MCP keeps on giving

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Lud
Developer Emeritus

MCP keeps on giving

Post by Lud »

[url=http://www.fliggerty.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1008&start=0]Have a look at this[/url]

Morrowind Cod patch has been updated yet again. This nifty little program has already solvd one of our long-running problems in Morrowind, by adding zoom to the world map. This latest version, among other things, adds rain/snow collision with static objects. This may not seem important at first glance, but it will mean that exteriors with a covering on top will not be rainy. To me, this says one thing: exterior caves! Now I'm not suggesting that we make an infestation of ex caves all over our landscapes, but it does allow for some extra flexibility in building landscapes, perhaps having a region of the coast with many many little caves some creature nesting in them, etc.

If we do this, we will have to make MCP a requirement, but I think that this opportunity could be worth it. This could also open up new options for city design, etc.

Thoughts?
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I've not extensively tested the rain collision feature (perhaps using the tunnel arch on the Vivec Temple Canton would be the best option), but what it seems to do is disable the rain animation after a second or so underneath a static and leave the sound playing, as I generally cannot see much rain until I leave shelter again.

True rain collision would kill FPS in the Morrowind game engine, after all. It's still a very good workaround, and should prove invaluable in freeing up the imaginations of our exterior modders :D

Considering anyone who uses our mod with any sense at all already uses the MCP for the map fix, I don't see why we shouldnt make it a requirement.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Damn!, that sounds pretty rockin' Lud.

The only thing Im worried about is the whole dependency on something external.

EDIT: I just noticed, Im already using the older version of this patch for the "map expansion". Saying which I dont think it should be that much of a problem if we use that.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

As a matter of fact, the MCP was going to become compulsory with the release of Map 3 anyway, as it clandestinely also fixes that CTD problem in Almalexia.

Regarding exterior caves, I don't think our exteriorers should be doing anything they wouldn't be doing already. We do already have several 'exterior cave' areas, so it's not like we've 'unlocked new potential' or anything, nor should we, as you say, be making these suddenly a regular feature of our work.

BTW, Cathartis, it does actually do proper collision, although rain far away can be hard to see. Check Nomadic's detailing claim, with Dreynim Spa and the Lan Orethan forest providing good showcases of the technology at work. :)

p.s. damn typing on the (I always have to tell you this) crappy DSi browser is a painful wrist melting experience...
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Evil Eye
Developer

Post by Evil Eye »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:although rain far away can be hard to see.
With snow it's much easier to see it :D