you keeping your mission or should I do my own thing. Now I don't care. Bye.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

we keep in the box of bethesda (and even then only the good parts), bethesda in turn goes of of the box of real world and generic fantasy (the good parts of lore at least).
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Metal furniture is a Dwemer thing. You need machines to make a lot of them.

Here, we're talking about the cheap lower class stuff. The equivalent of our plastic garden chair.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Yeah Adamagia, go away. TR doesn't need you lowering its mean IQ.