Trouble with Tribunal and Bloodmoon

Miscellaneous non-TR related discussion.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

TheLexicon

Trouble with Tribunal and Bloodmoon

Post by TheLexicon »

I've been playing Morrowind on and off for almost a year now. Recently, I've finally gotten around to completing the main questline and thus "finishing the game." I had not bothered to install Tribunal and Bloodmoon because I figured it would be better to wait until I completed the main questline so that I didn't go exploring these high-level areas prematurely (this is just one of my personal preferences, of course).

So naturally I tried installing Tribunal today. Please note that I obtained Morrowind and the expansions via The Elder Scrolls Anthology, a massive collection of every main ES game disc, including expansions, construction sets, etc.. Tribunal seemed to install alright, but none of the content would appear in my game; I was never prompted with the Dark Brotherhood assassin that started the Tribunal questline. In hindsight, I realise that this happened because I forgot to enable the tribunal.esm in the Data Files section before starting my game, but I didn't know this.

So I thought I'd try installing Bloodmoon, to see if it would fix anything. There were some delayed loading to the installation that seemed odd to me, but eventually I had Bloodmoon installed... although apparently not entirely, because some meshes and textures failed to load (this was when I remembered to enable both expansion pack files), so my game would not load. Feeling very confused, I though I would try a simple uninstallation of Morrowind entirely, and starting the installation process again from scratch.

So I did that. I think I forgot to install the Construction Set, which might be the root of my problem, but I'm not entirely sure if it's no longer there. Surprisingly to myself, my saved games were all still intact (I'm really stupid with this kind of thing, so this is actually my first attempt at adding anything to my game). After checking that, I decided to reinstall Tribunal, but not Bloodmoon, just to see if Tribunal would work. It seemed to load up all right, though when I loaded up my save it took quite a while parsing my quests and implementing that journal overhaul, which I frankly expected.

However, when I went to rest and get the assassin prompt, a lot of pop-ups appeared saying my game was unable to load the armour textures for the assassin. I decided to just go along with it and kill the assassin, but it was a horrid mess of missing textures, and everything I did seem to summon the nine or ten pop-ups about being unable to load the textures. Eventually I had enough and stopped my game, and now I'm turning to the people of these forums.

Could you tell me what I did wrong with my installation? Again, I installed with discs, not through downloads. My computer only has one disc drive; is this my problem? Or is it something else? How can I fix these issues so that I can have Tribunal, Bloodmoon, and (eventually) Tamriel Rebuilt, among other mods, running smoothly with minimal if any issues? Please help me; I'm really stupid.
But that's just my opinion, so it's likely completely stupid.
Miraclestone
Developer

Post by Miraclestone »

Is your OS Vista or higher and if so did you install your game in the programs file folder?
Dragon32

Post by Dragon32 »

[url=http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/781497-vistawindows-7-problems/#entry11345653]Failed to load snowflake: Meshes\BM_Snow01.nif[/url]?

But don't install in Program Files, as Miraclestone says.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Miraclestone wrote:Is your OS Vista or higher and if so did you install your game in the programs file folder?
My OS is Windows 8, I think. Either that or 8.1. I think I installed it there, but again, I'm stupid with this kind of thing, so maybe not.
Dragon32 wrote:[url=http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/781497-vistawindows-7-problems/#entry11345653]Failed to load snowflake: Meshes\BM_Snow01.nif[/url]?

But don't install in Program Files, as Miraclestone says.
That sounds about right. I recognise Snow01.nif, at least. Why?
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

How do I uninstall Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm?
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

I can't do or change anything! Help!
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Here's what pops up every time I encounter the assassin:

Model Load Error:
Meshes\a\A_DarkBrotherhood_Helmet.NIF
cannot load file in
Meshes\a\A_DarkBrotherhood_Helmet.NIF.
Will use the default object Marker_Error.NIF.

Continue running executable? Y/N

I don't understand what I did wrong. Maybe I didn't uninstall Tribunal or Bloodmoon when I uninstalled Morrowind? Someone please help.
Dragon32

Post by Dragon32 »

Next to impossible to work out what you've done or not done from your posts.

Use Windows to uninstall Morrowind. Then manually delete the Bethesda Softworks folder from Program Files (unless you've got Oblivion or Skyrim or...).

That should give you a clean slate.

[url=http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/781497-vistawindows-7-problems/]Read all of this thread[/url].

As described in that Bethsoft thread reinstall Morrowind then Tribunal then Bloodmoon. Add the latest patch if required (it's not needed for the GoTY edition).
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

That thread will help me even though I use Windows 8? I'll give what you suggested a try. Thanks. Sorry for being annoying.
Miraclestone
Developer

Post by Miraclestone »

The issue has to do with UAC among other things. All you need to know is the Morrowind is too old to use these features properly and it often leads to problems when installing mods and expansion. It is recommended you always install older games outside of your programs file folder for this reason.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Morrowind ran perfectly. Just started having problems when installing the expansions. Is it a good idea to let Morrowind install in its default place (program files) and then copy from there to another folder, or should I have just installed Morrowind to said folder?
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

And my stupidity caused me to completely fuck the whole thing up. Oh well. Guess I don't deserve to be able to play the expansions if I can't do anything right.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Yeah, this game will never work on my computer ever again because I forgot to run the uninstall when I deleted some files. Fuck my worthless idiotic life.
Dragon32

Post by Dragon32 »

If you've Morrowind installed then copy & paste it out of Program Files (see that Bethsoft thread).

If you've uninstalled make sure you re-install somewhere other than Program Files with administrator rights (see that Bethsoft thread).

Install order of Morrowind > Tribunal > Bloodmoon. Install expansions with administrator rights (see that Bethsoft thread).
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

No, no, no, no, no, I fucked up and now I can't fix it.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

I actually really can't do anything. I'm a fucking idiot and now I can't even run Morrowind ever again because I FORGOT TO UNINSTALL BEFORE I DELETED THE BETHSOFT FOLDER.
Dragon32

Post by Dragon32 »

You can edit your posts you know.

I seem to remember if you use the Uninstall in Windows and it can't complete the uninstall operation (like here as the folder's gone) there'll be an option to remove the program from the Add/Remove Programs list (or whatever it's called these days).
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Have you tried to undelete the files?

They should still be on your system in the recycle bin (aka trash bin). If you do not see the recycle bin, there
are instructions here [url]http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/where-is-there-recycle-in-windows-8/fe3ce945-85b8-4823-b290-df62160a7b4d[/url] on how to get to the recycle bin.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Okay, so I fixed my earlier problems, and now I'm able to run Morrowind and both expansions pretty decently. Now I'm interested in installing a few mods, specifically Tamriel Rebuilt and other province mods like Cyrodiil and Skyrim: Home of the Nords. However, I never installed mods before, and from what you can see in this thread, I'm really stupid with this kind of stuff. Anyone want to give me instructions? Someone told me to install a mod manager, but I don't know which one. I also know nothing about load orders, so some help there would be great as well.

I'm limiting myself to installing a mod manager and TR for now, but I might later install Province: Cyrodiil and Skyrim: Home of the Nords. Oh, and I haven't gotten around to installing the Bloodmoon patch yet, and I'm not sure where I go to do that. Sorry for bothering you guys.
Dragon32

Post by Dragon32 »

You can download the Bloodmoon patch from Bethsoft, not sure if you need it (it's not needed with the GoTY edition), I think if you try and install it and it's not needed you'll get a message.

For installing mods, as you only intend to install a couple I'd suggest [url=http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/106063-morrowind-mods-faq/page__view__findpost__p__1772866]doing it manually[/url].