New to this

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

aura

New to this

Post by aura »

Hi all I'm currently inexperienced with alot of the cs. My main concentration is attempting to learn the scripting though, as I'm going to school for Game Software Development. I am willing to learn anything you guys have to teach. For actual programming langauges I have a basic grasping of C# and I'm learning C++. I have made a few attempts to write scripts for Oblivion and Morrowind. For my script for Oblivion I keep getting reference errors, if anyone knows how to remedy this the advice would be greatly apreciated.
FelixAmherst
Developer

Post by FelixAmherst »

Well, I know that C++ is definitely not needed for oblivion scripts. But good for you for learning it. When I tried I failed quite spectacularly.

Anywho, im not top dog when it comes to scripting. So someone like Evil Eye or anyone in the quest dep may be able to help you there. A bit more info about the error may be nice. Though they may not need it.
If you read this, send 30 jelly babies to The Midlands, England. Ill collect them later.

-- meh --

Thrig - "Real men use Firefox"
Shapeshiftr
Developer

Post by Shapeshiftr »

Elder Scroll games use a unique scripting language. C++ and other such programming languages don't work for them. There are some tutorials for MW/OB scripting on the main page, and also with a quick google search. I think I already said that...Anyway, it might be useful to know those languages, but ES scripting is pretty different.
Stryker: You're the stalker, right?

Live every day as though it were your last, and some day it will be.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Morrowind Scripting for Dummies is probably the most comprehensive guide to scripting in Morrowind you'll find. It's hosted on our tutorials section, link here: http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/files/tuts/MWSFD90_Word.zip
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
fstony
Developer

Post by fstony »

Can you be more specific in your description of your Oblivion errors and what you are trying to do?

Also, there are a couple of decent Oblivion tutorials at http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Scripting_Tutorial:_My_Second_Script
"There is but one coward on earth, and that is the coward that dare not know."
â€â€￾ W.E.B. DuBois
aura

Post by aura »

(Can you be more specific in your description of your Oblivion errors and what you are trying to do?)

the scripts that i been working on is a weapon sorter and an ingredient sorter. i have 2 reinstall my cs again, the damned thing keeps tryin to not load the mod when i try to work on it. Once I get around to it I'm wantin 2 arrange books on the shelves using scripting. I tend to collect items when i play :P i usually take nething that im able to. theres times where ill take nething that aint stuck there, so ya my inventory gets kinda full
BethesdaLove

Post by BethesdaLove »

Why script arranging books? Just create an interior cell and move the items into the render window. If you have no idea what I am talking about, have a look at the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=modding_data/tuts/dsong/first_room]My First Room[/url] tutorial.

Alternatively, if that isnt what you meant, I do apolagize.
Evil Eye
Developer

Post by Evil Eye »

FelixAmherst wrote:Evil Eye
:O Wasn't expecting that.

So you want a bookcase that takes books from your inventory and places them on the shelves?
Or what BethesdaLove said?

If the 1st, well it's not imposible, but it's not very practical. You'd have to check for every single book in the game and create replacement versions of them to place in the bookcase (I think, not that much experience with Oblivion) placing the things on the shelves would probably be the easiest thing (if Oblivion's physics don't launch it 10 ft into the air or something :P).
FelixAmherst
Developer

Post by FelixAmherst »

Evil Eye wrote:
FelixAmherst wrote:Evil Eye
:O Wasn't expecting that.

Yeah, well, I heard you were good with scripts. Hope you dont mind the reference :P.
If you read this, send 30 jelly babies to The Midlands, England. Ill collect them later.

-- meh --

Thrig - "Real men use Firefox"
fstony
Developer

Post by fstony »

Those sound like neat projects. Just so you know, your showcase scripts-if you were trying out for questing-could be much simpler. As a general rule, simple but well-executed demonstrations are the fast track to joining.

Hope to hear from you soon.
"There is but one coward on earth, and that is the coward that dare not know."
â€â€￾ W.E.B. DuBois