Creature Creation Team

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Ace_Pro7

Creature Creation Team

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

Hey if anyone would like to start a Creature Creation Team you can join up. If you can...

-Model
-Texture Map
or...
-Rigg & Animate...

Either PM me or just post it on this Topic...

-Ace :D
"Each event is preceded by prophecy, but without the hero there is no event" - Zurin Arctus the Underking

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Contact Vorrheis - he's a whole Creature Animation Team by himself. :lol:
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

Im worried about our creature department... aka Vorrheis, he hasnt been posting as much as he was before.... next time hes online lets all give him a big ole hug! hehe

seriously, though COME BACK VORRHEIS :( please ?
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Ace_Pro7

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

would you like to join Majra? Texturing maybe?

"Each event is preceded by prophecy, but without the hero there is no event" - Zurin Arctus the Underking

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Vorrheis PM'd me a week or so ago that he was very busy. I suspect that he needed a break - and we can all relate with that. :sad:
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

indeed, I wont be joining Im already doing so much more, besides Im sure others can make better creatures than me, I'll stick to doing everything else possible :P

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

Well, I've been lurking here for long enough, it's high time I offer my services.

I am willing to model, if you've got concept art of creatures you want, and an approximate max-polycount, (I never know what the limits are,) I will do my best.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Yes, Vorrheis is very busy. I talked to him before, work in real life is very busy, but he'll be back :D
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I'll create textures.. count me in.

Hey there Eyeball, nice to see you decided to join in :) ... and you're British Columbian no less. :P

As for concept art... Spider has done a large number of creature drawings. He's mostly drawn creatures for skyrim. You can find all of his drawings in the Official TR Concept Art Thread. This link will start you on page seven...close to around when Spider joined.

[url]http://forums.tamriel-rebuilt.org/viewtopic.php?t=4238&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120[/url]

An example of his work:

[url]http://forums.tamriel-rebuilt.org/download.php?id=1578[/url]

[url]http://forums.tamriel-rebuilt.org/download.php?id=1796[/url]
Ace_Pro7

CCT

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

Thanks for offering your services you guys. I have a task for you Morden, I have painted 1 texture in PS6 and if you dont mind, i would ask you to Map it. If you think the texture sucks, create a new one, if you like it then try to stick with the same color sceme. I'll PM you the mesh.

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Ace_Pro7

spider

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

Ill ask Spider if he will draw Side and Front views for Meshing.

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

I don't want to join but I have a small request:
please ppl make Dwemer Homunculus and Kamikadze Bomber. I forgot were I saw Homunculus sketches but Makikadze ones can be found [url=http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/download.php?id=2288]here[/url]
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

I'll join if you want me in. Although I suspect my specific style of art is more geared towards armor and weapons than creatures.
My Dwemer Homuculus is at this link:
http://forums.tamriel-rebuilt.org/download.php?id=2226

If you want me to do anything in specific, PM me and I will see what I can churn out for you.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Ace_Pro7

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

we should start with the Morrowind meshes that are on the New And Improved Uber Creature Guide. Let's make a list...

1. The first thing that is going to happen is we are going to get Dexter to draw a side and front view of the creature. I don't think we'll worry about a top view (as i model most stuff only using a side view, and front view is a luxury). And then if Dexter wants he can draw a Persp view.

2. The Modelers will take the Pictures and Model an exact model to the right proportions.

3. The Texture Mappers will take the Mesh and create textures and Map them.

4. The Animators (we don't have one yet) will take the completed mesh and Bipe it and create the animation loops.

-Message for the Drawers- try to find info on the creatures before you draw, or maybe a pic that Bethesda drew that you could look off of for the side and front view.

LIST OF TODO's (from Uber Creature Guide)...
1. Mudcrab (Titan)
2. Nix Hound (Rogue)
3. Ogre (this one will be FUN!!! :D )

-That should be enough to get us started... so... Dexter? feeling artistic? :P

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

eh, ace_pro, you still have to prove you can make a single complete creature before you should head up something like this. Yes you did well so far with the sload, but thats not even close to being complete. IMHO Vorrheis should lead the creature creation team as he by himself has doubled the rest of the modding worlds creature creations, not to mention in much better quality than any of the rest of the modding community.

BTW, where the heck is vorrheis, COME BACK!! please :(

Ace_Pro7

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

You didn't see my pics for the TR Videos! The Sload can be our first project then.

-Ace :evil:
<^!^^

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Spider

Post by Spider »

I'd be happy to help out. I've been a bit busy lately at work and home, but if you let me know what creature(s) you want to start modeling on I can generally get you the views you need by the next day at the very latest. I'll even start getting a few of them done ahead of time so as to get a head start on things. Just give dexter or myself a holler, between us we can knock things out pretty quick.
"More famous than Jesus, and better dressed than Santa Claus.
You won't find me down a chimney, and I wouldn't be caught dead on a cross.
So give me your money, because I deserve it more."
Ace_Pro7

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

Awsome, I'm currently in the process of finding out if i can get ahold of a .nif plug-in for Maya (or else ill have to learn 3DS Max really quick). Dexter has started drawing pictures of an Ogre. Spider you should draw some pic's so that we can decide what we want the Ogre to look like.

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Majra wrote:eh, ace_pro, you still have to prove you can make a single complete creature before you should head up something like this. Yes you did well so far with the sload, but thats not even close to being complete. IMHO Vorrheis should lead the creature creation team as he by himself has doubled the rest of the modding worlds creature creations, not to mention in much better quality than any of the rest of the modding community.

BTW, where the heck is vorrheis, COME BACK!! please :(
Much like Assasin didnt know how to script before he lead the script thingy? :P
Ace_Pro7

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

Well i just think that Majra is scared that we are gonna' do a crappy job. Don't worry about it man, I PM'd Vorhies to see if he would like to join.

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Haha :D Who cares if our creature look like crap. There's no time like the present to learn. Then if Vorrheis comes back we'll have an even bigger creature team. :)

PS. I can only create textures. I can't actually map them directly on the nif because i don't have 3dsmax. What i do is switch 'placement' textures with he ones i create, using "NifTexture", and i check my progress in the construction set. It works great for ppl without Max.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Actually I knew how to script before I started it although I had only finished one or two little scripts. However I agree since vor isn't here to lead the team it might as well be done by someone else. Even without Vor I think we have the talent to make some good creatures. So good luck guys and show us what you can do.
Spider

Post by Spider »

Ace_pro, which ogre do you want? This one?
http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/v149/JTI_77/Ogre.jpg
Or this one?
http://forums.tamriel-rebuilt.org/download.php?id=2190
Or this one?
http://forums.tamriel-rebuilt.org/download.php?id=2518

Take your pick and I'll start doing a front & side view.

The concept art thread seems to have grown into a monster itself. If you like what I can do is sift through it & provide a link to all the creatures concepts here in one post. That will help cut down on time wasted trying to sift through there looking for a particular concept.

Also you might want to look at the Uber Creature guide. Assassinace has been kind enough to post a pic for most all of the lore based creatures, aand he keeps it pretty up to date.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Man if you tell people it's up to date I'll have to start updating it more :p
(however the creatures if not the pics are up to date.)
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

For all of you who don't check my new post;

I'll be busy with work until the end of the summer.

As for the creature creation team, WONDERFUL idea. I've tried to get one started for a while. It goes like this:
A new modeller shows up.
They express interest in creatures and animation.
I answer a lot of questions for them.
I then give them links to wonderful animation tutorials (DarkIllusions).
I post the 3ds. files for an animated creature.
I explain note tracks.
Then they vanish.

It goes really well up until they realize that it's hard and takes a lot of work.
I'm not being discouraging, but not everyone finds creature making enjoyable. If you guys get a few dedicated modellers together and start a team, I'll be so friggin' happy when I get back. With a good 5 animators, we can do about 50 monsters for each province. That would rock!!
I do wish you luck, and will offer any help I can when I have a layover. Just PM any questions.

On another note, Greybeard is in charge of Creatures of Tamriel, so he would be in charge of this. I'm sure he wouldn't mind some administrative help, but he would have final say on anything creature related. Don't worry, he is very nice and wicked smart. He compiles the stats and stuff, and finds sounds for the soundgen note tracks.

Without further ado, I hereby apply to join the Creature Creation Team.
Gimli the dwarf

Post by Gimli the dwarf »

50 creatures per province... *drools* oh yeah!

I may not be able to work on creatures but if I had a scanner I've got some original creations in my sketchbook several of which I believe could be translated into Tamriel.

I do think this is a superb idea and hopefully with Ace_pro, Eyeball88 (did he join?), Morden, Spider, Dexter, and now Vorrheis we can have a much more organized system of creature creation.
Shaper of Worlds
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

vorrheis wrote:As for the creature creation team, WONDERFUL idea. I've tried to get one started for a while. It goes like this:
A new modeller shows up.
They express interest in creatures and animation.
I answer a lot of questions for them.
I then give them links to wonderful animation tutorials (DarkIllusions).
I post the 3ds. files for an animated creature.
I explain note tracks.
Then they vanish.

It goes really well up until they realize that it's hard and takes a lot of work.
I'm not being discouraging, but not everyone finds creature making enjoyable. If you guys get a few dedicated modellers together and start a team, I'll be so friggin' happy when I get back. With a good 5 animators, we can do about 50 monsters for each province. That would rock!!
I do wish you luck, and will offer any help I can when I have a layover. Just PM any questions.
I will try valiantly not to disappoint you, vorrheis. Your work has amazed me at every stop. I will admit that I'm still learning animation and texturing, and that my modeling isn't the best, but I am willing to help however I can.
Ace_Pro7.1(Upgraded!)

Post by Ace_Pro7.1(Upgraded!) »

Welcome to the team Vorhies (would your name happen to be "Jason" by any chance?) I know that i may not be the perfect person to lead the team but like Morden said this is a learning experience, and someone had to take lead so why not me? but anyway, ive seen your work Vorhies and i cant wait to work with you.

Ace_Pro7.1(Upgraded!)

Post by Ace_Pro7.1(Upgraded!) »

Hmm, I like em both. Dex said that he would alter his so i think we should wait till he does that. Also i think we should all decide which picture we want to do. I like the first on but i think that the horn should be removed. The second one is good but the head should be altered. but thats just my opinion. We should all decide.

Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I like the first one. I think the horn is good at distinguishing the ogre. With out the horn he may look to much like a human..just a bigger stinkier version. Perhaps we could take the horn from the first pic, and then add some animated flies around it from the second pic. :)
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/download.php?id=2696
Here is my modified Ogre. I pigged him up a little. He seems to have misplaced his trademark club at the moment, but use your imagination.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

give it a horn and it shall rule all.
Also, i'd like to sign up but NOT FOR MODELLING - i am signing up to give ideas for completely new creatures. Coming up with fresh new things based off an existing model (lore in this case) is my speciality; which is why I cant do anything too well in maya :lol: .
For example, we could have huge, carnivorours flightless birds for southern morrowind (translation: maps 6 and 4) with very powerful beaks and high speed, but they tire out easily and are slightly rare outside of the argon jungle or balseth canyon or south of narsis(with how crowded dres territory is, they can hardly survive due to being hunted there).
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

So is it decided that the Ogre has a horn? I kept mine without one because I feel that the horn takes away from it's stupid, pig-ape feel. But if that is what everyone want's, I'll horn him up. Ew.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Ace_Pro7

Ogre

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

ooh, i like that idea, but i think that all creature ideas will have to be okay'd by GrayBeard. I like the ogre Dex. You've got a nice side and front view too. I don't mind if we add the horn. That would give it some distinction. As for the textures for the Ogre (directed at Morden) I think that you should give him some belly tatoos (like in Warcraft III) that would look cool, also some facial tatoos, that would look cool as well. How should we model the Ogre. Should we model it so that it could wear armour and stuff?(NPC Race) or should we just make a bunch of different ones?

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

I think as far as textures go, we should focus on making the Ogre look dirty. Some tattooes could work, but if it is overdone, the contrast between the tattoo and the skin will take away from the dirty feel.
Again, I am no fantasy buff here, and I am just assuming that Ogres are dirty stinkin' animals. If I am wrong, somebody correct me.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Ace_Pro7

Post by Ace_Pro7 »

Yeah, they're dirty and stinky. Also maybe some stretch-marks would work since Ogre's are Fat :P

-DREAM THEATER can play!
Gimli the dwarf

Post by Gimli the dwarf »

Maybe you could give him a little stubby horn or horns on his head that look like nodguls and not so much horns. Also I think it'd be cool if the tatoos were etches and carvings in the flesh rather then ink, since ogres are generally brutish, uncivilized, and aggressive.
Shaper of Worlds
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Ritual scarring, I like that. Maybe some crude, Celtic-style designs on their stomach, and something on their shoulders.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Spider

Post by Spider »

It seems to me that filling a forum page with everyone's opinion on how to tweak a concept sketch to everyone's liking is a bit of a space and time killer. My thought is that the modeller who takes up creating a given creature should use his/her own license in creating it. Comments and suggestions can then be given as the modeller displays the progress on the creature.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

It seems to me that filling a forum page with everyone's opinion on how to tweak a concept sketch to everyone's liking is a bit of a space and time killer.
The more discussion the better. That way we end up agreeing on something, and the modeller doesn't waste time making something nobody is happy with. Its also just a method of generating ideas. In anycase, we're only discussing surface features that will be added during the texture phase.