Occasional error when saving or autosaving

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

wildespace

Occasional error when saving or autosaving

Post by wildespace »

Started getting this after installing TR. Sometime when I save (over an already existing save, so it keeps the same name) or when autosaving when resting, I get the following error:

"Unable to complete operation due to failure renaming temp file. Temp file remains. Continue running executable?"

If I click Yes, the save isn't created.

I'm operating Windows 7.
[url]http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7440[/url]
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Re: Occasional error when saving or autosaving

Post by arvisrend »

What path have you installed Morrowind in? Is it somewhere in "My Documents"? In that case, install it somewhere else (like, in C:\Morrowind or C:\Beth\Morrowind).

Other than that, I can't help much, except I can tell you with 100% safety that this has nothing to do with TR. We don't change Morrowind.exe, and this is not something that an ESM or a BSA can mess with.

Oh, one final guess: While you are trying to save over a savegame, an antivirus is analyzing it and thus puts a file lock on the file. I don't think an antivirus actually should behave like this, though, but I'm not an expert in this.
ImaginaryDave

Post by ImaginaryDave »

Hello, wildespace. I`m going to hijack your thread. *Trollface*

I actually have a similar problem and I think this is caused by TR. When I load saves, my game sometimes crashes without explanation. No error message or anything. The reason I blame TR is that I have almost no other unofficial plugins.

Here`s a screenshot showing the mods I use.

http://i45.tinypic.com/j6n606.jpg

You might be a little suspicious of clean carryweight, but it`s just a tweak that modifies the strength-carryweight relation.

Join all houses lets me... join all houses and spawns some quest-related NPCs that I need to kill when I activate the proper quests.

Cliffracer extinction pretty much explains itself. I do not think that is the cause of the problem as I had random crashes on loading before getting that mod.