?Texturing in GMAX?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

The Mad God

?Texturing in GMAX?

Post by The Mad God »

How do I do it?

I have made some models, but can neither texture them, nor export them into NIFs. I know I need someone with 3DS to export them, but I would like to have them done before I ask to have them exported.

In case anyone's curius, the models I made are of a Dwarven Submersible (Dwarven not Dwemer, it's from Death Gate).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

download this: www.psychodogstudios.net/downloads/uv_high.avi
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Dwarven and Dwemer are supposed to be the same thing, Dwemer is the race name, dwarven is used when describing something(ex dwarven ruins).

Gmax to my knowledge is utterly useless for morrowind. You can't save/export to any format that 3dsmax opens or to nif. Rajevir found a way a long time ago, but you lose the texture mapping and animation i think.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
The Mad God

Post by The Mad God »

Actually it's just Dwarven. Like I mentioned in my post, the models are (conceptually) from Death Gate not TES.

As to not being able to open Gmax in 3DS, are you sure? I would hate to think that I just wasted 3 days.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There is a method :) Though I cant recall it..
The Mad God

Post by The Mad God »

Well, if you think it's possible, I'll keep looking for the way to import.

This was the first mod I ever wanted to do, and it tore me up to discover that I needed modeling skills I didn't possess.

Now that I've got the models made, it's even worse thinking that I'm being held back by a technical limitation.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

I just spent the last two days about how to do it and it can be done by exporting to m3d and using 3dsmax to import the m3d. It is kind of a detour but I haven't found a faster way yet (which there should be, but probably real moddelers can tell how).
On top of that the textures tend to get screwed if I do it but I'm not sure if that's because I am totally hopeless at texturing or if the export is bugging. I tend to think it's the first (I just do something, I haven't got the hang of UV Map or UV Unwrap at all yet).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Can you upload the script? I'm very curious how my claws looks in game :)
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

You need 3DSMax, do you have it? It's just a way to get .gmax file into the game, but you still need 3DSMax.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'll just get someone to import it into 3d max :) Anyway if I had 3ds max what would I be doing in gmax?? :)
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

That's why I asked :)

Attached are md3 exporter for gmax and importer for 3dsmax, just for anybody who wants them.

If anyone knows a better way, which there surely is, please let me know.
The Mad God

Post by The Mad God »

Thank you Vegor.

I'll download those files once I get this post up.

I was starting to think I'd need to do the whole thing over again (three days of work with only the values of the old vertexes to show for it).

Someone on the Elder Scrolls boards answered my plea for help, and I'm going to see if he can help me. These files should make things a lot easier.

Thank you again, so very much.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Vegor, where do I put the dle file and how do I use it?
The Mad God

Post by The Mad God »

I couldn't get that to work correctly. I ended up just remaking all my models in 3d studio.

BTW, I'm having trouble applying an ingame texture. If anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

textures have to be in factors of 2
ie 64x64 or 64*128 or 256 by 256 yada yada
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

The files go into the plugin directory.
The Mad God

Post by The Mad God »

I got the textures working finally. It turns out I just needed to rescale the UVW Map. Thank you all for your help.

The models are finally starting to come together.
Ghost1235

Post by Ghost1235 »

i know i might be ressurecting this thread, but mif i give you guys a 3ds file, will you make it a NIF for me?
Freelancer
Nerevarine
Master of Orion the 2nd
Super-paintball Guy
Prince of Persia
Destroyer of the Shagohod
Savior of Spira ( twice)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

sure, post it here
Contributions:
Nord Architecture,