Children of Tamriel Project Update Winter 2023

1 post / 0 new
Mordigant's picture
Mordigant
1 year 8 months ago

Progress on the project is slow but steady. My process has changed for now though. Therefore there will be no WIP updates for the foreseeable future.

Every time TR has a major update, I have to rework some of the work I had already done. This didn't break things as much with the November update as the one that destroyed the concept version I put out a half decade ago before the data rework, however I realized that with TR constantly being a moving target I would like to come up with a system where I don't have to undo or redo parts I have already done.As such moving forward I am restarting the ESP file. I will remake all the kids I already made, since I am attached to a few of them as characters, but will not yet assign them to towns. Instead my esp file for now will be a collection of unplaced kids and I am not giving too much consideration to demographics at this time. It will be about 70% Dunmer kids and 30% a mix of the other races in order to reflect overall demographics of the continent. In a year or two I will start placement in cities again based on city demographics but for now I am going to just make the characters. Since the scope of the previous project included intentions to include the Project Tamriel Skyrim and Cyrodiil areas, I will also create separate esp files that contain unplaced kids for those provinces, with 70% Nord and 60% Imperial respectively. My goal is to create 800 kids for each esp and then place them as the projects develop. The process to generate kids in the editor is actually pretty simple, so I should have these files ready towards the end of the year, at least the TR one. Then with each new release 2024 on, I can create a new file from my "library" file, and then if and when TR actually ever completes I'll drop in whoever is left wherever it makes sense to add extra kids so none is left behind. The plan for now is about 50/50 male female and 50/50 littles and teens for each collection of kids.

When my "library" esps are complete I will make them available in case you want to do your own placements, since it may be years before I am able to complete the actual placements. I am also going to make my niece as one special child NPC who works a little differently, as an easter egg, that if you know the sequence you can console in one of the children to activate it and make her appear. I'm still working on deciding what the actual sequence is but it will require talking to one of the regular child characters at the least.

Dialog is a thing that I still want to work on, though may not be done in time for the 1.0 versions of the "library" esps. Littles will probably just keep the generic CoM dialog but the idea I had in the other concept post where all the teens have a unique character introduction is still something I want to make a reality. I still am not skilled enough as a character writer so that portion of the project is on hold while I am focused on generating the character objects in the editor.

I will accept requests if you want to contribute a design for a kid character, though if they are meant for a specific town keep in mind you will have to remind me in a couple years.